Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times

Advertisements

What do you know and think about TOD / ROD in NJ?

Transit Orientated Developments are centered around Transit / Rail lines , an example of this is Newport in Jersey City and Liberty Harbor section of JC. Those are the 2 largest Modern examples , historic examples of Rail orientated developments can be found along just about Every Railway in NJ. Newer Rail Orientated Developments can be found in Rahway , South Amboy , Teterboro , Secaucus , Park Ridge and Emerson. They range form a few apartments ontop of shops to Large Scale Condo / Shop Development. Its all about reducing car usage and using more Mass Transit / Rail services.....its been very successful in NJ so far. The New thing is for towns and cities to redevelop after demolishing old Industrial plants and factories. Or to rehab those plants and turn them into lofts like in Jersey City and Paterson.

The list of towns / Cities that will have some sort of ROD / TOD later this decade and into the 2020s , anywhere form small projects to giant projects... , some of towns won't get Rail service intill later this decade or after that.

Mahwah
Ramsey
Allendale
Waldwick
Ridgewood
Glenrock
Hawthorne
Paterson
Clifton
Passaic
Lyndhurst
Secaucus
Rutherford
Garfield
Fairlawn

Wood - Ridge
Teterboro
Hackensack
River Edge
Westwood
Hillsdale

Dumont
Bergenfield
Teaneck
Bogota
North Bergen
Englewood
Tenafly
Cresskill
Ridgefield Park
Saddle Brook
Elmwood Park
Midland Park
Pompton Lakes
Bulter
Sparta
Franklin
Kearny
Belleville
North Newark
Bloomfield
Harrison
Montclair
Wayne
Nutley
East Orange
Madison
Morristown
Morris Plains
Dover
Denville
Netcong
Hackettstown
Mount Olive
Washington
Philpsburg

Alpha
Bloomsbury
Raritan
Somerville
Bridgewater
Plainfield
Union

Newark (Mostly East Ward , Central and North wards)
Jersey City ( Various sections)
Elizabeth
Rahway
Woodbridge
Metchun
Edison
New Brunswick

Perth Amboy
Somerset
South Bound Brook
South River
Sayerville
South Amboy
Red Bank
Long Branch
Asbury Park
Belmar
Bayhead
Tom's River
Lakehurst
Lakewood
Freehold
Jamesburg
Monmouth Junction

Belle Mead
Hopewell
Pennington
West Trenton
Trenton
Hamilton
Ewing
Atlantic City
Egg Harbor City
Hammonton
Atco
Lindenwold
Haddonfield
Collingswood

Camden
Pennsauken
Palmyra
Delanco
Burlington
Bordentown
Woodbury
Glassboro
Gloucester City
Millville
Vineland
Penns Grove
Salem
Paulsboro
Cape May
Ocean City
Bayonne
Closter
Hoboken
Princeton JCT

Pictures of Various ROD / TOD Projects

Liberty Harbor North Phase 1

Liberty Harbor North Phase 2 is scene in the distance , construction should begin later this year..

Newport - The First TOD project in the state and most successful , 2 piers still need to be built on and the Northeast section but its looking like by 2017 those will be filled.

Harrison's TOD is under Construction , its massive , heres phase 1.

Rahway's Town Center ROD Project.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
I did see a proposal for a transit village around the Elizabeth train station and then another whole entire new town off US1 between New Bruns & Princeton alonf the NE Corridor.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,187 times
Millville and Vineland have a lot of potential for TOD and Transit Oriented Re-development by the railroad tracks.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:52 AM

67 posts, read 343,959 times
this is about as meaningless as the ARC proposal.
Aside from that the only stations/towns receiving actual TOD are the affluent ones that are home to a NOTABLE amount of NYC/Hudson county commuters (Morristown, Summit, Montclair).
NJ Transit should drop all of the completely pointless proposals that jus further feed new jerseys social segregation, and and just go back to the 70% original fares, that made everyone happy to use the only truely rapid statewide transit service.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbarkley View Post
this is about as meaningless as the ARC proposal.
Aside from that the only stations/towns receiving actual TOD are the affluent ones that are home to a NOTABLE amount of NYC/Hudson county commuters (Morristown, Summit, Montclair).
NJ Transit should drop all of the completely pointless proposals that jus further feed new jerseys social segregation, and and just go back to the 70% original fares, that made everyone happy to use the only truely rapid statewide transit service.
What are you taking about the region's Highway system is stressed so , there going to restore alot of Railways....whether you like it or not. As for TOD it brings revenue to the towns and cities , sometimes even lowering the Property Tax. People are not happy driving miles to take a train so theres another reason why the state is restoring 600 miles of Railway by 2040. What Social Segregation , .....i never heard of such a thing....

Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
What are you taking about the region's Highway system is stressed so , there going to restore alot of Railways....whether you like it or not. As for TOD it brings revenue to the towns and cities , sometimes even lowering the Property Tax. People are not happy driving miles to take a train so theres another reason why the state is restoring 600 miles of Railway by 2040. What Social Segregation , .....i never heard of such a thing....
Nex, do you think they'll ever get around to restoring the old Susquehanna line? They've talked about it for years. That ran through my hometown in Bergen County--still has the occasional freight train, but it's a single track.

When I was a kid the tracks were across the street from my grandmother's house, and there was still passenger service. We used to go out and wave to the engineer, lol.

My grandfather was a stationmaster at the Wyckoff station, but he died five years before I was born.

Both my parents grew up in Midland Park, which had no high school, so they took the train every day to Pompton Lakes.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nex, do you think they'll ever get around to restoring the old Susquehanna line? They've talked about it for years. That ran through my hometown in Bergen County--still has the occasional freight train, but it's a single track.

When I was a kid the tracks were across the street from my grandmother's house, and there was still passenger service. We used to go out and wave to the engineer, lol.

My grandfather was a stationmaster at the Wyckoff station, but he died five years before I was born.

Both my parents grew up in Midland Park, which had no high school, so they took the train every day to Pompton Lakes.
You mean the Sparta line , yes NJT has put it on the radar.....for late in 2020s. The First phase will restore it form Hawthorne to Hackensack , Phase 2 , Hackensack to North Bergen JCT , Phase 3 would be Hawthorne to Sparta or Warwick.... It serves one of the higher commuter corridors in this state , but NJT wants to restore it in a Light Rail format....

Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You mean the Sparta line , yes NJT has put it on the radar.....for late in 2020s. The First phase will restore it form Hawthorne to Hackensack , Phase 2 , Hackensack to North Bergen JCT , Phase 3 would be Hawthorne to Sparta or Warwick.... It serves one of the higher commuter corridors in this state , but NJT wants to restore it in a Light Rail format....
Cool! The population of the areas it runs through has grown drastically since I was a kid, and that service in the future will probably be much-needed.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Cool! The population of the areas it runs through has grown drastically since I was a kid, and that service in the future will probably be much-needed.
NJT botched the project up so it stalled , they left out a few towns in phase 1....so there about 5 years behind on the project. The City of Hackensack Demanded NJT create a Transfer station at the Pascack Valley line , so back to the drawing boards it went. Maywood , Saddle Brook , and Rochelle Park wanted a stop aswell and were surprised they were left out......I guess this is what you get when you hire out of state firms to design or restored railways...

Old 01-07-2011, 01:17 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,816 times
The plan for Collingswood is to build an official TOD along the PATCO which gets you into Philly in about 12 minutes. Problem is they already started a project along the PATCO in the early 2000's call The Lumberyard. They were meant to be affluent (high priced) condos that included retail and some green space. The market turned and the in-house developer never "adjusted" the prices so they sit half completed and dead on the vine. Collingswood has since borrowed money to keep the project afloat and an in town realtor has taken over. Too little, too late and despite some movement of late.
In addition, they are planning to build an official TOD two blocks down the track. Collingswood has great vision but misses the obvious as they go after trendy ideas but don't allow alcohol or established retail. So now you have new construction with all the suburban look and "local" stores inside that turn over every 6 months. "Joe's Coffee" will never trump a Starbuck's. Just don't hit my taxes to build it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey