Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 9,013 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've got a little bit of a dilemma that I was hoping one of you could help me with. My girlfriend and I are looking to move into Park Lane apartments in Little Falls, NJ. The pricing, commute distance, size, etc. - everything is perfect for us. The issue is that we're a little bit worried about the flooding issues.

Now the apartments are on Shady Lane, which is not in what seems to be the major flooding area in the town. It seems most of the damage comes in between where the Passaic river loops around the land up and to the left of the area we're looking at. It seems like this area is a little bit more elevated and is outside of the flood zone.

Does anyone have any information pertaining to this particular location? The rental agent said there has never been flooding in the complex, but of course I am wary to trust what she says. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:32 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsm11186 View Post
Hi All,

I've got a little bit of a dilemma that I was hoping one of you could help me with. My girlfriend and I are looking to move into Park Lane apartments in Little Falls, NJ. The pricing, commute distance, size, etc. - everything is perfect for us. The issue is that we're a little bit worried about the flooding issues.

Now the apartments are on Shady Lane, which is not in what seems to be the major flooding area in the town. It seems most of the damage comes in between where the Passaic river loops around the land up and to the left of the area we're looking at. It seems like this area is a little bit more elevated and is outside of the flood zone.

Does anyone have any information pertaining to this particular location? The rental agent said there has never been flooding in the complex, but of course I am wary to trust what she says. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.
I asked a friend who grew up in Little Falls, and this is what she said: Although the apartments may not flood most of the roads in the area do - so you would be essentially cut off for a period of time until the flood recedes. (depending on the extent of the flooding) Depending on the extent of the flood, utilities may also be shut off to the entire area, and the entire area may be evacuated.

HTH

KoalaNJ

Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
She's right... the water never comes up there. It can't happen... property elevation is higher than the bottom of the 'little falls', which tumble upstream from the apartments. (These apartments couldn't flood until most of Paterson is first submerged.)

Here's are some simple ways to verify:
1) Ask the neighbors.
2) Contact the town's Building Department.
3) Order your own flood search.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:30 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,899 times
Hold it. Isn't this the town that was all over the news about being completely underwater during Irene?

Old 02-26-2012, 06:56 AM

179 posts, read 465,676 times
major flooding area .........ask many questions, ask the right people. Good Luck.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...erge_of_c.html

Last edited by classic1956cars; 02-26-2012 at 07:16 AM..

Old 02-26-2012, 09:15 AM

513 posts, read 1,167,474 times
Those apartments never, ever flood. But in very extreme circumstances (Irene), the nearby roads become impassible. Almost all the flooding in Little Falls is limited to low-lying areas in the "Singac" neighborhood and on a few other streets in Little Falls. "Irene" was a nightmare for many towns that hadn't seen flooding in many, many years...and it took quite a while for those waters to recede. Little Falls is a great place to live! Good luck to you!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 9,013 times
Thank you all for your input. I'm not so much concerned about being evacuated or being without power so much as having our cars damaged by the floods. But from what I've read and what everyone has said, I'm thinking that the apartments are high enough as to where the lot will not flood. I appreciate the words from everyone - if anyone has any more advice, please share. As of now I think we are still going to make the move here. Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey