Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 01:33 PM

32 posts, read 127,419 times

Advertisements

i was raised in pennsauken & moved out about 8 years ago..i lived on the east side off of maple ave for 10 years in an apt and its fine in that area.....the best way i can sum it up is when it came time to get married and buy a house, i moved to cinnaminson..id never,never buy in pennsauken....the local politicians are horrible and let the town become an extension of camden in short order..remember the big plans for the waterfront? and the mart location? nothing happened..it never does in that town..my mother in law lives in "camsauken" off of westfield ave and she is now the only white person left on her block..not saying anything racial here,im talking about diversity..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I find that hard to believe too. That Wawa is right on the highway and gets clientele from all over the place, maybe your car just needed a tune up and that was when you began to notice. And comparing Pennsauken to Irvington? You must be on something. Have you ever even been to Irvington? Chester, PA is something I can see being compared to Irvington. We all know Pennsauken has really gone downhill a lot over the past 30-40 years because it borders Camden pretty head on (and they ARE the same county), but it is nothing like that.

I might just head down there today, I've been having a craving for The Pub for some time.
I wen to The Pub recently; found it overpriced and underwhelming despite all the hype. I guess it's declined in quality over the years.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:10 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I wen to The Pub recently; found it overpriced and underwhelming despite all the hype. I guess it's declined in quality over the years.
I last went in November of last year and it was as great as ever.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:16 PM

18 posts, read 34,287 times
There is some good advice here so far. My good freind lives in Pennsauken right on the border with Camden on Jackson Ave. He grew up in Camden but in the 60s his family moved to Pennsauken. The town has declined quite a bit although it really isnt "bad". As others said the areas east of 130 and to the north are better. I second the advice about not moving there with kids. He mentioned the area around Union Ave is quite nice.

I work (as I type this) in Maple Shade which is nice although some people are "meh". Merchantville has some lovely old homes and stained glass. Merchantville would be a step up from Pennsauken and Maple Shade a step up from that.

Pennsauken is sort of teetering on the brink. Its ok now but what will it be like in 10 or 20 years ?

Last edited by Oreamnos; 08-13-2013 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I last went in November of last year and it was as great as ever.
Maybe I went on an off day. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing. Maybe we have different definitions of great.

#MYSTERIESOFSOUTHJERSEY

Old 08-14-2013, 05:13 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Been going to the Pub all my life till recently too. Never again. Sad to say

Old 08-14-2013, 05:55 PM

why is that frank? the last time i was there was about a year ago & it brought back memories from when i was a kid.i didnt find it bad,maybe its just the nostalgia of it since my grandparents took me there once a month when i was young

Old 08-14-2013, 06:23 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Bad service.. REALLY bad service... Basically I had a gift card and the hostess said its not a good card. I called the number on the back and they said it was active and ready to use. I told miss mean hostess and she started screaming at me it was no good. I dialed the 800 number on it and handed her the phone. She refused to talk to the card services member. We left..

Old 08-15-2013, 04:39 PM

that would definately turn me off too.... i cant blame you for not going back..im a once a year guy so ill take notice next time im there

Old 08-19-2013, 12:56 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Pennsauken is very diverse.. Some areas are a bit run down.. I would look next door in Maple shade. Its a little more 'upscale' and still diverse and better schools then Pennsauken. You also may look at Merchantville. I feel you are well off enough, because you were looking at cherry hill, and care enough about your family to get the very best for them to settle for Pennsauken and will do an injustice for your family just because there are more black people there.. Ya know?
PS - Merchantville students do NOT have their own high school. They are transported to Pennsauken high. Merchantville High School closed in 1972 when Maple Shade built their own school. The majority of the Merchantville High school were students from Shade. After Shade had their own school, Merchantville did not have enough children to support the school so they were transported to Pennsauken. I know. I was the Last Graduating Class of Merchantville High. Class of 1972.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia