Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:30 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Laughing, because I posted this yesterday and this morning all the trains on the Northeast Corridor are cancelled due to Amtrak problems.
hehehe. 6 in one and half dozen in the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 02:20 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Laughing, because I posted this yesterday and this morning all the trains on the Northeast Corridor are cancelled due to Amtrak problems.
Yes. I have commuted both by bus and train. They both have pros and cons. I have definitely had a bad couple of weeks commuting on the train.

Ultimately it comes down to preference, parking, schedule, etc. Both will work, but bus is definitely easier from Livingston.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:56 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,422,105 times
I commute by bus from Parsippany (a good deal farther west than the towns discussed so far) and it rarely takes more than an hour to Port Authority. If you can travel early (like get a bus before 7 AM) the commute is quick and very easy. However, you definitely want to be able to telecommute on snow days!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:13 AM

6 posts, read 27,400 times
hillside, union, are beautiful places to live the taxes are not as brutal as one may think. the commute is normal to the city say 45 to 1 hour. go to these places in the day and evening and especially on saturday afternoon on a good day before committing to anything.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:49 AM

15 posts, read 39,627 times
@meghna, where did you guys finally end up? We are in the same boat, looking for houses in the same budget with same criteria.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:08 PM

312 posts, read 686,436 times
Quote:
hillside, union, are beautiful places to live the taxes are not as brutal as one may think
I don't think I would call Hillside "beautiful." A lot of people on this forum consider it a rough place to live. Union is OK, though I don't think the schools are considered very good.

OP, you may want to consider Springfield as well. Depending on where in Springfield, you either have the train option via the Springfield jitney/Short Hills station, or you have the 114 bus.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 AM

58 posts, read 153,598 times
Check Cedar Grove. Under an hour to port authority, some of the lower taxes in essex county...

Old 03-07-2012, 12:45 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,316,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
I commute by bus from Parsippany (a good deal farther west than the towns discussed so far) and it rarely takes more than an hour to Port Authority. If you can travel early (like get a bus before 7 AM) the commute is quick and very easy. However, you definitely want to be able to telecommute on snow days!
This would be my suggestion as well. Parsippany offers the advantages of lower taxes, and for the OP a larger Indian population. The commute is also pretty quick.

I used to live in Montclair (halfway between Parsippany and NYC) and my coworker who took the bus from Parsippany had a faster commute than I. He got on his bus at the last stop before the bus went onto the highway and straight into the city. My bus, on the other hand, stopped by my apartment at the start of its route and schlepped around all over town picking up passengers one or two at a time before getting onto the highway. So where your home or park-and-ride is located in relationship to the bus route can make a huge difference in commute time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey