Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 AM

16 posts, read 66,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcelroy View Post
Can anyone explain NJ weather to me? I'm from Florida. I've looked at the info I can find on the web, but I know that the actual story can differ from the plots of average temperatures and whatnot.

Specifically, how cold does it get in the months Oct - Mar, how much does it snow in those months? It looked from the online data like it was cold and dry in the later part of the year, but cold and wet in the early part? Is that true? How cold? How wet?

Thanks!!!!
Hi there - I'm in Florida too - considering relocating to New Jersey. What part of Florida do you live in? I'm a native too - is everyone telling you that you are crazy to even consider it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 03:11 PM

226 posts, read 860,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcelroy View Post
Can anyone explain NJ weather to me? I'm from Florida. I've looked at the info I can find on the web, but I know that the actual story can differ from the plots of average temperatures and whatnot.

Specifically, how cold does it get in the months Oct - Mar, how much does it snow in those months? It looked from the online data like it was cold and dry in the later part of the year, but cold and wet in the early part? Is that true? How cold? How wet?

Thanks!!!!
I've only been in NJ for almost 4 years so I am by no means *local* but can tell you what I've experienced so far. My in-laws live in FL and to be honest I prefer the weather here. 4 very different seasons. Spring seems to be short with a few torrential downpours and then it snaps into summer. Summer is hot and humid. Autumn is absolutely beautiful, but slightly more unpredictable (the last few Halloween's have been pretty warm but the first one was cold). Winter is cold but we're not talking crazy cold. Yes there's days when it kinda stings a little but it can be so very beautiful at the same time. Crisp air and blue blue sky, the hills covered in snow, and just about when you get sick to death of it, it's spring again. The last two winters we've hardly had any snow (much to my kids disgust) the first two winters we had about 3 good snows each year. I think the weather allows you to do more outdoor activities than you can comfortably do in FL, you just have to remember there's no such thing as the wrong type of weather, only the wrong type of clothing. I'm in Central NJ if that helps.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:46 PM

316 posts, read 1,249,127 times
Default I argee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw View Post
I've only been in NJ for almost 4 years so I am by no means *local* but can tell you what I've experienced so far. My in-laws live in FL and to be honest I prefer the weather here. 4 very different seasons. Spring seems to be short with a few torrential downpours and then it snaps into summer. Summer is hot and humid. Autumn is absolutely beautiful, but slightly more unpredictable (the last few Halloween's have been pretty warm but the first one was cold). Winter is cold but we're not talking crazy cold. Yes there's days when it kinda stings a little but it can be so very beautiful at the same time. Crisp air and blue blue sky, the hills covered in snow, and just about when you get sick to death of it, it's spring again. The last two winters we've hardly had any snow (much to my kids disgust) the first two winters we had about 3 good snows each year. I think the weather allows you to do more outdoor activities than you can comfortably do in FL, you just have to remember there's no such thing as the wrong type of weather, only the wrong type of clothing. I'm in Central NJ if that helps.
Having all four season you appreciate each one.
summer all about the shore and vacation ,BBQ,Fire works, Beach,Boardwalk.
Fall all about the leaves changing color ,apple orchars,pumkin picking, Hayrides, Oct fest at Six Flages Great Adventure.
Winter Ice skating, Skiing , at the ski resorts, The winters here a have been mild snowed twice this year only one stay more then 24 hr.
spring is very nice here great for seating outside and enjoying the weather .
There is a lot of to do here the change in the weather is great.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 PM

24 posts, read 68,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAinflorida View Post
Hi there - I'm in Florida too - considering relocating to New Jersey. What part of Florida do you live in? I'm a native too - is everyone telling you that you are crazy to even consider it??
Hi! I'm relocating from Florida to NJ also. I have lived all my life in a tropical climate, so although I am a bit apprehensive, I'm looking forward to experiencing the seasons. It gets tiring to live in such a hot environment day in and day out - plus the humidity here is not fun. All of my family up north loves the cold weather, so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that I survive!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:49 PM

849 posts, read 3,528,688 times
Talking Grew up

in NJ and now live in FL It is cold but not like the Midwest because of the moderating influence of the Atlantic. It will be warmer closer to the shore even by a few miles and you're looking at the high 20's low 30's for a few mos but you will get a few days the beginning of Jan that go lower. You need a real coat and a HAT and GLOVES. those will make you a lot warmer, believe me. You'll have a couple of good snows every year with a few small ones but we've been dealing with it long enough that the walks are shoveled and the streets plowed within a couple of hours of the snow stopping. Is gets pretty much into the 30's low 40s by March and there always seems to be one big storm of very wet snow right around St. Pats day. I can't exactly say NJ is a dry climate. We can have some brutal humidity for most of the Summer. Although the duration is less, Summer in NJ can be jsut as brutal as in FL and can feel worse in urban areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleorange View Post
Hi! I'm relocating from Florida to NJ also. I have lived all my life in a tropical climate, so although I am a bit apprehensive, I'm looking forward to experiencing the seasons. It gets tiring to live in such a hot environment day in and day out - plus the humidity here is not fun. All of my family up north loves the cold weather, so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that I survive!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Hi! What part of Florida do you live in? I'm in Fort Lauderdale - I'm a Native actually. Do you have a time frame for when you are making the move? I'm still in the planning stages - I'd like to move sooner than later but I just don't have the funds to support it yet. What part of Jersey are you moving to? I'm looking to go to Central - Cliffwood, Matawan. I'm a legal secretary/paralegal and have been online looking a jobs. Its all very exciting - I hope i can make it happen sooner rather than later .

Old 02-26-2008, 05:09 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times
It's colder here..... duh

Old 02-26-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Hi! What part of Florida do you live in? I'm in Fort Lauderdale - I'm a Native actually. Do you have a time frame for when you are making the move? I'm still in the planning stages - I'd like to move sooner than later but I just don't have the funds to support it yet. What part of Jersey are you moving to? I'm looking to go to Central - Cliffwood, Matawan. I'm a legal secretary/paralegal and have been online looking a jobs. Its all very exciting - I hope i can make it happen sooner rather than later .
Oh, how funny. I just asked you the same question on the other post. I'm close to you. In Miami. I'll be going up at the end of July. It could be sooner if I find a job before that. I'm trying to save money in the meantime, but no matter what will be going up at the end of my lease here which is at the end of July. I'll be moving to NNJ: Morris county. I work in IT. Hopefully I can find a job while I'm still here, but I have a feeling that may be very difficult.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Oh, how funny. I just asked you the same question on the other post. I'm close to you. In Miami. I'll be going up at the end of July. It could be sooner if I find a job before that. I'm trying to save money in the meantime, but no matter what will be going up at the end of my lease here which is at the end of July. I'll be moving to NNJ: Morris county. I work in IT. Hopefully I can find a job while I'm still here, but I have a feeling that may be very difficult.
We should keep in touch - it would be fun to compare our experiences. Ive found this site to be really helpful. Hey! we are having a cold front tonight!! Brace yourselves sports fans is going down into the 40s!!!! Considering it was almost 90 over the weekend - that's quite a dip!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
We should keep in touch - it would be fun to compare our experiences. Ive found this site to be really helpful. Hey! we are having a cold front tonight!! Brace yourselves sports fans is going down into the 40s!!!! Considering it was almost 90 over the weekend - that's quite a dip!
Yes, I know. I'm kind of excited!!

If you want PM to let me know when you go up. It sounds like you are headed there sooner than I am. Good luck!! And just see this as an adventure. I think it's exciting!

ETA: Yes, this site rocks! I love coming here! (Everyone is so nice. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey