Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 AM

777 posts, read 2,384,881 times

Advertisements

With the holidays around the corner, what does the town you live in, offer its residents? Here in Westwood, they are having 'Home for the Holidays'. Appearances by Santa and Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, tree lighting, merchant open houses, animal parade, free hot chocolate and hot cider. Great activities for the kids. They also have Santa visit every street in Westwood atop a firetruck and the Westwood firefighters hand out candy canes.

I think Westwood does a great job for the community, so what does your town do to celebrate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 04:57 AM

51,015 posts, read 36,724,385 times
Ocean City has breakfast with Santa at a different restaurant every weekend between T-Day and Christmas, and you can get your child's photo taken with him in a lifeguard boat! They have free horse and carriage rides on Asbury Ave every Saturday and Sunday as well as a free holiday "train" ride for the little guys. My favorite thing is that Playland lights their ferris wheel and keeps it lit all night every night from Black Friday through Christmas!

Old 12-02-2010, 05:47 AM

7,224 posts, read 11,956,399 times
The only think my town does is send a few rednecks dressed as Santa & Co. around on the firetruck to wave at kiddies.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:10 AM

777 posts, read 2,384,881 times
Lol, sorry Calico, I guess its something though! Ocnjgirl, sounds nice! We need some pics of the ferris wheel!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:17 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,758,979 times
In Ringwood each of the lake communities and the volunteer fire department host a different meal with Santa. The fire department also does the Santa on the fire truck thing which I think is so awesome. This Sunday afternoon Santa flies in on a helicoptor and sits in this little tiny "workshop" in the parking lot of the shopping center and takes pictures with the kids while the police hand out candy to people waiting in line. And at Ringwood Manor they do victorian christmas tours.

And if Santa is feeling extra charitable he'll make it snow a couple of times so they can close the road out of my town and I can have a snow day!

Last edited by icibiu; 12-02-2010 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: wrong smilie

Old 12-02-2010, 08:27 AM

96 posts, read 351,041 times
Westwood is the best.

Our town doesn't do squat, but with the state of the economy maybe they shouldn't unless the celebration was funded soley by donations.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,758,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J1968 View Post
Westwood is the best.

Our town doesn't do squat, but with the state of the economy maybe they shouldn't unless the celebration was funded soley by donations.
I was just thinking about this yesterday couple of my co workers and i were talking and the only three people whose towns did the Santa on the fire truck thing happen to live in towns were the fire dept. is volunteer. Does anyone whose town has a fire dept funded with tax money have the Santa on the truck thing? I would think it's kind of weird to use tax dollars for this...

Old 12-02-2010, 03:43 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,998,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
With the holidays around the corner, what does the town you live in, offer its residents? Here in Westwood, they are having 'Home for the Holidays'. Appearances by Santa and Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, tree lighting, merchant open houses, animal parade, free hot chocolate and hot cider. Great activities for the kids. They also have Santa visit every street in Westwood atop a firetruck and the Westwood firefighters hand out candy canes.

I think Westwood does a great job for the community, so what does your town do to celebrate?
I lived in Westwood for 40 years, and was there while my kids were young. Home for the Holidays is one of our best memories, so I'm glad to hear it's still going on. We have several Westwood ornaments on our Christmas tree. They used to sell them to offset the cost of the parade and events in Veterans Park.
The Santa on the fire truck thing has been around since I was tiny! We do have that in GA, where we are now, but not the extravaganza I remember from NJ.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:49 PM

162 posts, read 546,943 times
Our town is having a tree lighting this sunday, before the 5pm lighting we have Pics with Santa and his helpers. They bring in a tent in the fanwood train station parking lot and have arts crafts for kids. Also milk, cookies donuts, hot chocolate and coffee for everyone. Then the following Sat. Santa comes to everyone's house and brings a gift to the kids and takes more pics... (thanks to the Fanwood fire dept. )

Old 12-03-2010, 11:25 AM

51,015 posts, read 36,724,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
Lol, sorry Calico, I guess its something though! Ocnjgirl, sounds nice! We need some pics of the ferris wheel!
Okay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey