Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
We have only posted them numerous times. Go back and read.

When did you become the official spokesman for "GoPhils" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Cooper River has been dredged and cleaned up a bit. I used to fish there growing up and on hot days it stunk.
Yes, it's quite a bit cleaner now!

Google Image Result for http://www.ccmua.org/gifs/newhome.jpg

Old 04-28-2009, 01:19 PM

3 posts, read 8,793 times
I find it incredible that anyone would defend Rutgers Camden Campus or the city of Camden itself. I attended Rutgers Camden and it is a dangerous and ugly urban wast land. I have lived only 15min from Camden my entire life. So I am a very credible source of information. My mother also worked at a Camden highs school so I can tell you all about it.

Rutgers Camden is only able to be kept "safe" because the campus is quarantined from the neighborhood/ghetto with fences. The university is required to have their own campus security guards that walk up and down the sidewalk to deter muggings. Once as you leave the safety of the campus your on your own. Even with the guards, it is common for cars on the campus to be broken into and students robbed. Just ask any of the local police, they sit around on their butts around the campus area and wont enter the heart of the ghetto because the streets are lawless. The fences around the campus have been a recent addition, my brother, cousin, and sister attended Rutgers Camden before the fences were installed.....all of their cars had smashed window. The criminals only took a few CD's, unbrella, and the change in the glovebox.

Camden has become so run down that there is no income because all the business's have been robbed, run down, and left town. All the shops left have bars and locks on the windows and you pay through a glass window.

Since there is no source of income the people are left in a self perpetuating poverty spiral. The school systems are just as run down as the houses and are inadequate to afford the simplest computers or text books. Not that it matters, because the kids are raised in the streets and 80% come from broken homes without positive parental influences. Anything that is not locked down and chained to the floor is stolen from the schools anyway.

Ghetto Camden is a very dangerous place to walk or even drive. The road ways are in total disrepair and it is as though you have been placed in a third world country. At night the streets come alive with drug dealers, prostitutes, and gangs of thugs who own their city block.

If you don't believe me, I don't care. I was just driving my motorcycle through Camden last night to experience some of New Jersey's most curupt and dishuvoled city. I think its important to experience these places first hand so you can truly understand what type of environments exist out in this country. It will give you a better understanding of people who are born into poverty and you can make you own opinions with what you can actually see with your eyes.

I know I wont win any friends by saying this but 90% of the people in Camden are racist and have contempt towards outsiders. As I drove by the men in the streets were screaming and throwing their urban hand signs as I drove by. Others attempted to flag me down, some wanted to fight, others to sell me drugs. Prostitutes just stare and walk, and kids play in the dark and burnout row homes. I turned around when I reached the point were all the street lights have all been smashed and the road was to dark to avoid the potholes from the disrepaired roads.

I will gladely take anyone on a tour of Camden if they dont believe me. I could easily drop you off on a corner where you would thank god to leave the place alive. The people are animals and will rip you apart if your weak and lost.

Please send me a message if you actually want to take a a ride and experence Camden for yourself. Then you can form your own opinion. If your going to disagree with what I said or dont believe what I wrote about camden, then prove it to yourself. Go out and walk through the ghetto with me at 1am and see how safe it is. I know all the hot spots! More then willing and glad to take you on a tour.

contact_chris_here@yahoo.com

Last edited by CampusCamp; 04-28-2009 at 01:30 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampusCamp View Post
I find it incredible that anyone would defend Rutgers Camden Campus or the city of Camden itself. I attended Rutgers Camden and it is a dangerous and ugly urban wast land. I have lived only 15min from Camden my entire life. So I am a very credible source of information. My mother also worked at a Camden highs school so I can tell you all about it.

Rutgers Camden is only able to be kept "safe" because the campus is quarantined from the neighborhood/ghetto with fences. The university is required to have their own campus security guards that walk up and down the sidewalk to deter muggings. Once as you leave the safety of the campus your on your own. Even with the guards, it is common for cars on the campus to be broken into and students robbed. Just ask any of the local police, they sit around on their butts around the campus area and wont enter the heart of the ghetto because the streets are lawless. The fences around the campus have been a recent addition, my brother, cousin, and sister attended Rutgers Camden before the fences were installed.....all of their cars had smashed window. The criminals only took a few CD's, unbrella, and the change in the glovebox.

Camden has become so run down that there is no income because all the business's have been robbed, run down, and left town. All the shops left have bars and locks on the windows and you pay through a glass window.

Since there is no source of income the people are left in a self perpetuating poverty spiral. The school systems are just as run down as the houses and are inadequate to afford the simplest computers or text books. Not that it matters, because the kids are raised in the streets and 80% come from broken homes without positive parental influences. Anything that is not locked down and chained to the floor is stolen from the schools anyway.

Ghetto Camden is a very dangerous place to walk or even drive. The road ways are in total disrepair and it is as though you have been placed in a third world country. At night the streets come alive with drug dealers, prostitutes, and gangs of thugs who own their city block.

If you don't believe me, I don't care. I was just driving my motorcycle through Camden last night to experience some of New Jersey's most curupt and dishuvoled city. I think its important to experience these places first hand so you can truly understand what type of environments exist out in this country. It will give you a better understanding of people who are born into poverty and you can make you own opinions with what you can actually see with your eyes.

I know I wont win any friends by saying this but 90% of the people in Camden are racist and have contempt towards outsiders. As I drove by the men in the streets were screaming and throwing their urban hand signs as I drove by. Others attempted to flag me down, some wanted to fight, others to sell me drugs. Prostitutes just stare and walk, and kids play in the dark and burnout row homes. I turned around when I reached the point were all the street lights have all been smashed and the road was to dark to avoid the potholes from the disrepaired roads.

I will gladely take anyone on a tour of Camden if they dont believe me. I could easily drop you off on a corner where you would thank god to leave the place alive. The people are animals and will rip you apart if your weak and lost.

Please send me a message if you actually want to take a a ride and experence Camden for yourself. Then you can form your own opinion. If your going to disagree with what I said or dont believe what I wrote about camden, then prove it to yourself. Go out and walk through the ghetto with me at 1am and see how safe it is. I know all the hot spots! More then willing and glad to take you on a tour.

contact_chris_here@yahoo.com
Mr. DailyJournalist thinks its an up an coming location with a great waterfront and "luxury" condos !!!!! Maybe he just needs glasses ??? LOL

Old 04-28-2009, 02:38 PM

There is a new condo building to the right of the campus that was build from an abandoned warehouse. The condo is gated and fenced in. It is on the south side of the campus where housing that is mostly rented out to students of the university is.

Its a few blocks that leads around the south side of the campus that is quarantined from the ghetto. This is where there is one new condo building and another one that was supposed to be under construction. These few blocks around the campus was always a "safer" spot because its isolated from the ghetto.

Yet, Just one block away over the fence, north of the campus is where the Ben Franklin line is. The Ben Franklin is the fenced in area where the lawless danger zone is. Rutgers is like a little island in a sea of crap. They literally fenced off the ghetto the best they could. There might be "revitalized" sections south of the Ben Franklin around the campus, but that is little consolation to the reality of the situation.

Don't believe me Mr. Journalist.....

Then what the hell is that barbwire fence doing under the bridge protecting the north side of the campus?

Flickr Photo Download: march132003 028 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/51821663@N00/259775737/sizes/o/ - broken link)

Old 04-28-2009, 02:51 PM

62 posts, read 220,864 times
Interesting. I don't think my husband will be deterred from Rutgers, but we may be swayed to live outside of Camden. And I don't want him to discount a school based on the city. I want him to choose his school based on the education he would receive.

When you say racist...what race(s) do these people dislike? Are they all skinheads or something?

Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 PM

No they are the opposite. In the ghetto are Poor black minorities. 50% of Camden residents are black yet there is still a huge amount of segregation, so most of the black community all live in one area. These areas are of lowest income and worst crime. The worst spots are north of Rutgers, in the fenced off boarder called the ghetto. This area of the city has many row homes that are in disrepair or in ruins. It is a cultural wast land and most of these people have little hope of escaping their environment, due to a self perpetuating life of broken homes/families, low income, lake of opportunities, and a degression of moral compass and values. Notice I did say "most" because there are some families and poor immigrants who have strong family values and a good work ethic, who do succeed and are able to work themselves out of these slums. My mother was one of the only 2 white teachers in the ghetto high school. Most of the students openly talked and stated racist remarks, refused to cooperate and lacked any motivation to succeed. There was no parental guides to help or care for them and the entire school system is a failure. The Camden school board has lowered their standards for passing, so that all the students need to do is show up for class. They have an extremely poor literacy rates, math comprehension, or any other higher education. Most students usually drop out before graduation, in which they end up perpetuating this poor behavior, getting early pregnancies, and these poor family values and traits are succedded to the next generation. Its a self pepetuating and declining system, that continues to fall into disparity. The areas hit worst with poverty become nearly impossible to give any oppertunities to because the community is so enveloped in crime and contain zero family values or education. This is in the ghetto, Camden. The university and campus has increased security and the parking lots are usually patrolled by the camden police, who have given up on protecting the crime ridden areas. The police assume they might as well patrol the only area they can have some control and effect over, and thats around the university. Some crimes due and will leak out onto the campus, but its much better then it used to be. Just always walk with another person or a group. Keep away from the parking lots at night, and just play it safe. Honestly, you probably wont see any crime around the campus or to the south, they have done a good job of keeping it clean lately. But always keep an eye out, and dont go up north because the high crime is literally only a few blocks away. The one thing about Camden is, it truly makes you appreciate your home and the beauty of other states. Don't worry too much you will get used to scum hole in no time, and you will be walking the streets with your head held high. One thing with the punks is they prey on the weak, just be big bad and mean you wont be a target.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:44 PM

62 posts, read 220,864 times
ha! Big, bad, and mean I am not. I am 5'2" and weigh less than 100 lbs (not by choice). My husband is about 5'9" and 140 lbs, if that. We're small people. Criminals could probably tucks us under their arms and run away with us. (just kidding)

Anyways, I get what you're saying about keeping your head up and looking like you know exactly what you're doing. I used to have mace on my keychain. I suppose I could do that again.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:01 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
just move to the surrounding areas and not IN Camden and you will be okay.. Try to stay in Burlington county and your home owners insurance and car insurance will be lower then in Camden county. If you want to be close to Camden but in Burlington county you may want to look at Maple Shade. Great place..

Maple Shade Township, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Honestly I feel sorry for you. You know I dont work at Walmart. I know you are lonely because your wife and kids left you. Please dont take it out on the posters. Please IM me if you need someone to talk too. Your picture says alot. You may never find someone else because of your looks. But you may find someone that doesnt care.
What a very nasty thing to say to someone! How do you know why this man's family left him? Perhaps his wife was a cocaine addict, started tripping, and swooped up her kids and fled to Florida on a whim. Perhaps his was was being unfaithful to him, and he kicked her out on her derriere. Perhaps his wife wanted to explore her bisexual side and is now living with her new girlfriend, Olga, in Florida. Perhaps his wife thought FL would have been a better environment in which their children should be raised, and FlyersFan needed to tie up some loose ends first in NJ before following them down.

As someone who has also been terribly lonesome and depressed for quite some time on being unable to attract a mate to myself in this back-water place for dating they call Scranton may I remind you that it is in very poor taste to rub your romantic successes into the face of others who have not been so blessed in life? I don't think FlyersFan is all that bad looking at all (even though I'm tiring of guys his age hitting on me, but I digress), and the fact that his pampered pooch seems to be pretty happy beside him indicates to me that he does indeed have SOME good qualities.

While I agree with you that it's not fair that a number of short-sighted fools on the NJ forum will b*tch about having to "subsidize Camden" while then turning around and trying to FURTHER its demise by driving away prospective middle-class investors and entrepreneurs that COULD help it to thrive in the long-term, your comments are way out-of-line, and you ought to apologize for such insensitive remarks. I can't believe a moderator hasn't dropped in yet to scold the two of you for your back-and-forth bickering. Grow up and act like adults (and this is coming from someone barely out of high school!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 04-29-2009 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: Typographical Error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia