Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:58 PM

46 posts, read 166,180 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have a rather morbid question. Maybe I've been watching too many episodes of "A Haunting"......

Are real estate agents required to tell you if someone died in a home? Does it depend on the circumstances in which the person died? Is there a law regarding this? Is it in the RE code of ethics?

I have asked 4 different RE agents and have received 4 different answers.
Some answers made sense, others were just absolutely silly(one said they don't have to tell you anything, another said all deaths must be disclosed, the other said only if it was murder, the last said only if the body was on the property for more than 48 hrs).

I would greatly appreciate your insight!

PS - I am NOT a troll. This is a real question. My bf & I are house hunting, and we think it's important to know the history of a home. I apologize in advance if anyone is offended by my question. I know that not everyone believes in this type of stuff, but I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night with a ghost at the foot of the bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:21 PM

52 posts, read 196,201 times
My boyfriend asked me this the other day as well for the same reason. I'm interested in the answer as well!

Old 11-04-2009, 02:46 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
This is kind of crazy. Any house where an old person lived has a good chance they died in the home. Who would keep this information? I mean, if my grandmother dies at home and then the house is sold, who is going to keep track that she died at that house? I don't think a death certificate gives the address of where someone dies. How would a realtor find this information anyway? In any case, it's probably best to not know at all.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:49 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,784,218 times
I believe it depends on the circumstances. If someone was murdered in the home I believe it needs to be disclosed. Not 100% sure though.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:55 PM

46 posts, read 166,180 times
Ansky,

You're definitely right about homes owned by older people. There's a good chance they died in the home.

Wouldn't the listing agent of the home in question know that a person died in it? I think that would be something the deceased person's relatives/estate would have to tell the listing agent.

Anyway, I would definitely want to know if someone died in the house. Maybe it'll be a friendly ghost like Casper!

Old 11-04-2009, 03:57 PM

138 posts, read 509,972 times
Under NJ state law, agents are NOT obligated to disclose unless the buyers specifically ASK. There's another question to add to your arsenal while home shopping. The info most likely won't be volunteered. Personally, I wouldn't care if someone died in the house under "natural" causes; but I would if someone were murdered or committed suicide there. Just too creepy for my blood.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:13 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokingMyPancreas View Post
Wouldn't the listing agent of the home in question know that a person died in it? I think that would be something the deceased person's relatives/estate would have to tell the listing agent.
But if you're buying an older home, someone could have died 30 years ago and the house may have been bought/sold many times during that period with different real estate agents. I think it would be almost impossible to be 100% sure anyone did or did not die in a particular house.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,988 times
Your lucky if the real estate agent has the right lockbox combo to get into the house. Forget about this one.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:14 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,632 times
Don't worry about the dead people, it's the live ones that will hurt you

Old 11-04-2009, 05:19 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Both my parents died in the house I grew up in, my father many years before my mom. When we sold it after my mom died we did not have to disclose that. My father died of a Heart Attack, my Mom, cancer. Trust me my Mom went straight to heaven, no haunting the house.

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey