Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:17 AM

102 posts, read 331,257 times

Advertisements

What is the general cost of installing recessed lighting? We're looking to have some installed in our living room and maybe the bedrooms. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 09:21 AM

357 posts, read 1,027,368 times
It will depend like anything in life. Is there access from above, like an attic? If there is, cheap and easy. If there isn't, more expensive. Now you have to cut sheetrock or plaster (and replace, spackle, paint) to run wires etc. Also is there a light (meaning electric already run) in the middle or is this a new addition? Some question that will have a bearing on costs.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:47 AM

154 posts, read 667,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobodbf View Post
What is the general cost of installing recessed lighting? We're looking to have some installed in our living room and maybe the bedrooms. Thanks.
I live in a condo and was considering getting recessed lighting but changed my mind after several quotes from several certified electricians - $200 per light just for labor.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 AM

102 posts, read 331,257 times
Yes, there is attic space, albeit it is small. I don't believe there's currently electricity running above the rooms, although the bathroom right next to one of our bedrooms has recessed lighting so not sure if that counts. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:42 AM

857 posts, read 2,003,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobodbf View Post
Yes, there is attic space, albeit it is small. I don't believe there's currently electricity running above the rooms, although the bathroom right next to one of our bedrooms has recessed lighting so not sure if that counts. Thanks for your input.
tough situation. If there is no overhead light in the room (you have a switch that controls an outlet, right?), it's going to be a big job running a line from the switch up to the ceiling - depending on where the circuit is coming into the switch box. But it's possible.

The attic space being small isn't really an issue - they just need to be able to get 'over' where the lights go so they can run the wires between them.

Bottom line - whatever the going rate is for this kind of work, you will probably be looking toward the higher end of it.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:14 PM

357 posts, read 1,027,368 times
I'd still take an small attic over head with access to a second floor overhead with no access any time any day.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:08 AM

417 posts, read 457,013 times
I would try calling 2 or 3 electricians and see if they will give you a range over the phone so at least you have some idea. I had done that with a few and did get some idea and they were all pretty similar.
I know we had some put in- and I think it was more like 125 each. I know there was another issue with whether there was an existing switch or if it had to be added(naturally that was an extra charge)... this was the first floor of a 2 story house.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:57 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,790,476 times
With attic access it shouldn't be too expensive for them to tap into a power source and run a line down the wall for a switch. I say about $300 plus the cost of fixtures per room. If there is no attic access, it will easily triple the cost, not to mention the cost of fixing the sheet rock and repainting it to make it look perfect again.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 PM

22 posts, read 67,172 times
your best bet is to call a large electrical company. They will send one of their workers out to evaluate the situation. Act surprised at the price that he gives you and tell him that you didn't want to spend that much. He will ask how much you were willing to spend and offer to do the job off the books for you. If it is just some recessed lighting, you are in no real danger of anything going wrong, but you never know with electricity. I don't know anyone who wasn't offered a side deal by an electrician. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:04 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,407,386 times
"If it is just some recessed lighting, you are in no real danger of anything going wrong, but you never know with electricity. I don't know anyone who wasn't offered a side deal by an electrician. Good luck."

Of course nothing ever goes wrong with electrical work but electrical faults are the number one cause of home fires.
So who you gonna sue for damages just in case something does go wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey