Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 11:48 AM

125 posts, read 210,621 times

Advertisements

What towns/cities/villages/townships are considered part of South Jersey?
A friend of mine is saying Marlton, and Medford are not considered south jersey? Is this true?
Is there a map somewhere to display this?

Thanks so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 12:11 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Marlton and Medford are not in Northern New Jersey. There's no official line between Northern and Southern NJ.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:52 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,033 times
Anything below I-195 No one in Marlton or Medford would be caught dead saying they are from North Jersey. People who say they are from Central Jersey are just people that can't decide between North and South. Shore people are a different species.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:53 PM

155 posts, read 372,064 times
I don't know the rules, but I've always kind of thought about like this:

Getting north of Mount Holly becomes North Jersey and basically the Philly suburbs and S / SE are all basically South Jersey.

I've seen it delineated Central Jersey as well which would probably be the Philly burb area.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:59 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Official demarcation by the state of NJ

1]North Zone:

]Those portions of Bergen, Essex

]Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Morris

Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union and Warren

[counties lying north beginning at the intersection

]of US Rt. 1 and the Delaware River at Trenton

]then north along Rt. 1 to its intersection with

I-287; then south along I-287 to its intersection

with Rt. 440; then east along Rt. 440 to the

]NJ-NY state line

]South Zone: ]Those portions of Atlantic, Burlington

]Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester]

]Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean and Salem

]counties lying south of the aforementioned line

Last edited by Kracer; 08-03-2015 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-03-2015, 01:56 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
There is nothing official. Everyone has their own opinion, although I will confidently say that anyone who is of the opinion that Marlton and Medford are not South Jersey is a straight up loon. They are half an hour away from Philly!

For the record, I am of the opinion that Central Jersey is definitely a distinct area from both "North" and "South." Some say "there is none", and I strongly disagree. There is no greater proof for the existence of a distinct Central Jersey than Trenton itself.

On an interesting note though, I recently visited Sea Isle City in Cape May County, and a pizzeria in there had a tip jar competition...one was for "Eagles" and another for "Giants" (no Jets? lol), and the Giants jar had more money in it.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:31 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysable View Post
What towns/cities/villages/townships are considered part of South Jersey?
A friend of mine is saying Marlton, and Medford are not considered south jersey? Is this true?
Is there a map somewhere to display this?

Thanks so much.
The following Counties are South Jersey: Burlington, Camden, Atlantic, Gloucester, Salem, Cumberland, & Cape May.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:42 PM

402 posts, read 752,164 times
It's always been where the Radio stations change to me.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:31 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,247,513 times
Friends of ours born and raised in Tuckerton consider Toms River, Ocean County and above North Jersey.

When we first moved to Barnegat back in '73, each town had 1 traffic light and the State Police were on call for each of the small towns at night. All the towns from Cape May up to Toms River were and still are considered Southern, NJ.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:57 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
To me, on the east side, I think Toms River is the first town that is Central Jersey. On the west side, I would say Florence is the first...right above Burlington. On the east side, Perth Amboy is the first North Jersey town, while on the west, it's Lopatcong...right above Phillipsburg.

Maybe at one point, Toms River was rightfully South Jersey, but I feel like that has changed. It's definitely more mixed, and honestly, probably skews more North than South. Whereas, Florence/Bordentown on the west side still skew more South than North. Pretty much, it's about proximity to either NYC or Philly. So, it's not just a matter of how far north or south but also how far east or west.

But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia