Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:06 PM

9 posts, read 18,407 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from Grad school in Miami, FL. I am planning to move to Piscataway for a training session. However I'd like to look out for jobs and therefore would probably need easy communication to NJ city and/ or NYC constantly. Is living in a Piscataway a good option? What is the easiest way to commute from Piscataway to NYC? How far would that be according to time distance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 06:52 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,611,838 times
Pisthataway has always kind of struck me as a semi o rmostly suburban place with lots of offices and commercial establishments with an Interstate that loops around NYC (I-287) running through it. I think it might take 30 to 45 minutes to get to major cities from there, with the exception that almost no one who works in NYC drives in from anywhere on a Mon-Fri basis because of impracticalities. Manhattan anyway. I'd have to check what train stations are nearby, but regular ole driving is an option to most other destinations, especially the similar suburban ones. HTH

Old 08-02-2010, 07:09 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,163,435 times
The closest train stations to Piscataway are Edison and New Brunswick. Depending on exactly where in Piscataway you would be coming from, it could end up being a 20-minute drive to either of these stations because of traffic (especially traffic into NB). Then it's about a 40 minute train ride into NYC. Personally, I would not live in Piscataway if I needed to commute to NYC every day. You should look further north at towns directly on the train line like Linden or Rahway if you're on a budget, and places like Hoboken or Jersey City if you can afford it.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Personally, I would not live in Piscataway if I needed to commute to NYC every day. You should look further north at towns directly on the train line like Linden or Rahway if you're on a budget, and places like Hoboken or Jersey City if you can afford it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I'd have to check what train stations are nearby, but regular ole driving is an option to most other destinations, especially the similar suburban ones. HTH
Well, thing is for the training purpose it's mandatory for me to live in Piscataway for the first few months. The zip code of the place would be NJ 08854. However since I'd like to go out and take interviews in different parts of NYC, therefore it's also important for me to have a easy transportation system, if not time saving.

If possible please let me know about the safety of this place, the race dominance, social/ cultural activities in the city. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 AM

Safety is not any issue usually, typical busy suburb, much safer in my opinion than older urban cities such as J City, etc.
As far as racial dominance,,, people with 2 legs and 2 arms primarily.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 AM

312 posts, read 1,165,271 times
Piscataway is pretty diverse and is very safe and I think it'd be a nice place to live. The best way to get into the city is with the New Jersey Transit train. The only issues would be finding parking at the train stations. As was mentioned earlier, the closest stations are Edison and new brunswick. I'm not sure it is easy to get daily parking at those stations. If it is difficult then you'd have to drive to Metropark station which would prob take 20-30 min to get to depending on where you end up is Piscataway. Parking at Metropark is plentiful and the train is 35-45 min into NYC.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,997,581 times
Driving:

Taking I-287 South/440 North to Staten Island: (North 440 begins where South I-287 ends.) You will have to pay the $8 bridge toll (Verazanno, I believe) only going INTO SI plus parking at the Staten Island Ferry station. The ferry from SI to NYC is a free ride. The ferry's journey takes about 30-40 mins However, this is a longer commute.

Mass transit:

NJ Transit: Edison & New Brunswick train stations on the Northeast Corridor (NEC) line.
A ONE-WAY trip from NB to NYC should cost about $10.50, from Edison: a couple of bucks less . The commute is about 40 mins from New Brunswick and about 30-35 mins from Edison via NJ Transit rail.

NJ Transit (listed at the bottom of the page).

*Note: If you are stating on/after 8/8/10, please look at the revised NEC pdf link!

Amtrak: New Brunswick also has an Amtrak station, which can get you to NYC a lot faster! The ticket prices might be insanely expensive though. Also, the Amtrak stops at that station are less frequent.

Amtrak-New Brunswick

Parking: There's parking at the station in Edison, but NOT in New Brunswick. You will have to park at one of the city's parking decks.
I suggest parking in the Ferren Mall Plaza parking deck on Church St.(very close to the train station and is free on the weekends (i think?)). The parking deck rates are very reasonable.

NB Parking Authority-Parking Locator

Hope this answered your commuting questions!

Old 08-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Thanks guys for quick and very informative replies. However, for various reasons, I don't think I can afford have a car while I will be in Piscataway. Is there any way to know how to get to the station in New Brunswick/ Edison without a car? I suppose taxi would be too expensive. Any local bus/ train services?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:13 AM

Any bus services are usually listed on the NJ Transit website, depends where in Piscataway you are.
Also that bridge is the Outerbridge crossing, the Verazzano is on the other side of SI going from SI to Brooklyn & LI.

That evil demon racist website Google maps also displays oublic transit options.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
That evil demon racist website Google maps also displays oublic transit options.
Of course they do with the help of few people like you, it's growing it's "ism"s at a faster pace, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey