Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,142 times

Advertisements

Looking for information from parents or friends who know about programs for autistic children in Hamilton Township School District. I did call a couple of private schools but they were located in Princeton and its borough and cater to the local population which I will not tbe able to afford. Any information will be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 08:04 PM

44 posts, read 270,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lata_b View Post

Looking for information from parents or friends who know about programs for autistic children in Hamilton Township School District. I did call a couple of private schools but they were located in Princeton and its borough and cater to the local population which I will not tbe able to afford. Any information will be very helpful.
Your school district, Hamilton will pay for your child''s school. You should not be responsible for any payment. I'm not sure what county Hamilton is in but all counties have a regional educational commission that encompasses all specialty school programs, from autistic to physically disabled, deaf/ blind etc.

We are in Middlesex county, their website (middlesex county regional education commision) shows all the schools and what age range is taught and their services (if your district of Hamilton says he needs it) like speech ther. or occupational.

An excellent resource is COSAC, stands for something like community outreach services for the autistic community. Do a websearch of COSAC NJ and it will come up, they will help with your IEP , anything at all.

I hope I'm not oversimplifying I'm not sure how much you know. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Where are you coming from and what grade will your child be in?

Old 07-07-2007, 11:43 AM

31 posts, read 225,796 times
A friend of mine with two Aspberger kids lives in Hamilton, and I seem to recall that the school district pays for the schooling. There is a very active autism community in that area with AutismSpeaks (formerly NAAR)... you might want to talk to the local chapter (they have an annual walk in the fall which has a nice turnout). NJ has a higher rate of autism, but it partially is because many outofstaters have moved here for the great programs.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:33 AM

26 posts, read 83,896 times
Isn't there a huge Autism Public school in Middlesex? Can anyone give any input on this topic???

I heard there was one, and I don't know the name. When I look for autism in middlesex there seem to be several schools with programs, but I am looking for one in particular that has after school programs so the children can socialize w/ friends after school hours.

Many of these kids tend to go home after school and then that's it. Not much contact with "friends" (other kids) after hours.

Does the school district pay for such private schools of your choice? Or do they tell you where your kid is going to go?

Old 07-31-2010, 11:49 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamachka View Post
Does the school district pay for such private schools of your choice? Or do they tell you where your kid is going to go?
I am not a parent but I am familiar with school policies in New Jersey. Generally speaking, school districts prefer to keep kids in-district (it's better for the families since the school is nearby, and it saves money in a crucial budget era). If a child's condition is especially severe, they will send him/her to a private facility.

The school district determines where a child will go based on the IEP. Parents don't get to pick and choose private schools that the district (a/k/a taxpayers) will fund. Of course, parents are certainly welcome to send their child to a private school if they prefer it. If the district funds a private education, it often requires parent cooperation with the private school's program, since there is a set program for the child. The district is accountable to taxpayers, so parents are expected to make a proper commitment to the program that is being paid for.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:39 PM

TheGambler thank you for your reply...what you say of course makes sense.

I think my question was not really clear though. It may have come off the wrong way! :-(

I was not meaning to just ask:

Does the school district pay for such private schools of your choice? Not meaning do the parents get to pick a school that is $100, 000 a semester... and the taxpayers foot the bill.

BUT...what I really meant to ask was...Is there a choice of schools based on the child's needs and the parents can pick from that?

In other words can the parents (who are also taxpayers... not just the people without children with autism) choose from options?

For example...When my little boy was first assessed I knew what school I wanted him in due to their reputation. They evaluated him and due to his needs...they gave me a choice of 1 of 3 different schools that can work with those needs. The school I wanted him in WAS one of the choices...and I gladly chose that one. That is what I mean. Not can the parents pick and choose where to put them and the school district complies.

Do the parents have any input on the selection...not demands of the selection.

Thank you

Old 08-01-2010, 12:53 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamachka View Post
BUT...what I really meant to ask was...Is there a choice of schools based on the child's needs and the parents can pick from that?

In other words can the parents (who are also taxpayers... not just the people without children with autism) choose from options?

For example...When my little boy was first assessed I knew what school I wanted him in due to their reputation. They evaluated him and due to his needs...they gave me a choice of 1 of 3 different schools that can work with those needs. The school I wanted him in WAS one of the choices...and I gladly chose that one. That is what I mean. Not can the parents pick and choose where to put them and the school district complies.

Do the parents have any input on the selection...not demands of the selection.

Thank you
Oh, sure. Most school districts will work with parents to find a suitable situation. Chances are, the people who work in the district and develop the IEPs know what's best (generally speaking), but if you're dead-set against something as a parent, you certainly have a long chain of command to climb, and you'll probably get someone willing to listen. Principals, Pupil Personnel Svcs. director, superintendent, school board, etc.

Sometimes small town districts will send children to a neighboring town which has a specific program as well. They try to balance it out. Actually, in many instances, I've seen public school programs that are better funded than private school programs, however, so I wouldn't discount a public school program if I was a parent of an autistic child. Some of them are quite good, and they're often developed by people who previously worked and/or ran private schools themselves.

Hamilton actually has a number of local private schools, though. Through the grapevine, I've heard PCDI is really the superior one.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Thank you TheGambler! Actually I am really preferring Public School (see my original post) but in case that does not work out...I wanted to know how the private school selection situation works ahead of time (before moving) in case it is needed.

And thank you for the PCDI tip! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: