Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 05:43 PM

404 posts, read 585,722 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be a first year grad student next year at the Bloustein School which is located right in downtown New Brunswick. I'm interested in getting a studio apartment for as dirt cheap as possible, but don't even know where to begin looking. I'd love to be able to walk to class butt downtown New Brunswick seemed very yuppieish when I visited so I'm guessing it's pretty expensive. Anyone have any advice for how/where to begin looking? Also, what would be a reasonable price for a cheap studio apartment that isn't in a sketchy neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 AM

Does anyone know anything about the Gardens at Raritan (Chester Circle, New Brunswick)? it seems to be the cheapest I can find.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:07 PM

800 posts, read 1,298,172 times
i remember alot of places behind sears and the other apartment complex on the other side of it from route 18 being under 1,000 a month (3 years ago) the rutgers busses run all year long and dont require an RU id to use. basically if you follow george street and easton ave you are fine in terms of getting around. the further away from the river you get the cheaper it is (a little more "urban" as well). when you say dirt cheap what are range are you in. Also, check out craigslist, since new brunswick is a college town there are alot of people looking for a roommate.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:08 PM

256 posts, read 573,265 times
You should search the Rutgers Off Campus Housing website. I graduated many moons ago so I don't remember it off hand, but that is a good start.

For Bloustein, the cheapest grad-student friendly place would be Highland Park (right over the Albany Street bridge). If you were at Bloustein, you would walk north on George and then make a right on Albany (aka Route 27).

My friend rented an apartment in a little brown brick apartment building right over the bridge and was pay $900 something. It was 1BR and included a parking spot (a really nice perk as you will find out) and walking distance to NB. There are other places in that area. If you're OK with a bus ride, the free RU bus runs along Cedar Lane, and there are some apartment complexes in the 1k range.There are also a decent amount of grad students and professors in Highland Park generally.

The downtown complexes (Highlands, Riverwatch, etc) are going to run 1500+ for a one bedroom.

Your other alternative is to be among the students. You can probably get a 1 bedroom or studio somewhere in the 5th or 6th ward (essentially the area north of Somerset Street, east of Louis, south of Bucculeuch Park, and west of the river). The only downside maybe some noise. There is one complex, Birchwood (IIRC) that is on Louis and Hamilton and may have places in your range. The further west on Hamilton/Somerset, the more questionable the area can become. Just make sure you're on a student block. The areas closest to Easton are usually the safest

I would *not* live in one of the complexes in NB otherwise. My friend had a racoon push through the wall while he was in shower in one of them. You are either downtown or with the students in NB.

Rutgers and New Brunswick are fabulous places and I can't think of a better time to be part of it all...enjoy it! GO KNIGHTS!

Old 04-01-2013, 12:10 PM

Should have also mentioned this...DO NOT live in the area south of New Street (roughly Bloustein) to Commercial Ave...it's not a good area at all.

Feel free to post some streets as you find places. I'm one of many RU alums here so we can give you some good info.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,425,307 times
New Brunswick is FAR from yuppie

Old 04-01-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
New Brunswick is FAR from yuppie
Hmmm, yah, I read a few threads on here about New Brunswick and it sounds like I may have only seen the good parts. I'm from central Maine by way of rustbelt New York so I guess I was just impressed by all the shiny new buildings downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
i remember alot of places behind sears and the other apartment complex on the other side of it from route 18 being under 1,000 a month (3 years ago) the rutgers busses run all year long and dont require an RU id to use. basically if you follow george street and easton ave you are fine in terms of getting around. the further away from the river you get the cheaper it is (a little more "urban" as well). when you say dirt cheap what are range are you in. Also, check out craigslist, since new brunswick is a college town there are alot of people looking for a roommate.
Cool thanks. When I say dirt cheap, I was hoping to get a studio or 1br for under 800 a month. It looks like that may not be possible in this area though so let's say under 1,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnightJet View Post
You should search the Rutgers Off Campus Housing website. I graduated many moons ago so I don't remember it off hand, but that is a good start.

For Bloustein, the cheapest grad-student friendly place would be Highland Park (right over the Albany Street bridge). If you were at Bloustein, you would walk north on George and then make a right on Albany (aka Route 27).

My friend rented an apartment in a little brown brick apartment building right over the bridge and was pay $900 something. It was 1BR and included a parking spot (a really nice perk as you will find out) and walking distance to NB. There are other places in that area. If you're OK with a bus ride, the free RU bus runs along Cedar Lane, and there are some apartment complexes in the 1k range.There are also a decent amount of grad students and professors in Highland Park generally.

The downtown complexes (Highlands, Riverwatch, etc) are going to run 1500+ for a one bedroom.

Your other alternative is to be among the students. You can probably get a 1 bedroom or studio somewhere in the 5th or 6th ward (essentially the area north of Somerset Street, east of Louis, south of Bucculeuch Park, and west of the river). The only downside maybe some noise. There is one complex, Birchwood (IIRC) that is on Louis and Hamilton and may have places in your range. The further west on Hamilton/Somerset, the more questionable the area can become. Just make sure you're on a student block. The areas closest to Easton are usually the safest

I would *not* live in one of the complexes in NB otherwise. My friend had a racoon push through the wall while he was in shower in one of them. You are either downtown or with the students in NB.

Rutgers and New Brunswick are fabulous places and I can't think of a better time to be part of it all...enjoy it! GO KNIGHTS!
Thanks! I'll check out highland park. would living in the student areas be a lot cheaper than living downtown? I'm just worried most of the housing in student areas has already been leased for next year by now.

Also, I notice a lot of people mention taking the bus. Is it difficult to find parking downtown if I'd prefer to drive my own car?

Last edited by Planner15; 04-01-2013 at 01:20 PM..

Old 04-01-2013, 01:53 PM

81 posts, read 184,975 times
Parking downtown sucks. It's also expensive. Use the buses. Student housing is expensive and usually not in the best shape. Stay around the colleges for safe areas. I don't know how that complex on 18 is at the present. A few years ago, it wasn't upmarket.

Use the Rutgers off campus housing site to get a feel for things. I also recommend Highland Park for grad
students. The undergrads tend to be a party hearty crowd. If you have a car, there are several complexes on the north end of town you could check out. They are directly across the river from the above complex. No bus (rutgers) connection though.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:00 PM

The student areas are cheaper than downtown. Parking in NB is expensive and bad, mostly because the city has a really backwards alternate side ordinance.

Also there are plenty of yuppies downtown. The prices- rent, restaurants, drinks- are quite indicative of that. Plenty of people from RU stay on after graduation and plenty of other people move in. It's not Hoboken but it certainly has some great perks for people after graduation as well.

I would say you could get a place under $1100 in Highland Park, maybe a studio for that price in a student area.

New Brunswick is a great city and college town. Without getting too political, let's just say that's where the problems stem. Like any city, it has its bad parts, but they are very easily avoided. South of Albany street, stick to George Street and the surrounding blocks to Joyce Kilmer; south of New, stick to George Street.

I lived in NYC and live in JC now and NB was fine prep for that.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:28 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,425,307 times
New Brunswick is also heavily Hispanic if that matters to you, but you should be able to find something in your budget either in the city or in Highland Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey