Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 03:00 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times

Advertisements

My wife commutes to NYC, and parks her car at the Dunellen train station.
In the past 18 months or so, her instrument panekl has warned of low tire pressure. All three times, when I checked the tires, I found a screw in the tread of the right front tire. Now, we know how difficult it is to have a loose screw drive straight into the tread of a tire. They don't stand straight up on the ground, so it's difficult to get it straight into the tire. To have it happen three times, all in the same tire, is astounding. So I'm thinking someone's done in intentionally. Has anyone else seen anything like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 03:46 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
My wife commutes to NYC, and parks her car at the Dunellen train station.
In the past 18 months or so, her instrument panekl has warned of low tire pressure. All three times, when I checked the tires, I found a screw in the tread of the right front tire. Now, we know how difficult it is to have a loose screw drive straight into the tread of a tire. They don't stand straight up on the ground, so it's difficult to get it straight into the tire. To have it happen three times, all in the same tire, is astounding. So I'm thinking someone's done in intentionally. Has anyone else seen anything like this?
It's actually quite common. Picking up a screw or nail is the most common tire ailment. Basically your tire is responsible for putting the screw in the upright position as it drives over it. The tread catches the head and the friction/weight/pressure causes the tread to grab hold and rotate the screw into the tire. As long as the screw is on the tread and not in the sidewall I wouldn't suspect vandalism. Now it is entirely possible that someone is putting screws or nails directly under your tire so you can drive over them.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:06 PM

95 posts, read 527,948 times
Vandals drive screws into the wall of a tire so that an can't be fixed, plus it is easier too. Anything in the tread is usually picked off the road.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,138 times
+1 Also, to take the time to use a screw is silly. Vandals want to just puncture the wall and go. i experienced this in Piscataway. Basically 3-4 stabs in the sidewall. Quick but effective....damn vandals.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:23 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Picked up a screw in my MC and car. Very common. Damaging the sidewall takes a tire out of service permanently.
Quote:

They don't stand straight up on the ground
The tire fores them upright and into the tread.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:38 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,364,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
The tire forces them upright and into the tread.
HaHa ... A little planned obsolescence in there? Or a tread design that kinda "encourages" folks to buy that Road Hazard Insurance?

Don't mind me ... I'm a bit untrusting sometimes ... especially against large corporations.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:38 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Not really. The tread catches the screw or nail and flips it up. Without tread patterns you would have a great time in wet weather.

Just use bald tires and you won't have that problem.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:44 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,364,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Not really. The tread catches the screw or nail and flips it up. Without tread patterns you would have a great time in wet weather.

Just use bald tires and you won't have that problem.
I thought the tire companies were attempting to make more modern tires that avoid such punctures. I'm sure it still happens, my wife had one a couple of months ago (first time ever, and first incident I've seen in decades).

But the OP says that he's had 3 such punctures in a short amount of time. Seems like the design of THOSE treads needs to be examined ... or the car is used in a construction area where there are a lot of these screws.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:01 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I have to admit, I had no idea that it was so easy to have a screw be driven into the tire tread that way.
And no, she doesn't drive it in or near any construction sites. Normal suburban roads & highways. Ohh well.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:00 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I have to admit, I had no idea that it was so easy to have a screw be driven into the tire tread that way.
And no, she doesn't drive it in or near any construction sites. Normal suburban roads & highways. Ohh well.
I spent 30 years as a construction contractor and I was constantly getting dry wall screw embedded in my truck tires. The worst culprits are the dry wall contractors who use these screws and they are always falling off the back of their trucks unlike the guys who come around with TV's and washers and dryers that have fallen off the back of the truck.( different contracting business)
Lots of drywall contractors lunch in Dunellen so just don't park behind their trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: