Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:30 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times

Advertisements

Connecticut? you think jersey is expensive? sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM

614 posts, read 1,376,359 times
If you can afford to work in NYC and commute there everyday eat lunch there then you must be making a pretty damn good salary, does the taxes matter that much? Chances are good someone who's got a great paying can live in Ct.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,743 times
Seems like this blog is getting a bunch of activity - Curious if any of you Jersey folks can help me as well. I am considering employment in the Weehawken area, but trying to find a nice place that has walkable downtown (not as crazy as Hoboken), but a few restaurants/neighborhood bar or two, close to Path and within 15/20 min commute to Weehawken. I currently live in Stamford, CT but have a little girl in Greenwich which I get every other weekend. I am 40 year old divorced guy...so, like to go out have fun, but not into the raging college scene these days. I would prefer a townhouse or something of that nature, but a 2/3 bedroom apt with garage parking is fine too...my big issue is storage. Does any nice little town exist in this area, that is fun, but not over the top?

It's just me most of the time and my little girl when I have her on weekends or in the summer...so, schools/daycare, etc on no importance...but a safe area is.

For a benchmark assume 3000 to 3500 in rent.

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 PM

13 posts, read 29,602 times
Secaucus! The door-to-door commute to midtown is under an hour. Really. Great 24hr bus service and there is a train station. The schools are as good as or better than the southern Bergen County schools. Tons of shopping and very low taxes in comparison to other communities. The housing stock is much cheaper than surrounding communities too.

The town is not exactly pretty, but it is neat and tidy. The community is slowly changing, becoming more sophisticated. And maybe, just maybe, with lots of luck we'll get a subway stop!

The town totally needs a name change, though. I suggest Laurel Hill.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:31 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,629,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Looking View Post
Seems like this blog is getting a bunch of activity - Curious if any of you Jersey folks can help me as well. I am considering employment in the Weehawken area, but trying to find a nice place that has walkable downtown (not as crazy as Hoboken), but a few restaurants/neighborhood bar or two, close to Path and within 15/20 min commute to Weehawken. I currently live in Stamford, CT but have a little girl in Greenwich which I get every other weekend. I am 40 year old divorced guy...so, like to go out have fun, but not into the raging college scene these days. I would prefer a townhouse or something of that nature, but a 2/3 bedroom apt with garage parking is fine too...my big issue is storage. Does any nice little town exist in this area, that is fun, but not over the top?

It's just me most of the time and my little girl when I have her on weekends or in the summer...so, schools/daycare, etc on no importance...but a safe area is.

For a benchmark assume 3000 to 3500 in rent.

Thanks for any help.
Downtown Jersey City would fit the bill. On the waterfront u will be close to Path Exchange Place or Grove Street. Plenty of nice restaurants and a commute to Weehawken that should be in your range. Younger than 40 Hoboken is your bet, 40 and older Jersey City(downtown area) would be my choice. I'm in that area most of the week and I would recommend it.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:34 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,423,398 times
I had hopes for Bayonne too several years ago, as it seemed fairly similar to hoboken and jersey city, but I don't think so anymore.nothing bad about it but it just doesn't seem to be happening.
had similar hopes for new brunswick which by all logic SHOULD take off but it just does not.
I would look again at Highland Park which wont necessarily take off since it is already a very nice place to live, and while it is not super cheap, I think you can find good buys there.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 7,121 times
Default JC Heights or Western Slope of JC

Look into some homes in Jersey City Heights or the Western Slope which is west of the Kennedy blvd but still in the Heights section. You can find nice big homes for affordable prices. The area is very family friendly.

I personally like the Central Avenue area of the Heights because it is more of a walkable area than the Western Slope. But the Western Slope is much quieter and is much more family oriented.

Good Luck,

Old 03-27-2011, 03:07 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,898 times
You mention proximity to NYC. There is a massive difference between Hoboken and, let's say, New Brunswick.

That said, a $300k budget is also mentioned. If proximity drives the boat, Bergen and Hudson County is as close as you can get. For $300k you are looking at townhouse, condo, co-op, etc. kind of housing (for a 3BR et al). You can look in areas as vastly different as Fort Lee and Mahwah. I think you really need to look at what's important -- of primary importance. Proximity, driving, mass transit to NYC; shopping, a walkable downtown, city-like living/shopping, a yard, school(s) of course, and so on.

Due diligence is a process and it really is one where you need to be comprehensive, thorough, and so on. It's not a "quick and fast" deal. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:32 PM

912 posts, read 2,447,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
If you can afford to work in NYC and commute there everyday eat lunch there then you must be making a pretty damn good salary, does the taxes matter that much? Chances are good someone who's got a great paying can live in Ct.
This line of thinking is the reason taxes are so high.

The majority of New Jersey residents, including people from the NY metro counties in North Jersey, do not work in NYC.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:22 PM

614 posts, read 1,376,359 times
Not saying all do but too many do IMO. and thats what makes it what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey