Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:39 AM

12 posts, read 132,047 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been discussing whether to move or not from the mid-west to NJ, I wish we have a crystal ball, but since we don't, I figure this forum is the next best thing

One thing we can NOT figure out is whether moving is a good idea with regard to the education of our child. He is going be high school student soon. Right now we live in a top school district. I know NJ have good schools (though that forces us to live in an expensive area), so I am not worried about the quality of high school education. But I heard that when it comes to university entrance, a student from a less developed state has some what an advantage. In particular, we are asian, and I was told that he will be competing with other asian students for a limited number of vacancies available for each state in top universities. Since NJ has a far larger asian student population, that means that for him at least, the chance of getting into a top university is reduced, thus moving is bad for him.

Now, is there any truth to that, at all?

Some background info: I have been offer a job in northern NJ with a salary increase from 100K to 150K (including bonus). Currently my wife and I and a child live in the mid-west (MI) with a 4 bed/2500 sq ft house, cost <= 300K, tax 5K. A house (likely older) in an area we want to live in would cost >= $800K with 13K tax. After the move, between us, we will be commuting 1.5 hours more one-way.

Financially, we figured that the extra income will be consumed by extra mortgage, tax, and commuting cost, so we break even. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Quality of life wise, we will have less time together and with child.

The only up side is career opportunity, with the new job more interesting than the old one, and more opportunities in NJ in the future for both of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 07:03 AM

78 posts, read 400,632 times
If your job is in Northern NJ (not NYC), I would think you can find a great town to live with less than 1 hour comute one-way for $800K budget. At this time, the market is slower compared to 2 years back. you may get some bargain for purchasing your house.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 AM

Thanks lin67.

Jobs for both myself and wife are in northern NJ, but are about 60 miles apart hence will have 1.5 hours of commute each way between us (right now 10-20 minutes in MI). So I think $800K will buy us a decent but older home.

Any idea whether moving is a bad idea for a high school freshman in terms of chance of getting into a good university?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin67 View Post
If your job is in Northern NJ (not NYC), I would think you can find a great town to live with less than 1 hour commute one-way for $800K budget. At this time, the market is slower compared to 2 years back. you may get some bargain for purchasing your house.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:15 AM

78 posts, read 400,632 times
Since everyone has different mind set of "a good university", i don't have solid argument for your educational concerns. But i would suggest you look at the website of the local high schools you are interested. some of them even lists the number of students accepted by different colleages.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:54 AM

10 posts, read 50,146 times
I know there are many different neighborhoods ( or subdivisions) in east brunswick, such as Kingswood, Sunrise Landing... Which is considered the best in terms of safety, elementary schools, etc..

Old 07-25-2007, 11:07 AM

I hope we are on the right track: we are thinking of Basking Ridge, which seems to have a lot of housing choices of different price range, as well as rental properties, needed initially. Also eying Mountain Lakes/Boonton Township, but houses are more expensive there, and rental options are very limited. These towns all have good high schools. Chatham/Summit also have good HS but is also expensive and not as accessible to I287, which we need.

I am still like to figure out if the same student in NJ may be at a disadvantage compared with one from mid-west when it comes to applying for a top univ. Any help/perspective appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen8899 View Post
I know there are many different neighborhoods ( or subdivisions) in east brunswick, such as Kingswood, Sunrise Landing... Which is considered the best in terms of safety, elementary schools, etc..

Old 07-25-2007, 02:28 PM

26 posts, read 115,902 times
Default Consider Franklin Township, Somerset, NJ

NJ is no slouch when it comes to education. I live in Somerset (Franklin Township), NJ - moved here from CA a few years back. Check out schools in our area - good website: Franklin Township Public Schools

NJ has statewide assessment which measure academic acheivement.
Check out NJ State Education website - it's a busy site but can provide you with many answers to your question. New Jersey Department of Education

NJ ranks 4th in smartest state: Smartest State 2006-2007

You can also find out theother educational ranking:
Quality Rankings of Education in the Fifty States

Old 07-25-2007, 02:36 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,476 times
If you were from North Dakota you would have a better chance of getting in to a college than if you were from NJ everything else being equal. However, MI vs NJ is close and really a negligible difference. MI is not a "less developed state".

Old 07-25-2007, 02:52 PM

Don't get me wrong: I am not saying NJ is not a smart state! Rather it is too smart a state that a good student from another state may not stand out so much here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomersetLife View Post
NJ is no slouch when it comes to education. I live in Somerset (Franklin Township), NJ - moved here from CA a few years back. Check out schools in our area - good website: Franklin Township Public Schools

NJ has statewide assessment which measure academic acheivement.
Check out NJ State Education website - it's a busy site but can provide you with many answers to your question. New Jersey Department of Education

NJ ranks 4th in smartest state: Smartest State 2006-2007

You can also find out theother educational ranking:
Quality Rankings of Education in the Fifty States

Old 07-25-2007, 02:56 PM

Good to know that.

We do live in a rural part of MI, but I guess that does not count

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
If you were from North Dakota you would have a better chance of getting in to a college than if you were from NJ everything else being equal. However, MI vs NJ is close and really a negligible difference. MI is not a "less developed state".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey