Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times

Advertisements

N.J. police salaries rank highest in nation with median pay of $90,672 | NJ.com

Thats really really absurd , why do Urban cops get paid less then suburban ones , but do so much more. Why do Rural cops get paid less and protect more? Suburban cops are very lazy , in fact we should eliminate at least 2 cops from every town. The Cops in my town have so much time on there hands they go and chill at friends house.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 09-20-2010 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: fixed spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 02:21 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,732 times
This isn't news to me since I personally know of a copy who makes over 100k/yr. His house is worth nearly 700k and he's supporting that on his income alone! My husband and I have to work two jobs just to afford our 500k home.

I wonder if more N. Jerseyans would cry foul if they knew these numbers.

Something's gotta give when the avg. cop makes 27% more than your avg. resident in other parts of the country, but here in Jersey, the avg. cop makes 55% more... I say just outsource the work.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:35 PM

912 posts, read 2,445,683 times
Obviously, the salaries are outrageous. And I've been saying for years that we are extremely over-policed. Nobody can breathe in New Jersey.

Police departments should be staffed enough to respond to calls. If your police department spends most of its resources writing out summonses to anyone who dares go a mile over the speed limit or make a slight traffic mistake (off the top of my head: Roseland, Mahwah, Island Heights, Little Egg Harbor, Wall Twp. comes to mind) it's because there's nothing else for them to do. Break out the ax and cut these budgets. Only the essentials should remain.

And FWIW, I live in a town that's .4 square miles. We have our own police department. So does the next town, which is about the same size. In our state, we have a strange law that says if your municipality does have a PD, the State Police (at a huge fee) must patrol your town. Therefore, we can't act as other states do and have county Sheriff's Depts. patrol small, local towns on a contract basis. This law MUST be changed and NO municipality with less than 15,000 residents should be allowed to have its own police department.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:44 PM

147 posts, read 389,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
This isn't news to me since I personally know of a cop who makes over 100k/yr. His house is worth nearly 700k and he's supporting that on his income alone! My husband and I have to work two jobs just to afford our 500k home.

I wonder if more N. Jerseyans would cry foul if they knew these numbers.

Something's gotta give when the avg. cop makes 27% more than your avg. resident in other parts of the country, but here in Jersey, the avg. cop makes 55% more... I say just outsource the work.

There was in an investigative article in the Newark Star Ledger on 4/27/08. From the article: Some of them [cops] were making $260,000 a year. They do it largely by manipulating the overtime system. Every little get-together has to be covered. They send cops out when someone calls 911 for a medical emergency. Cops are stationed in motor vehicle offices. And the benefits are great.

For state police, the current starting salary for a trooper is $58,748.29 (including uniform allowance). The second-year total compensation jumps to $65,662.39. Top pay for a Trooper I is $97,188.48. Troopers receive yearly increments. All recruits receive $777.78 every two weeks, plus overtime pay. Room and board are also provided while training.
•Service Retirement: After 20 years of service as a New Jersey State Trooper, you are eligible to receive a pension, regardless of age, consisting of 50% of your final compensation.
•Special Retirement: After 25 years of service as a New Jersey State Trooper, you are eligible to receive a pension, regardless of age, consisting of 65% of your final compensation plus 1% for each year above 25 years. The maximum benefit that you can receive under a special retirement is 70% of your final compensation.
http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/recruit/salary.html

City cops typically START at $52,000 to $65,000 base salary and rapidly move up. But overtime increases that significantly. For example.
http://jobs.silive.com/careers/jobsearch/detail?jobId=24278134

Old 09-20-2010, 08:28 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Know a cop who retired from the State Police with $120k a year pension and now works for East Windsor at $130k a year.

Nice if you can get it.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Quote:
makes over 100k/yr. His house is worth nearly 700k
Then he must be very good with his finances and I would guess you are not.

Quote:
retired from the State Police with $120k a year pension
Unless he was the Colonel , that's not happening at a 70 percent max. The final base salary would have been $170,000. Care to prove it as it would be public knowledge. All that is needed would be a name. As the highest final salaries for 2009 was not within 50k of that number, you're full of BS.

Quote:
City cops typically START at $52,000 to $65,000 base salary
Yet you base that number on a website that is promoting jobs, not on actual facts. PERC has most of the contract terms listed. care to point mout all those 52k starts?

Quote:
Police departments should be staffed enough to respond to calls
This is so stupid it doesn't deserve a comment. when would you think the best time it is to schedule mv accidents? Or domestic disputes? I truly hope you are not in a management position of anything beyond a fast food restaurant.

Quote:
And FWIW, I live in a town that's .4 square miles.
The size of Guttenburg. So i guess you subscribe to the "size matters" thoery. Yet Guttenburg is the the most densely populated municipality in The United States. I'm sure packing that many people into a small area doesn't require a reasonal agency to control it. You would equate a .4 sq. mile in the middle of Nevada in the same way? Great concent.

I'm amazed at how the "experts" are coming out of the woodwork. When I see agencies threatening employees with any diligence of the current manpower levels to residents it has become obvious that the political forces are attempting to hide the facts. Like the physical infrastructure of the state, the emergency services are starting to crumble.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Cops in poorer precincts also make less than cops in wealthier ones.

Sad but true fact: cops in Cherry Hill make more than cops in Camden. Cops in Livingston make more than cops in Newark.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:54 PM

912 posts, read 2,445,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
This is so stupid it doesn't deserve a comment. when would you think the best time it is to schedule mv accidents? Or domestic disputes? I truly hope you are not in a management position of anything beyond a fast food restaurant.

I don't think it's stupid at all. And I've never worked in the restaurant industry - fast or slow. Besides, you missed my point, which was that police departments should be properly staffed to deal with the amount of calls that come in. If you have the calls covered, but still have a bunch of guys out running radar and handing out traffic violation summonses, your town is over-policed.

And for what it's worth, unless you were a union leader, I hope you never worked in any capacity setting public policy. Because, if so, you're part of the problem - making excuses and coming up with a host of reasons why government should be bigger and bigger. Of course, it appears you've fled New Jersey and its through-the-roof taxes, so one wonders why you argue in favor of maintaining the status quo that is making it so hard for families to survive in this state on their peasant-like, non-police salaries.

Quote:
The size of Guttenburg. So i guess you subscribe to the "size matters" thoery. Yet Guttenburg is the the most densely populated municipality in The United States. I'm sure packing that many people into a small area doesn't require a reasonal agency to control it. You would equate a .4 sq. mile in the middle of Nevada in the same way? Great concent.
That's why, policy-wise, I didn't comment on square mileage. I commented on the population of a municipality and the absolute insanity behind regulations such as that in our state that prevents county agencies from taking the lead in tiny towns with a few thousand people instead of top-heavy, full-service police departments that need chiefs, captains, lieutenants, sergeants, corporals, patrolmen, detectives, and a host of toys that are never needed on any regular basis and could easily be shared.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:21 PM

327 posts, read 881,564 times
yeh, friend is in the force.. "20 and out" is VERY common..he's a cop in upper Bergen Co, looking to retire in his mid-40's like many before him, retire off a 6 figure pension and either move to another public position making similar salary close to $300,000/year once you account for pensions/benefits all off the unknowing taxpayer..

at least he KNOWS he's pimping the taxpayer, but his reasoning is if he didn't do it someone else would. as long as laughably small municipalities exist in NJ, this will just get worse. in other news, property taxes up.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
yeh, friend is in the force.. "20 and out" is VERY common..he's a cop in upper Bergen Co, looking to retire in his mid-40's like many before him, retire off a 6 figure pension and either move to another public position making similar salary close to $300,000/year once you account for pensions/benefits all off the unknowing taxpayer..

at least he KNOWS he's pimping the taxpayer, but his reasoning is if he didn't do it someone else would. as long as laughably small municipalities exist in NJ, this will just get worse. in other news, property taxes up.
Not really you need 25 years for the medical coverage and truth be told if I needed to call police I don't want Grandpa showing up..police & firefighters are a young man's career...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey