Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:54 PM

327 posts, read 881,854 times

Advertisements

.. always thought retirement meant 'stopped working.'

"Bayonne Mayor Mark Smith could soon be hauling in a nearly $9,000-a-month pension payment - that's in addition to his $72,000 annual salary as mayor."

"During his final 12 months in the department, Smith, who is 48, earned $163,569.62, according to state records. "

Bayonne Mark Smith files to have his state pension - earned in 25 years in Police Department - start paying him $9,000 a month - NJ.com

"After Smith became mayor, he enrolled in the state's elected officials Defined Contribution Retirement Plan on Nov. 10, 2008, reporting a yearly salary of $72,000. "

- so he gets another pension on top of his first one once he "re-retires?"

not a bad gig.. people in NJ need to stop complaining about high taxes and join the bandwagon (until there's no one left to fund it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 04:39 AM

559 posts, read 1,356,300 times
THis is what is killing us..........The need to have a mandatory age to begin collecting a pension because it makes NO SENSE for a 48 year old to be able to retire collect a pension from one job and work in public service again collecting another salary and more pension credits. Either they retire or work but they can't have it both ways. Also don't forget that he probably has full benefits for life as well so that 9000.00 figure is closer to 11,000 a month income.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:05 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
It's not his fault people its the laws enacted over the past 4-5 administrations that allow this type of thing. He's doing nothing illegally by wanting what by current laws is his right to receive. Christie mentioned in his campaign about stopping this sort of thing from happening...we'll see if he gets to it. People in NJ just complain about this because we're all envious of it. Anyone of us could've served for 25 yrs in the force and then get a job in the public sector. I do agree the laws needs to be changed about this but again...there's nothing illegal here.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:18 PM

683 posts, read 464,866 times
Not sure how it works for other state employes, but I know that State Troopers, once they retire, can't take another job in NJ that will give them a pension. To reiterate, They CAN work for the state, but not in a job that gives a pension.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:52 PM

77 posts, read 376,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
Not sure how it works for other state employes, but I know that State Troopers, once they retire, can't take another job in NJ that will give them a pension. To reiterate, They CAN work for the state, but not in a job that gives a pension.

The same rules apply for other state workers. However, I have been told there is a loophole in the current pension laws that allows an individual to collect a pension from two different state pension systems ( ex. PERS, TPAF etc.). I do not know the details how it is done, but I do know of two retired police officers working in the NJ school system; they are working on earning a second state pension.
Bill

Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
He's doing nothing illegally by wanting what by current laws is his right to receive.
At this point it's not about LAW, but about ETHICS...

imagine if we all had such a regressive mentality - "well that's the law..meh"

uhm blacks would still be segregated, women unable to vote.. yah that's the right mindset.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:11 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
i'm struggling to see what's wrong with this though? if the requirement is that one works 25 years to earn their police pension (army works the same way), and then after you put in your service you want to claim that pension - what's wrong with that? and if they want to get another job, and one of the benefits of that job is a pension, what's wrong with that?

you're going to penalize someone because of their prior work they've done and benefits they've earned?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:14 PM

631 posts, read 719,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'm struggling to see what's wrong with this though? if the requirement is that one works 25 years to earn their police pension (army works the same way), and then after you put in your service you want to claim that pension - what's wrong with that? and if they want to get another job, and one of the benefits of that job is a pension, what's wrong with that?

you're going to penalize someone because of their prior work they've done and benefits they've earned?

Although I can see why this could be a drain on our system and should be changed, I'm with you cant fault anyone for doing this. If I'm a private sector employee I can retire from the company and come back as a consultant it wouldnt be a big deal. happens all the time.

Last edited by mikeym81; 08-24-2010 at 01:22 PM..

Old 08-24-2010, 01:47 PM

double

Old 08-24-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
If I'm a private sector employee I can retire from the company and come back as a consultant it wouldnt be a big deal. happens all the time.
are you kidding me? how many people in private sector still get pensions, or get COLA on top of pensions, tenure (job stability), subsidized benefits, and vested pensions after just 20 years? all at taxpayers' (the customers' ) expense

no wonder "20 and out" is a common theme in the force.. where average retirement age is 49 years old, when people in private are getting a 2nd job to get back half of their 401(k)..

and no not everyone is a Wall street CEO - what is that like .00000001% of the population?

and B why would a Public Service employee ever compare his salary to a private CEO considering hist role should be Public Service as opposed to fluffing up double pensions at the expense of taxpayers..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey