Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:34 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingMommy View Post
There was a home in USR that I liked, but some people on this forum (who grew up in USR) advised me that it's not a very family-friendly town..
Interesting. I didn't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 AM

41 posts, read 112,220 times
Our agent said that there are "nice" and "nicer" areas of FL.. can anyone tell me which parts are nicer? Thanks

Old 02-02-2011, 05:55 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Quote:
Our agent said that there are "nice" and "nicer" areas of FL.. can anyone tell me which parts are nicer? Thanks
I think it's just how big the homes are in a particular area or development. There are no bad parts for sure, but there might be a few pockets that have 500,000 houses (as opposed to 2 million.) Most of the smaller and older (relatively speaking) homes would be on main roads though.

Last edited by Ann77; 02-02-2011 at 06:26 AM..

Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Allendale & Wyckoff have small downtowns, Ramsey a bit bigger. USR literally has Elmer's and a gas station...that's it.

Not sure what "paying a premium" for the Ridgewood train station means. Allendale & Ramsey have stations as well.

Franklin Lakes traditionally is one of the 2 or 3 fanciest towns in BC. You're not going to get a bargain there.
Allendale has a very small downtown. I wouldn't move to Allendale for the downtown, if that was an important factor.

You pay a premium in any of those three towns for the train line.

Franklin Lakes isn't cheap either of course. And the higher-end houses (2,3,4 mil) tend to make the less expensive houses more expensive because the market is skews high. The property taxes there are much lower than what you would pay in some other towns for the same value of house though.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
I have friends there - they say it has to do with how close one is to the train tracks and whether or not you can hear/see 287 from your property

Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 PM

103 posts, read 395,078 times
When we were looking and drove through Old Tappan it looked like it was mostly mansions. I didn't want to feel like the poorest people in town! But it was very pretty. I love Wyckoff- it is just very pretty. For a downtown what about Woodcliff Lake or Westwood? Franklin Lakes is a nice town with good schools and the only thing I think I woudl choose FL over OT is that fact that it closer to things! Good luck, you will be happy with either.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,607 times
Default Old Tappan vs. Franklin Lakes

Quote:
We were previously trying to decide on Franklin Lakes or Wyckoff, and we decided on FL... but now we're interested in a home in Old Tappan as well. I don't know too much about the town (besides what I've read on these forums). Neither my husband nor I need to commute, so that isn't a factor. Here are some questions I thought of, but please feel free to expand:

-Are there more/less sidewalks in OT?
-How's the OT school system?
-Does OT have a downtown area?

Thanks so much!
Old Tappan has EXCELLENT schools, truly. Not too many sidewalks/streetlights in either town, & that seems to be part of their appeal. (F. Lakes also has very good schools, BTW.) Neither town really has a "downtown" -- both have commercial area concentrated in shopping plazas, & both have outstanding quality of life. Franklin Lakes generally has septic system, not sewers; Old Tappan has somewhat recently converted MOST of town to sewers. Both are fairly expensive places to live.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 02-12-2011 at 04:07 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 12:07 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,549 times
Default Young couple moving back

Hey Guys,

I'm originally from Oradell and my wife and I are moving back to Bergen cty after spending 10 years living abroad. We have a tight budget of around 450K to buy a 3 bedroom home. I love Haworth/Closter but I don't think its reasonable to find a home for under 550K. We are 32 years old and are planning to start a family, and will work in and around NYC. Do you have any suggestions on a decent looking house in Bergen cty for under 500K? I was thinking maybe a small home in Englewood but even that is getting expensive.

Also, is it possible to buy a home in foreclosure this year and put 50K or so into it?

Thank you for your help.......

Old 02-13-2011, 02:27 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
to the original post: old tappan is far away from things like malls and highways

franklin lakes has nearly no sidewalks if that is an issue
it is mostly 40mph county roads

but what is it you are looking for... exactly.

450k will buy you plenty... do you want to take the train to nyc or bus or what.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:44 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,748 times
I grew up in Old Tappan, my folks still live there. It's a good safe, quiet family town for sure. No downtown but there is the Bi State shopping plaza with a nice A&P, good pizza, Starbucks, CVS, the usual stuff. Not really much to do in terms of entertainment but it's close enough to other stuff. About a 15 minute drive to the Palisades Mall.

It seems like it's mostly mansionfest but there's also plenty of blocks of modestly priced homes. My folks bought land on the east side of town on the Norwood border and built their house in the late 80s and have seen the property value increase significantly. That side of town is more working class and more similar to towns like Norwood and Northvale.

There's a degree of really stuck up people and their attitudes can really get on your nerves, but if you can brush that much off your shoulder it's a good town. Has only had stoplights for little over 20 years actually haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey