Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 8,943 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility we may be moving to the Philly area and I find myself gravitating toward Cherry Hill NJ for many reasons. But I've noticed the housing market seems to be very slow. There are many nice looking houses (at least as they appear online) that have been on the market for over 100 days, some for over 200 days, some for over 400 days! Why is the market so slow there? It makes me concerned about investing in a home there in case we end up having to leave later and are stuck with an overpriced house that won't sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 05:45 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanava View Post
There is a possibility we may be moving to the Philly area and I find myself gravitating toward Cherry Hill NJ for many reasons. But I've noticed the housing market seems to be very slow. There are many nice looking houses (at least as they appear online) that have been on the market for over 100 days, some for over 200 days, some for over 400 days! Why is the market so slow there? It makes me concerned about investing in a home there in case we end up having to leave later and are stuck with an overpriced house that won't sell.
It is not unusual to see homes on market for 100 days at this time of the year. Nothing much happens in Nov and the winter months. Cherry Hill is known for their high taxes but good school. If you are looking to buy in SJ or Cherry Hill, I certainly hope you are not looking at it as "investing".

Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
South Jersey has been pretty slow. In Philadelphia city limits and in the PA suburbs, things are moving much quicker.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:07 PM

7 posts, read 8,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
If you are looking to buy in SJ or Cherry Hill, I certainly hope you are not looking at it as "investing".
If you don't look at a house as an investment, then why bother buying? Obviously there are other reasons, but I wouldn't want to buy a house in an area and then five years down the line, have it take 200+ days to sell and lose money on it. I agree it's a slow time of year, but it still seems an excessive number of houses on the market for a very long time.

I just bring it up because while we are gravitating toward CH for many other reasons, it may be reason enough to take it off the list?

Maybe things will start to change in a few weeks.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanava View Post
If you don't look at a house as an investment, then why bother buying? Obviously there are other reasons, but I wouldn't want to buy a house in an area and then five years down the line, have it take 200+ days to sell and lose money on it. I agree it's a slow time of year, but it still seems an excessive number of houses on the market for a very long time.

I just bring it up because while we are gravitating toward CH for many other reasons, it may be reason enough to take it off the list?

Maybe things will start to change in a few weeks.

Sometimes it doesn't make sense to buy. If one isn't sure about long term renting in the area where you have access to good school is a possibilities but you may be limited in your options when it comes to renting. Owning a $400K-$500K homes in Cherry Hill isn't cheap with regards to property tax.

Remember, buying and selling homes cost money. That money usually come from buy/seller. If you want to buy a house as an investment, you buy a fixer upper. Fix it up and live in for a few years to avoid capital gains. That's an investment! You buy an expensive SFH in high carrying cost area, you don't expect to make money.

A house that isn't price properly or listed at the wrong time may take 200+ days to finish the sale.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:56 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
I live in Millville. We have seen nice houses in a very good neighborhood on the market for 2+ years. South Jersey is slow.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:57 PM

23 posts, read 97,555 times
We've been watching the CH housing market like hawks for the last 12 months. It was very slow over the winter months and like usual since mid-March the houses have been listed as pending in a couple weeks or less. Several houses that had been on the market for 100+ days or re-listed after winter were under contract in a matter of weeks. I suspect it was mostly just the time of year with the occasional problem house ("as-is", busy street, etc.) that you saw.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:07 AM

75 posts, read 110,336 times
I have to agree with Elsasmom. I've been keeping an eye on certain neighborhoods in Cherry Hill, and I have seen a spike in activity and much shorter times on market since mid-March. I'm glad I bought in November.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:03 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
Update - I live in Millville in a very good neighborhood on Union Lake. Two houses just sold and at good prices.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:21 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
Things are definitely looking up. Yes, some areas are slower than others but it's a steady growth with very few dips. We will be selling property sooner than we thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia