Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the mcmansion has an asking price of 595k and the mansion is asking almost $3 million. its funny how people with less expensive and uglier homes attack other homes that are nicer than theirs, but not the nicest homes since those people cant afford them. its an interesting mentality. "oh your house is a mcmansion, its ugly and has nothing unique about it. mansions are really nice and interesting homes, your home is crap." well, the mcmansion owner probably cant afford a $3 million home and your home is probably worse than both. its no different than if i make fun of some person for their crappy home that they own because they cant afford a nicer home.
Are you actually addressing this at me? If so, lighten up, I don't think anyone is actually being serious at this point in the discussion. I quite clearly said, I'd love the opportunity to own the home I labelled a "McMansion". Regardless of whether I can afford it or not (I can't) I hold nothing against folks that choose a house like that. If I could afford a $600k house, I'd live in that one in a heartbeat (maybe, that much would buy a hell of a house on land in my neck of the woods, but I've always loved Moorestown). It doesn't mean I can't call "a spade a spade" from the comfort of my shack. I can only guess I struck a nerve when I posted a picture of "casa-de-captain". Just how many of those houses did developers crap out all over the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Are you actually addressing this at me? If so, lighten up, I don't think anyone is actually being serious at this point in the discussion. I quite clearly said, I'd love the opportunity to own the home I labelled a "McMansion". Regardless of whether I can afford it or not (I can't) I hold nothing against folks that choose a house like that. If I could afford a $600k house, I'd live in that one in a heartbeat (maybe, that much would buy a hell of a house on land in my neck of the woods, but I've always loved Moorestown). It doesn't mean I can't call "a spade a spade" from the comfort of my shack. I can only guess I struck a nerve when I posted a picture of "casa-de-captain". Just how many of those houses did developers crap out all over the state?
nope, not putting you with the group that im critcizing. just using the info from your post to make my point.

i guess it was unclear since i quoted your post, but when i said "your" i wasnt really speaking to you. like you said, you said you would be happy to own that house and i did notice you say that. my guess is that others who speak so negatively about "mcmansions" would also be happy to own them but wouldnt want to say so.

oh and i dont believe i take mcmansion attacks personally. im pretty sure my house is too small to qualify. my next house may qualify as one, i do want a decent sized property though (but how much property may also be a function of how much im willing to spend). i do find a lot of mcmansions attractive. a lot of older homes in communities are also built with pretty much the same exact look and design. but i guess they dont get attacked since they are older now and arent bought by "evil rich" people who have a little more money than those that attack them.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 03-08-2013 at 02:19 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
This thread started in 2010, and McMansions still seem to be around. The OP read an article the McM era was coming to an end. Ya just can't believe everything you read. As long as there are glutinous gas bags that want to show off, even if they can't really afford it, there will be McMansions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
They're ugly things, aren't they. Lol.
the two people above would be people im critcizing with my post.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
nope, not putting you with the group that im critcizing. just using the info from your post to make my point.

i guess it was unclear since i quoted your post, but when i said "your" i wasnt really speaking to you. like you said, you said you would be happy to own that house and i did notice you say that. my guess is that others who speak so negatively about "mcmansions" would also be happy to own them but wouldnt want to say so.

oh and i dont believe i take mcmansion attacks personally. im pretty sure my house is too small to qualify. my next house may qualify as one, i do want a decent sized property though (but how much property may also be a function of how much im willing to spend). i do find a lot of mcmansions attractive. a lot of older homes in communities are also built with pretty much the same exact look and design. but i guess they dont get attacked since they are older now and arent bought by "evil rich" people who have a little more money than those that attack them.
Understood.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:44 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,163,318 times
I wouldn't mind owning a McMansion, but not in NJ where the lot is too small and property taxes is too high. Maybe in another part of the country where the maintenance cost of owning a bigger house is more reasonable.

Another consideration is that newer constructions don't seem to be as well built than older homes. My house is built in the 50's, all brick ranch and contractor/architect all comment on how well built it is.

To be honest, having lived in a 1000 sq ft, 2 bedroom condo for more than a decade made me realize I don't need a huge space to be comfortable. One more bedroom and more storage space are all that we want, and bought.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:54 PM

one community near where i used to live that comes to mind as "mcmansions" is tennent estates in morganville. i bing maps searched jade drive in morganville to get a birdseye view. the houses all look nice sized and very similar to each other (which in reality most communities made by the same builder at the same time do) with nice mcmansion-like outsides (which to me look good and nice and clean and neat) but relatively small lots. seems like a nice place, not the location for me now and id like a bigger lot, but you do have to pay for a bigger lot.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:22 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I guess I don't get the dislike for houses that all look alike. Never bothered me in the slightest.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:36 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,121 times
If you can afford a mcmansion, thats cool. Different strokes for different folks. What i dont get is simply the "wasted space". How many times do you 3000k+ sq ft home owners spend time in your "Formal Living room"? How many dinners in your "formal dining room" in a year? When your basement is finished, how often do you spend time in your family room?

My issue with mcmansions is the wasted space. A lot of these mcmansion owners are then the same ones complaining in the "How much is middle class in NJ" thread that there 200k a year doesnt get them anywhere and is "farrrr from rich and they are having a hard time making ends meet.

I know folks with these big houses. They eat dinner in the dining room, less than 5 times a year. They NEVER use the formal living room. They finish the basement, then NEVER use the family room either. Then they complain about their $600 gas bills in the winter. Then they "have" to get a cleaning lady to clean the house because its so big. Then a landscaper to mow the lawn. All for what? They certainly don't "need" the space, becuase they don't use it. So whats it all for?

Again, if you can afford this, cool, spend your money, you worked for it. God bless. But its the folks who do this, and then claim poverty, becuase they dont have enough left over money to do any other cool stuff.

Last edited by TonyStarksNJ; 03-08-2013 at 05:49 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Again, if you can afford this, cool, spend your money, you worked for it. God bless. But its the folks who do this, and then claim poverty, becuase they dont have enough left over money to do any other cool stuff.
are they really those people? i think thats how others want to perceive them, but i doubt they are the ones crying poverty. i think mostly its the people with less money than them crying poverty.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I guess I don't get the dislike for houses that all look alike. Never bothered me in the slightest.
isnt the reality for the vast majority of people? builders build communities and the homes are usually pretty similar to each other. i doubt all these people speaking negatively about mcmansions because they "all look alike" have their own custom designed home that they live in. all the houses ive lived in except one of them all looked pretty similar to the ones around them. the one that didnt was custom built by the builder for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey