Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times

Advertisements

According to Time magazine this week, (4/16/12) pg 21, NJ has the highest taxes in the entire country. Why? Does this reflect at all on gov Christie to do something about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Because it can. Governments will squeeze until people start leaving. NJ has the advantage of NYC being nearby, which keeps people around despite the high taxes. (taxes in NYC and Westchester County are not considerably less than in NJ, and other costs of living can be even higher)

Old 04-15-2012, 03:44 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I just saw a list on City-Data Forum that showed the amount of return from the Federal Government per dollar each state received. Maybe New Jersey does not get its fair share in Federal spending. The year I checked, NJ only got back 61 cents per dollar of giving to the Federal Budget. That compared to $2.02 for New Mexico who was number one.

I am stating this from memory, so look for the thread about red states being free-loaders and you can look for yourself.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I would be interested to know the % of taxes paid related to the education system compared to other states. And no, this is a bash on teachers. It is a comment on the system.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:03 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,637 times
I'd argue we pay for a higher quality of life.

1. Our public schools are amongst the best in the nation. We have the lowest drop out rate in the entire country by a long, long shot. (Source: http://www.boostup.org/en/facts/statistics)
2. Our larger cities aside, New Jersey is one of the safest places to live. Middlesex, Somerset, Hunterdon, Monmouth, Ocean, Bergen, and Passaic counties are ranked amongst the safest in the nation. We also have more police officers per capita than any other state. (Source: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed)
3. We give WAY more federal tax dollars than what we get. In fact, we recieve the least money back per federal tax dollar out of all 50 states. Basically, our tax dollars go to support states that can't support themselves, ie: Alabama, West Virginia, Alaska, etc. This is common as the heavily taxed "blue states", ie New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Illinois, basically subsidize poorer "red" states. (Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/20945041@N06/2994934040/ (broken link))

If the taxes in New Jersey bother you, and you don't see the pros as being worth it, there are many, many places where you can live for much cheaper. Florida, Pennsylvania, you name it. And many people chose to do this and it's their choice and fine. The rest of us obviously live here with good reason.

Last edited by Yac; 04-17-2012 at 05:41 AM..

Old 04-15-2012, 04:27 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
I'd argue we pay for a higher quality of life.

1. Our public schools are amongst the best in the nation. We have the lowest drop out rate in the entire country by a long, long shot. (Source: National Dropout Rates + BoostUp.org)
2. Our larger cities aside, New Jersey is one of the safest places to live. Middlesex, Somerset, Hunterdon, Monmouth, Ocean, Bergen, and Passaic counties are ranked amongst the safest in the nation. We also have more police officers per capita than any other state. (Source: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed)
3. We give WAY more federal tax dollars than what we get. In fact, we recieve the least money back per federal tax dollar out of all 50 states. Basically, our tax dollars go to support states that can't support themselves, ie: Alabama, West Virginia, Alaska, etc. This is common as the heavily taxed "blue states", ie New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Illinois, basically subsidize poorer "red" states. (Source: Blue States subsidize Red States | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20945041@N06/2994934040/ - broken link))

If the taxes in New Jersey bother you, and you don't see the pros as being worth it, there are many, many places where you can live for much cheaper. Florida, Pennsylvania, you name it. And many people chose to do this and it's their choice and fine. The rest of us obviously live here with good reason.
To be fair, many of the "red states" have a lot more military bases, Indian reservations, national parks, and other federal holdings than the "blue states." The disparity in NJ is inexcusable though.

To answer the OP's question, it is a variety of things. First of all, this state has great amenities, resources, schools, and access. That doesn't come cheap. Second, NJ is at the heart of the Northeast, so it is a very desirable place to be. Third, we have way too much government - 566 municipalities, I think over 600 school districts, not to mention the dozens of "authorities" and "commissions" that the average tax payer doesn't even know exist. Finally, many of our public employees get salaries and benefits that are in my opinion unfairly high. So overall it is a combination of things.

Last edited by Yac; 04-17-2012 at 05:40 AM..

Old 04-15-2012, 05:13 PM

367 posts, read 960,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I would be interested to know the % of taxes paid related to the education system compared to other states. And no, this is a bash on teachers. It is a comment on the system.
I looked at this a few years ago. We were paying the highest or second highest (alternating with NY) per student per year. We were 39th in SAT scores. While SAT scores are not the ultimate measure of anything, it seems to me with that kind of expenditure that number should have been a lot better and someone or some group should be called to account.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:38 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
I looked at this a few years ago. We were paying the highest or second highest (alternating with NY) per student per year. We were 39th in SAT scores. While SAT scores are not the ultimate measure of anything, it seems to me with that kind of expenditure that number should have been a lot better and someone or some group should be called to account.
To be fair, we have a lot more students that take the SAT than most states. In many states, less than 10% of students take the SAT. In NJ, it's 76%. So in a state where only 5% take the test, you can be sure that those 5% were the top 5% of students. In NJ, both good students and lower performers take the test.

Here is a chart of participation rate by state:
SAT DATA

Old 04-15-2012, 06:46 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Some light reading that barely qualifies as the tip of the NJ iceberg of corruption.

NJ electorate extremely tolerant of corruption and willing to hand over more tax money to be squandered, redirected or lost. No such thing as a dedicated tax in NJ. The large number of school districts, municipalities and an archaic edu policy also help drive up taxes.

http://newjersey.watchdog.org/2012/04/12/6227/

www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/01/passaic_valley_sewerage_commis_1...

www.economist.com/node/14112480

http://www.apatheticvoter.com/GovernmentCorruption-NJ.htm

www.ndsn.org/jan97/bissell.html

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20120410/NJNEWS/304100024/Gartland-pleads-guilty-bilking-Perth-Amboy-school-district

Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Part of the problem is the exorbitant salaries and pensions paid to public workers. It is very common to find teachers, police officers, and firefighters in this state making over $100k, which is unheard of in most other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey