Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 08:54 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

For a new job, I may have to train at a corporate HQ in NYC for two or three days next week. I live in Ocean County, but I thought it would be easier to stay with my girlfriend in North Jersey (Caldwell) for a couple days as it would be closer. The only thing is that the last time I did this (stayed up there to go to the NY Auto Show in April) it ended being so much of a hassle that it didn't seem to save much time.

Basically, the issue wasn't the train or the location - it was the parking. I went to one of the train stations in Montclair (Watchung Ave.) and the entire lot was filled up with monthly permit holders. Then, all of the streets around the station were 1 hour parking only, so I ended up having to park almost a mile away after driving around forever. Finding a parking space and walking to the station took practically as long as the train ride itself!

Is there ANYWHERE where this situation doesn't happen? I'd love to take the train, but honestly if this is how it's going to be everywhere I'd grin and bear dealing with the Holland Tunnel and just park in a lot in NYC and be done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 09:31 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Welcome to how the "other half" (commuters) live Anyway, maybe you can try driving from Caldwell to Newark or Harrison, and park there. I fear the parking for most NJT stations is going to be what you've already found. It's something normal commuters need to deal with. You don't say where in Manhattan, but Newark gives you both NJT and PATH as options, and Harrison offers PATH only. Maybe this compromise will be better than straight train or driving the whole way. Now ... imagine if all those parked cars were on the highways

Old 10-09-2010, 09:44 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
How about just walking to Bloomfield Avenue and taking DeCamp?

Or just drive down to Bay Street and park in the garage? Surely it doesn't fill up at 100% capacity.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:57 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
Yeah, what Marv95 said. Don't rule out the buses.

Using another town's NJ Transit train station is never worth it...it's exactly the hassle you described.

I knew someone from the Caldwells that commuted daily into NYC via the DeCamp bus. I don't know the route or where the stops are but you can look them up online.

Couple of other suggestions:

You can also drive to West Orange and park at the Richard J. Codey Arena on Northfield Ave. It has commuter parking (including daily parking) for the #77 Community Coach bus which will take you into the Port Authority. I forget how much daily parking costs. I don't think it's more than $5.

You can also catch the #77 from the Essex Green shopping center in West Orange. Just park in the mall parking lot (for free) and catch the bus across the street in front of the condo complex. Parking in the mall parking lot is "illegal" but I know people that do it on a daily basis with no problem. In your case, it will only be for a few days so you'll have even less to worry about.

And of course you can also drive to Harrison and take the PATH train. You shouldn't have any trouble finding parking there.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:28 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,276,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Is there ANYWHERE where this situation doesn't happen? I'd love to take the train, but honestly if this is how it's going to be everywhere I'd grin and bear dealing with the Holland Tunnel and just park in a lot in NYC and be done with it.
Route 280 to Harrison PATH. The parking lot is huge, you won't have any trouble parking. 280 could be busy during rush hour, but it's got to be better than fighting traffic around the Holland tunnel entrance (you really don't want to be anywhere near the tunnel entrance around rush hour)

Old 10-09-2010, 12:14 PM

196 posts, read 649,057 times
you can drive to the delawanna station in clifton, the lot is free and if it fills up it is easy to find on street parking

Old 10-09-2010, 12:26 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Hi Folks,

For a new job, I may have to train at a corporate HQ in NYC for two or three days next week. I live in Ocean County, but I thought it would be easier to stay with my girlfriend in North Jersey (Caldwell) for a couple days as it would be closer. The only thing is that the last time I did this (stayed up there to go to the NY Auto Show in April) it ended being so much of a hassle that it didn't seem to save much time.

Basically, the issue wasn't the train or the location - it was the parking. I went to one of the train stations in Montclair (Watchung Ave.) and the entire lot was filled up with monthly permit holders. Then, all of the streets around the station were 1 hour parking only, so I ended up having to park almost a mile away after driving around forever. Finding a parking space and walking to the station took practically as long as the train ride itself!

Parking is an issue for most train stations. If you do come up from Ocean County, you can park at Long Branch train station for $3 a day, and the lot is huge. I haven't ever seen it fill up completely.

In north Jersey, besides the options other people mentioned, you can drive to Secaucus Transfer and park in the lot there. It's exit 15X off the Turnpike. It's $12 a day, but that's cheaper than parking in the city. Then you take the train from Secaucus to NY Penn. I think it's $5.25 each way now, but I'm not sure.

Another idea is to drive to Hoboken and park in one of the parking garages on River Street and walk to PATH. That will probaby cost you around $20 a day to park, depending upon how long you leave your car there.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:41 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
One more idea, you can drive to Weedhawken, Weehawken I mean, park in the ferry lot at NY Waterways, take the ferry across and they have a bus that goes through town. But I would probably try one of the above suggestions. Having a car in Manhattan is a PITA until its time to leave. Parking is nuts there, as you know.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:54 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
One more idea, you can drive to Weedhawken, Weehawken I mean, park in the ferry lot at NY Waterways, take the ferry across and they have a bus that goes through town. But I would probably try one of the above suggestions. Having a car in Manhattan is a PITA until its time to leave. Parking is nuts there, as you know.
Do feel free to elaborate...

Old 10-09-2010, 02:34 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Route 280 to Harrison PATH. The parking lot is huge, you won't have any trouble parking. 280 could be busy during rush hour, but it's got to be better than fighting traffic around the Holland tunnel entrance (you really don't want to be anywhere near the tunnel entrance around rush hour)
Thanks for the tips, everyone! It's funny, because our local train stations around here (Bay Head, Pt. Pleasant, Manasquan) are usually pretty empty and they're free. Of course, that's probably because nobody wants to board a train here and take three hours to get to NYC!

Anywho, I think this Harrison option might be the best, since the company's HQ is downtown and the PATH goes there. Is Harrison safe to park in? I have a buddy whose father was a cop there and he makes it sound like it's Baghdad. Of course, that's coming from someone who deals with criminals on a daily basis!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey