Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomove12 View Post
NJ transit is a consistent mess!! The trains always have a delay (I suppose this has everything to do with the 1 tunnel) and it just seems to me that the trains drive extremely slow. I drive alongside them all the time and I'm pretty sure I could drive to these destinations faster.....Which is the exact opposite point of mass transportation is. Also, trains not running on weekends and running once an hour is pretty annoying.

That depends upon where you are. If the trains are running between close stops, of course they are going to be slower. It's not as though a train can speed up and then stop quickly when it has to only a couple of miles away. On the express sections of the trip, they fly pretty fast, and you are certainly not driving next to them at that point because there is no road next to the tracks. I don't think you can whine too loudly about trains running once an hour on non-peak times, as that is some expensive equipment to run just to accommodate a few passengers who can't wait a few minutes for the next train. Once an hour non-peak is pretty good and should be fine for most people. I don't know of any lines that don't run on weekends, except for the Boonton Line.

I agree about the parking situation, but that is up to the towns, not NJ Transit. I lucked out moving near a train station in a town that had non-resident parking permits available, but I know that in some places, like Middletown, the RESIDENT wait list is about eight years long. In those cases, shuttles provided by NJ Transit would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,623 times
Want to improve? How about lowering the fares for one.

Also instead of kissing NYC's behind 24/7 why not focus on transit projects that are beneficial for theirown state? Not everyone has to or wants to go to New York(and certainly Philly), and the sooner they realize that the better.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:40 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,953,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1990 View Post
buses no, trains and rail yes. We need lines that transport people INTO either city. For instance having a line from Paterson TO JC, having a few stops along the way of course, which would help serve those from Bergen county who come to JC. Just one example.
actually the bergen county line already does this. It goes to hoboken near PATH to jersey city!!!! direct from patterson some trains are express!!!!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:41 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Want to improve? How about lowering the fares for one.

Also instead of kissing NYC's behind 24/7 why not focus on transit projects that are beneficial for theirown state? Not everyone has to or wants to go to New York(and certainly Philly), and the sooner they realize that the better.
Well, since they just RAISED the fares 30% less than a year ago, I doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
How does it suck? Let me count the ways. Dirty buses, broken seats, 1/2 hour late with no reason given, AMTRAK controls the tunnels, hot in the summer & cold in the winter, surly drivers, fare increases with no increase in service. You name it.

Probably the most asinine thing when I used to take the 68 bus out of Hoboken is that the last one leaves at 6 pm! Have they ever considered that half the people work to 6 or later nowadays? They're running on 1950s Leave It To Beaver schedules.
thanks for ur input. the 68 I believe should be enhanced even if they have to combine the rte to support it!!!! how should the 68 be improved???

which rtes are 30 mins late often??? should 68 be extended???

Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, since they just RAISED the fares 30% less than a year ago, I doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon.
actually the rail projects indirectly benefit NJ cause many of the rail stations have connecting bus service that goes direct to other places. If they create a croostown focus on the buses they can tie the rail lines together. think about it one from andover can use 2 trains to new brunswick. Instead of an infrequent bus!!!!! I would like to continue getting opinions as this is a great help. I can get a feel for how NJ ppl think and their travel patterns.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:06 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post

which rtes are 30 mins late often???
158 to NY on weekday evenings. I can recall maybe 10 times in the past 4 years that it was on time within 5 minutes. Average is 10 minutes late, that's on a good day. Most of the time it's 20, 40 mins, sometimes an hour or more late. I'll ask the driver occasionally, just to have them literally shrug their shoulders and say nothing.

I can't wait to never set foot on that bus or the merciless hell that is Port Authority Bus Terminal ever again.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
158 to NY on weekday evenings. I can recall maybe 10 times in the past 4 years that it was on time within 5 minutes. Average is 10 minutes late, that's on a good day. Most of the time it's 20, 40 mins, sometimes an hour or more late. I'll ask the driver occasionally, just to have them literally shrug their shoulders and say nothing.

I can't wait to never set foot on that bus or the merciless hell that is Port Authority Bus Terminal ever again.
there is a faster bus called 188 that goes to GWB its not as frequent but lets u bypass the delays. Also you can use 158 to fort lee and use any NY bound bus from the bridge plaza to GWB I do it to avoid port authority very effective too. the 158 isnt ur only option thankfully

Old 04-12-2011, 03:32 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
there is a faster bus called 188 that goes to GWB its not as frequent but lets u bypass the delays. Also you can use 158 to fort lee and use any NY bound bus from the bridge plaza to GWB I do it to avoid port authority very effective too. the 158 isnt ur only option thankfully
Well unfortunately for time, location and financial reasons it is my "best" option. I live in Astoria Queens but work in Edgewater. Taking it up to Fort Lee and then transferring will add more time and money to my commute, same as with the 188. Going to the GWB plaza limits me to just the A train. I could take that down to 125th and get on the M60 but that bus crawls slower than moss grows.

Luckily I've only got a few more weeks left of this grueling reverse commute, the 15 minute drive from Bogota will be much more enjoyable!

That said though, I generally find the trains to be pretty reliable, though I don't take them regularly, friends of mine using them in morning have few good things to say. The HBLR has been a breeze for me anytime I've had to get into Hoboken or Jersey City either after work or weekends though. I'm interested to see where the proposed expansions of that go (perhaps actually into Bergen County?) and how it affects bus use in the areas.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Well unfortunately for time, location and financial reasons it is my "best" option. I live in Astoria Queens but work in Edgewater. Taking it up to Fort Lee and then transferring will add more time and money to my commute, same as with the 188. Going to the GWB plaza limits me to just the A train. I could take that down to 125th and get on the M60 but that bus crawls slower than moss grows.

Luckily I've only got a few more weeks left of this grueling reverse commute, the 15 minute drive from Bogota will be much more enjoyable!

That said though, I generally find the trains to be pretty reliable, though I don't take them regularly, friends of mine using them in morning have few good things to say. The HBLR has been a breeze for me anytime I've had to get into Hoboken or Jersey City either after work or weekends though. I'm interested to see where the proposed expansions of that go (perhaps actually into Bergen County?) and how it affects bus use in the areas.
actually ur best option could be M60 to A train then 188 check its schedule the 188 may work for you better try it its nice here is a link on all transit options in nj http://www.dougandadrienne.info/njbus/indexnnj.html this is a detailed map its very helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey