Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:27 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by balancesheet View Post
[SIZE=3]Just to update everyone – as I was getting ready to mail in my appeal form, I received a letter from the town’s assessor. Apparently they did a property value reassessment for the entire town and are going to lower my property value by 13%. Great news! It saved me lot of time and the appeal fee. I think this reassessment will help lowering many homeowners with their property tax bills since their basis will be lower and bring up the value of some under-assessed properties to market.
[/SIZE]
well that happened to me and guess what that means you cant appeal your taxes and they dont go lower!!! Sneaky little trick!!! In some cases they dont always go down. Tahiti was lucky, they did that here and it did not change!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,216 times
I thought if you ask a question to your tax office they help answer your questions. I was told go to your congressman. So i talked to the senators helper who called the tax assessor and asked where can we get help for appealing our taxes since i could not find any comparable sales and they said look in your white pages. Was that a smart remark? What should i do about it? Jane

Old 04-17-2011, 11:14 AM

222 posts, read 779,614 times
Question Tax appeal- hearing date

Hello,
So we appealed the property taxes and received the hearing date (which is in 2 weeks). What are my actions? Should I call an assessor of my town and try to negotiate? Asking since I have never done it and there is no place where I can read about it...
Please share your experience.
Thank you

Old 04-17-2011, 12:02 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
Hello,
So we appealed the property taxes and received the hearing date (which is in 2 weeks). What are my actions? Should I call an assessor of my town and try to negotiate? Asking since I have never done it and there is no place where I can read about it...
Please share your experience.
Thank you
Why did you appeal?

Old 04-17-2011, 03:28 PM

Default Tax appeal

First, the error in the assesment as one of our bethrooms is not upgraded and they put as it was. Second, obviously current market price is much lower than the assesed value..

Old 04-17-2011, 03:49 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Read this for some basic info: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa...t/ptappeal.pdf

What evidence do you have to support your claim? And you MUST talk to your tax guy before court but after you have all your evidence.....

Old 04-17-2011, 03:51 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
You really can't appeal the taxes, just the assessment.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
This may be useful.

Reducing property taxes is possible, but not likely | NJ.com

Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 PM

Question Tax appleal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Read this for some basic info: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa...t/ptappeal.pdf

What evidence do you have to support your claim? And you MUST talk to your tax guy before court but after you have all your evidence.....
Thank you for info...Sorry this is not really useful...I've read it like 100 times..

Evidence..I have 5 sales that I believe support the case that my property is overassesed based on the 5 current sales - comparable sales..
My question is for people who've done the appeal and done it successluly..
What evidence can I bring? Pictures? How can I prove that those properties are similar to minr. Yes, I believe that they are, but how can I prove it?
Thank you very much

Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 PM

Default Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You really can't appeal the taxes, just the assessment.
I do not appeal taxes - I appeal the assessed value
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey