Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 AM

4 posts, read 5,823 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are an Indian couple with a 1.5 year old kid, both me and my spouse are working. Our office has given us an option to either move in Singapore or New Jersey.
Requesting all to give me inputs on which would be a better place to stay in terms of:
- Housing
- Safety
- Day care
- Commute
- General live-in conditions

Thanks in advance,
Soms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:13 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Singapore absolutely. No contest.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:20 AM

Thanks Bideshi for the response. Pls let me know why you are of this opinion.

Regards,
Soms

Old 04-26-2011, 03:22 AM

I almost don't know where to begin, but I'll just cite the most obvious. There is a considerable crime problem in New Jersey and the public schools are, well, not so great. Singapore is probably the safest place in the world to live and has wonderful schools. It is clean and orderly and everything seems to work as it should. People stand politely in lines without complaint and are courteous. Housing in Singapore is pricey, but good sections of New Jersey will be as high or higher. IMHO your ethnicity will be accepted without question in Singapore which has large numbers of ethnic Indians.
Please don't rely on my post, and do much research before making such an important decision. I have to qualify my advice by admitting that I have never lived in New Jersey, but have worked in Singapore. If I had the means, Singapore would be my choice of residence.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:56 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I almost don't know where to begin, but I'll just cite the most obvious. There is a considerable crime problem in New Jersey and the public schools are, well, not so great. Singapore is probably the safest place in the world to live and has wonderful schools. It is clean and orderly and everything seems to work as it should. People stand politely in lines without complaint and are courteous. Housing in Singapore is pricey, but good sections of New Jersey will be as high or higher. IMHO your ethnicity will be accepted without question in Singapore which has large numbers of ethnic Indians.
Please don't rely on my post, and do much research before making such an important decision. I have to qualify my advice by admitting that I have never lived in New Jersey, but have worked in Singapore. If I had the means, Singapore would be my choice of residence.
Actaully the Schools in NJ are some of the best in the country , where also the most diverse state. Easy access to NYC and Philly both world class cities. People don't care about race in this state. Violent Crime is limited to a few small areas of a few cities.....its not a statewide issue. NJ is pretty clean..., its 20x the size of Singapore....there are many different cities and Suburbs to choose form. Singapore has alot underlying issues that don't appear to intill , you live there , Transportation system is lacking for the countries size , its expensive , crowded and congested. Smog , and Humidity are an issue and the stagnant climate....its like Florida...in terms of weather. The Transportation system is very good in NJ except for some spots in the south.... There is a growing number of Indians in NJ , they are a important part of the NJ economy.... Good Sections of NJ are average Northeastern Prices which is less then Singapore by half. Don't judge my state by its cover or by the News stories , i would hope that someone form singapore would know better then to do that....I guess not. While i'm typing this i'm talking to my Singapore mate , hes telling me even more interesting things that lie beneath the Singapore surface.....

Last edited by DarkWolf; 04-26-2011 at 04:09 AM..

Old 04-26-2011, 04:28 AM

Thanks for the responses...
Yes, need to do so much more research before finalising.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:51 AM

As I said, do the research. You have had two widely differing views from two perspectives. Good luck with your future lives, wherever they may be. Namaskar.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:03 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Did i mention we have mountains and beaches here in NJ....aswell as a number of large state parks...

Old 04-26-2011, 05:24 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,065,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You've never lived here but you write a post like this? Write about Singapore all you want, but please spare us from writing about something which you do not know about.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
You've never lived here but you write a post like this? Write about Singapore all you want, but please spare us from writing about something which you do not know about.
I'm sorry for your apparent lack of reading comprehension. I qualified my response as noted. You are spared. I hope your response will show the poster something about the nature of the people he will encounter in New Jersey. I might add that it's not strictly accurate that I "know nothing about" New Jersey. One way I form impressions about places I've never been is from the people I meet from those places.

Last edited by Bideshi; 04-26-2011 at 05:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: