Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 10:27 AM

63 posts, read 143,351 times

Advertisements

My husband and I grew up in Scotch plains, nj. We moved out to Bethlehem PA with my sister's family and my parents. My sister's husband and both our parents are retired, but my husband still works in NJ. When we moved, it was with the understanding that my husbands business, which he owns with his brother, would move closer to the PA line when they could. Then a second business came up for sale that we were looking at when we lived in NJ. We bought that one also, for extra income as a silent owner. Well, then the economy tanked! So the silent owners became full time owners running 2 business in NJ. We are now seriously thinking about moving back, since the second business is a retail market in Watchung/Warren NJ and will require much more time than we wanted it to. We have a 3 1/2 little girl and I'm not that familiar with the surrounding towns like I was in unioun county. I want to stay CLOSE to mountain blvd, in warren. I also want a small little house with just 3 bedroom and 1 /2 baths for 450,000.00 What towns do you all recommend? School system needs to be good!

Judy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 01:03 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyr908 View Post
My husband and I grew up in Scotch plains, nj. We moved out to Bethlehem PA with my sister's family and my parents. My sister's husband and both our parents are retired, but my husband still works in NJ. When we moved, it was with the understanding that my husbands business, which he owns with his brother, would move closer to the PA line when they could. Then a second business came up for sale that we were looking at when we lived in NJ. We bought that one also, for extra income as a silent owner. Well, then the economy tanked! So the silent owners became full time owners running 2 business in NJ. We are now seriously thinking about moving back, since the second business is a retail market in Watchung/Warren NJ and will require much more time than we wanted it to. We have a 3 1/2 little girl and I'm not that familiar with the surrounding towns like I was in unioun county. I want to stay CLOSE to mountain blvd, in warren. I also want a small little house with just 3 bedroom and 1 /2 baths for 450,000.00 What towns do you all recommend? School system needs to be good!

Judy
Right next to Warren & Watchung are the towns of Green Brook & Long Hill. Long Hill is in Morris County, and many people know it by the names of the smaller areas within the town; Gillette, Stirling and Millington. All the towns listed above have their own elementary schools, and send their high school kids to Watchung Hills Regional High. Also pretty close by is Berkeley Heights. Most people will agree that all these towns have excellent school systems Here's a link to the NJ Dept. of Education report cards. You can choose by County, then district, to find tons of objective data about possible schools, so you can look at the specific facts that are important to you.

As to finding a house, there are currently 64 properties listed for sale in the above named towns that meet your criteria of 3 bedrooms and a maximum price of $450k. Now, since you mention a particular STREET, not just a town, you'll have to look at a map and decide what specific areas work for you.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:36 PM

Thanks so much! The street is where the fish market, that we own, Mansueto's will be hopefully moving to, from Watchung ave, in Watchung. Thanks so much! If you in the area, stop in and say hi!

Old 11-08-2010, 02:57 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyr908 View Post
Thanks so much! The street is where the fish market, that we own, Mansueto's will be hopefully moving to, from Watchung ave, in Watchung. Thanks so much! If you in the area, stop in and say hi!
Ohh, I haven't been there in a while, but I am very familiar with Mansuetos. Excellent fresh fish! I would have thought your current location does nice business, though anywhere on Mountain Blvd will be closer to me! Are you moving to a larger building? How long have you been the owners?

Old 11-08-2010, 03:43 PM

My husband and his brother have been owners for about 2 years now, just as we bought it the economy took it downhill. It was doing really, really well before than and was just going to be a little side business that would run itself once we got the right people in place. We have added fish and chips and now we wil be doing a delivery service for lunches. We think the better location will bring in more customers and we get complaints about the parking. Plus, it's a really old building and don't think the landlord is up for helping us fix it up. We will have seating for a lunch crowd and we hope to offer catering services. We have an excellent reputation as you know, but we need to bring in more customers.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 PM

143 posts, read 416,126 times
Judy you are making me pine for NJ again. Good luck with the business & your move. Warren, Watchung, & Berkley Heights are very close & all good choices. You may like New Providence even better, great little town with great schools & lots of older smaller homes, as opposed to the others which tend to have newer larger homes.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:31 PM

9 posts, read 37,686 times
Warren school district is amazing and with a huge budget (rare these days).... 450$ will barely get you in. And that home will be a cape or ranch. But its worth it for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey