Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,413,467 times

Advertisements

depending on where your husband would be working if you moved to NJ would be a big factor in the views of NJ you would get. Do you know what town in NJ he would be working in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,939,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I almost don't know where to begin, but I'll just cite the most obvious. There is a considerable crime problem in New Jersey and the public schools are, well, not so great. Singapore is probably the safest place in the world to live and has wonderful schools. It is clean and orderly and everything seems to work as it should. People stand politely in lines without complaint and are courteous. Housing in Singapore is pricey, but good sections of New Jersey will be as high or higher. IMHO your ethnicity will be accepted without question in Singapore which has large numbers of ethnic Indians.
Please don't rely on my post, and do much research before making such an important decision. I have to qualify my advice by admitting that I have never lived in New Jersey, but have worked in Singapore. If I had the means, Singapore would be my choice of residence.
Muh ha ha. You've never even lived in NJ? OP ignore this pompous fool.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,065,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Troll
Yes.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,356,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Some impolite people come from there.

Apparently, they also come from whatever part of the world you hail from.

I could spout all sorts of hearsay information about Singapore that I have gotten second-hand, but it would have the same validity as your statements regarding NJ--a place that you have never visited.

Because my statements about Singapore would likely have no validity, I have not posted them. You might want to consider the same type of policy.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,163,938 times
To the OP - I think you are going to have a hard time getting the response you are looking for. You would really need to find someone who has lived in both New Jersey and Singapore. The chances of running in to that person on a message board is probably not too good.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,705,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
To the OP - I think you are going to have a hard time getting the response you are looking for. You would really need to find someone who has lived in both New Jersey and Singapore. The chances of running in to that person on a message board is probably not too good.
That is my exact thought. My BIL has spent significant time in Singapore, but never lived there. He'd probably be the best person to give a fair compare and contrast, but he's not on these boards, LOL.

To address the poster who said NJ crime is high. In certain cities, yes, the crime can be bad. But you can easily avoid crime by not living there. Outside of those few cities, NJ is one of the safest states in the nation. Crime should not a consideration if you want to move here.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:04 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,665,640 times
Quote:
So government health control is the way to go. Actually I like the price controls.

You don't like traffic in NJ??

Singapore is so much better?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/rscalzo/resize.jpg (broken link)

The orginal question is quite idiotic. It's like comparing a Ford to a apple.

A description from a resident living there... Sounds wonderful..

Quote:
Driving in Singapore

Much debate has been taking place by expatriates about the 'quality' of Singaporean traffic. It is probably safe to say that if you come from a 'western' country, you will find Singaporean traffic mildly frustrating. Singaporeans are generally quite insecure and highly defensive drivers. You will find traffic moves slow, cars don't pull up quickly at traffic lights or when merging into a highway. For some reason unknown to us, there is something very appealing about the fast lane, which is why most drivers will stick to this lane as if their life depended on it, even though they might only drive 60 km/h and are not overtaking anyone. At the same time, don't be surprised if you see someone taking 10 minutes to back their car into a parking spot while at the same time blocking the flow of traffic on the road. Indicators are virtually never used in Singapore, especially by drivers of a Mercedes Benz (must be some sort of unwritten code).
Kiasu-ism
Another frustrating thing about the Singaporean way of driving is the so-called 'Kiasu-ism' displayed by many drivers. Kiasu means 'afraid to loose' and translates itself on the road into a complete lack of courtesy. The average Singaporean driver would rather total his BMW than grant you some space if you want to merge into a highway, or simply switch lanes on the roads. There is a virtual neon flashing 'Me First!' sign on practically every car. It's a bit of a shame this mentality is nowhere to be found when it comes to operating the accelerator paddle. The trick to overcome this is by developing a fair share of kiasu-ism yourself.

The city center of Singapore is a restricted zone. This means that you will have to pay additional road tax to enter this area during working hours from Monday to Friday. Also, some sections of highways are restricted during rush hours. The additional road tax is paid by a system called Electronic Road Pricing, or ERP (so not Everyday Rob People as the occasional taxi driver would have you believe). Every car has an IU, or In-vehicle Unit, which is a device attached to the windscreen and which contains a cashcard. When entering the restricted zone, the ERP gantries will automatically deduct the tax from your cash card. Depending on which time you enter the zone, these charges can be anything from $0.50 to $2.50.
More information about ERP can be found here

Old 04-26-2011, 08:29 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,705,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post

So government health control is the way to go. Actually I like the price controls.

You don't like traffic in NJ??

Singapore is so much better?

The orginal question is quite idiotic. It's like comparing a Ford to a apple.

A description from a resident living there... Sounds wonderful..
how do we even know that's singapore traffic? it's in your personal photobucket.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:39 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,163,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
how do we even know that's singapore traffic? it's in your personal photobucket.
The google says it is true.

singapore traffic - Google Search=

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,065,579 times
I'd rather be Indian in NJ than in Singapore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: