Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 11:14 AM

25 posts, read 56,137 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I have Jury Duty in Camden next week--for first time!! Does anyone have recent experience doing this? Someone just told me better to take PATCO. . .said the Jury Parking lot is a mess! If I do that, is it better to get off at City Hall or Broadway? Is one any safer than the other?
Also, do jurors bring their lunches? Or are there any places to buy decent food?
Appreciate any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,072 times
I just did Jury duty and thought the parking lot was just fine. It was basically empty and just a block away from the court house.

They do not provide lunch, but give an hour or so for you to go and get lunch. I wound up going to some pizza place a few blocks away from the court house with some of the other folks who were there for the day.

They never called my number, so I just sat in the waiting room all day. I would suggest bringing something to read or work on, in the event you also wind up sitting around all day.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:58 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,054,579 times
I just did it too. I took PATCO to City Hall, walked across the street and its right there. You check in then sit and wait for your number to be called. They give a lot of direction so don't worry.

Bring your phone, ipad or kindle so as not to be bored. They have the TV on as well. No one really talks to each other. The people that did talk to me just wanted to complain about jury duty so I just smiled and went back to reading.

My number was called, went up the elevator to the room. Filled out a questionaire. It was a murder case that would take 4 weeks. I told the judge i didn't have the money for daycare ( I'm a stay at home mom) I was excused and had to go back down stairs. It kinda sucked because I did want to serve but I couldn't afford 4 weeks of daycare.

BE RESPECTFUL OF THE JUDGE. Ours was a hard ass. She told us to be quiet, sit our purses on the floor, even told us to turn our questionnaires over and listen to her. She yelled at people who didn't do what she wanted. I left early on, but I wouldn't be surprised if those people were not added to the jury just because they didn't listen.

As I went to go sit back down the lady at the front had us all go to lunch. There are a bunch of food trucks outside. There is a Bank across the street with an ATM. Very safe.

I got a slice of pizza, drink and granola bar for $5 or so. You can also buy food in the little snack area in the building (cash only). They really don't have much.

So after lunch I sat down again in the jury room. At about 3:00pm they said they had all the jurors they needed. You lined up at the podium and they handed you your letter that said you served. (Keep that in case you get another summons this year)

I went across the street, got on PATCO, went home. Easy Peasy.

Parking is not hard either but traffic sucks in the morning and I didn't want to deal with it. in 2005 I did drive. It was fine but I told myself next time take PATCO, it's easier.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:59 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,054,579 times
PS There are a ton of jurors, cops, lawyers etc... all around. Its very safe.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:41 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
PS There are a ton of jurors, cops, lawyers etc... all around. Its very safe.
That whole area around the courthouse, transportation center, Rutgers, waterfront, etc. is pretty safe. I wouldn't want to wander around there at night, but it's not a big deal during the day.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:47 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
Its fine. I did it for Jury duty last year. Took the riverline right to the courthouse. Easy piezy

Old 09-18-2013, 07:16 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
Remember your right to jury nullification - if you don't agree with the law (e.g. a law making marijuana, which is safer than alcohol or tobacco, illegal), you can vote not guilty even if you believe the person did violate the law. The idea is that the government cannot convict someone of a violating an unjust law, and the juror is the ultimate "check and balance." This is a right that goes back centuries and you have an absolute right to jury nullification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia