Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 02:14 PM

10 posts, read 19,648 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I will be attending NJIT starting in Jan 2011 and I had a couple questions about the area. First, I will be commuting from Brooklyn and was wondering what the best method would be to get to the University Heights area.

My options are: 1) take MTA to PATH, then PATH to the Newark Penn Station, then transfer to the Newark Light Rail and get off at Warren St., or 2) MTA to NJTransit, take NJTransit to Broad St. station north of UH, then walk to NJIT. Mostly my concern is with how safe either of these commutes are, day and night. Is the light rail between UH and Penn Station safe at night? Is walking to and from Broad St. safe, day or night?

Also, how safe is UH in general? Can I deviate a few blocks from campus to run errands or eat without being bothered? Is there actually a lot of crime in this area? or are the empty lots and run down buildings causing me to assume things?

I've visited the campus and everything seems bearable in the daytime, I'm just curious if there's more than meets the eye.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 08:14 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,868 times
Take the MTA to PATH to Newark Penn Station to Newark light rail. You can use your metro card for the PATH, I believe. I have never taken the path, so I'm not sure if it's speedy and efficient(I will assume so)

In the daytime, its generally safe to walk from the Broad. St station in Newark to NJIT. I did this for Rutgers: walk down Lackawanna Ave to the RU campus; NJIT is nearby. There is also the Washington St. Station that's near University Ave and a block from the corner of University Ave and Warren St. I can't speak for at night, since I don't stick around Newark late enough to find out.

There are the Rutgers Campus shuttles that make some stops a a couple of NJIT buildings. There is a shuttle to Newark Penn Station on the weekdays b/w 4pm and midnight to the NJIT and other college campuses. That may take care of the nightly walk to the Light Rail Stations.

Last edited by stressedCollegeGirl89; 08-10-2010 at 08:28 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
Basically what you get at NJIT is the environment you would experience around Temple, Columbia, Fordham, USC, etc. Off campus you will encounter some blighted areas and some riff-raff in a couple of areas NJIT's in the process of redeveloping MLK Blvd and a part of Central Ave so it looks shabby. But whatever you do, avoid anything west of campus(Lock Street) or north of Central Avenue and you should be fine. I'd be more worried about being in Brooklyn late night though.

Broad Street has limited trains to NYC compared to Penn Station, so I'd use the latter. Take the PATH to World Trade Center, then take the A, C or R and go from there. NJT costs to much and it takes longer to get home. The light rail downtown fare is 75 cents from Penn Station to Warren St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey