Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 06:54 PM

213 posts, read 769,690 times

Advertisements

My MIL lives by herself with no family around (refuses to move), and has a tendency to live without what one might consider standard comforts if something is broken, etc. Right now she cannot get heating oil and I'm afraid she will just "do without" .

She says that she called the oil company (do not know which one) and they've informed her that they will not come out and fill her underground tank until she gets it inspected and/or removed.

Is this what every company is doing now? I realize there are many concerns about leaking tanks, so I am not going to be shocked if that is the experience everyone is having. We lived in NJ 3 years ago and had to have our tank removed and an above-ground installed before we sold our home, but will no one even deliver to underground tanks (or at least without paying for an inspection of it)?

She is in Passaic County. I looked up the company we used to call (Sussex Co) and they do not deliver to Passaic. If anyone has any knowledge of whether any company will still deliver to an underground tank that has not been inspected, I'd appreciate it. Also, any companies you would recommend that do deliver to Passaic Cty. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 13,005 times
It would be irresponsible for her oil delivery company to make a delivery to a tank that could potentially be leaking. I would recommend that she have the underground tank removed and replaced immediately with an above ground tank (since they all leak eventually). There is a NJ State Grant available at this time that will cover the cost of removal and replacement for most NJ residents (she must make under $250,000/year). If she qualifies, she would only be responsible for the application fee of $250. NJDEP SRP - The Petroleum Underground Storage Tank Remediation, Upgrade And Closure Fund (UST Fund)

She should act quickly though - the fund is running out of money and will probably not be around too much longer.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:36 AM

75 posts, read 465,932 times
Unless there is evidence that the tank is leaking she should be able to have fuel delivered. The fuel oil company for some reason is being very cautious which is their right but there are many companies that will deliver call Petro,Pierson, Dixon or Arrow. Our business is involved in testing underground tanks and I strongly recommend that the tank be tested and an underground tank policy be purchased that will provide $100,000 in clean-up cost if required. These policy can be purchased from heating oil dealer or directly from Pro Guard.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:14 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actank View Post
Unless there is evidence that the tank is leaking she should be able to have fuel delivered. The fuel oil company for some reason is being very cautious which is their right but there are many companies that will deliver call Petro,Pierson, Dixon or Arrow. Our business is involved in testing underground tanks and I strongly recommend that the tank be tested and an underground tank policy be purchased that will provide $100,000 in clean-up cost if required. These policy can be purchased from heating oil dealer or directly from Pro Guard.
Keep in mind that so-called oil tank insurance policies are basically worthless with a whole host of exclusions and limitations. They will not help you if there is a serious incursion of oil into an aquifer. You can also no longer realistically sell a house with an underground oil tank. No one will buy it, with or without an insurance policy. Your MIL should remove the tank, period. And the sooner the better.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:01 PM

633 posts, read 1,949,522 times
I am getting ready to remove an underground tank, that part is cheap about 1500.00. When the EPA comes out to test, this is were the financial nightmare can start.

Can you purchase the insurance just before removing a tank?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey