Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:32 AM
EB2 EB2 started this thread

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times

Advertisements

all of you who were positive about NJ and gave me suggestions on things to do.

I ended up going from 7/30-8/4 and absolutely loved it (enough that I was even heartbroken when I left!) I plan on moving there (northern NJ) sometime within the next 12 months.

I don't want any negative posts in here - I've read everyone's complaints on the state, and I realize it's not for everyone. I was happier there than anywhere else I've ever been, though (plus I know there are enough people here who DO love NJ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 AM

8,306 posts, read 3,470,281 times
Wish you luck and happiness ! All the best.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmi View Post
Wish you luck and happiness ! All the best.
Thanks!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
this is a breath of fresh air - it was getting a bit stanky here.

best of luck to you, i'm sure no-one will believe me , but i know lots of transplants who absolutely love it here, from florida to NC to TX to OK to AZ, and the taxes are more than worth it.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:19 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Good for you. We moved here about 12 years ago and love it. Best of luck.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 AM

57 posts, read 309,753 times
Going on vacation somewhere and living in a place is really not the same thing. I learned that the hard way when I moved from Brooklyn to Vermont. After 3 years in Vermont trying to fit in, we finally escaped. That being said let me tell you the story of how we ended up in New Jersey.

We were looking in Staten Island for a place to live. Having lived in rural Vermont for 3 years we never could have gone back to Brooklyn. But Staten Island was incredibly crowded and dirty, something we were no longer used to and could not bare. Then my lovely and very unhappy wife spoke to my sister who was living near the shore in Monmouth county who told her “come to Jersey, it’s civilized here”. So we figuring it was better then NY and nothing could be worse then Vermont so we came to Jersey.

Long story short, we love it and plan on being buried here. We are in Ocean County and it’s got the things we were hoping to find but did not find in Vermont but is close enough to the city that people speak our language.

And guess what? It’s civilized here.

Good luck on your move.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Going on vacation somewhere and living in a place is really not the same thing. I learned that the hard way when I moved from Brooklyn to Vermont. After 3 years in Vermont trying to fit in, we finally escaped. That being said let me tell you the story of how we ended up in New Jersey.

We were looking in Staten Island for a place to live. Having lived in rural Vermont for 3 years we never could have gone back to Brooklyn. But Staten Island was incredibly crowded and dirty, something we were no longer used to and could not bare. Then my lovely and very unhappy wife spoke to my sister who was living near the shore in Monmouth county who told her “come to Jersey, it’s civilized here”. So we figuring it was better then NY and nothing could be worse then Vermont so we came to Jersey.

Long story short, we love it and plan on being buried here. We are in Ocean County and it’s got the things we were hoping to find but did not find in Vermont but is close enough to the city that people speak our language.

Good luck on your move.
Oh, I know there is a difference between vacation and living (I used to vacation here in FL before moving here - though I never seemed to like it as much as I do up in NJ.) I actually originally went to look at Montclair State for a transfer, but along with looking at MSU - look at the area.

Thank you. =]

Old 08-06-2007, 12:32 PM

80 posts, read 396,985 times
Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post

Good luck on your move.

Where in Monmouth County did you choose? We are currently living in Brooklyn and are going to be house hunting soon. I heard Hazlet and Middletown were nice. Need to commute to NYC though.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:52 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh428 View Post
Where in Monmouth County did you choose? We are currently living in Brooklyn and are going to be house hunting soon. I heard Hazlet and Middletown were nice. Need to commute to NYC though.
Andy, didn't you get the letter. Monmouth County is officially closed due to the saturation of people that haved moved in from Brookalean and Isthatenisland. I would strongly suggest Middlesex County, Union County, Essex County, Hudson or Bergen Counties. All have great transportation into New Yawk. Good luck to you. Seriously though If your looking into Monmouth County you can spend 150K on a home in Keansburg or multi millions for a home in Colt's Neck. Hazlet, Middletown, Union Beach, Holmdel are all close to the New Jersey rail line. Other towns to the west, Freehold, Manalapan, Marlboro and Colt's Neck to name a few might mean you would be traveling by bus. It boils down to budget and how long of a commute your willing to take. You will find that most of the school systems are pretty good and there is plenty of things for kids to do if you have them. Once again good luck.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:19 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Andy, didn't you get the letter. Monmouth County is officially closed due to the saturation of people that haved moved in from Brookalean and Isthatenisland. I would strongly suggest Middlesex County, Union County, Essex County, Hudson or Bergen Counties. All have great transportation into New Yawk. Good luck to you. Seriously though If your looking into Monmouth County you can spend 150K on a home in Keansburg or multi millions for a home in Colt's Neck. Hazlet, Middletown, Union Beach, Holmdel are all close to the New Jersey rail line. Other towns to the west, Freehold, Manalapan, Marlboro and Colt's Neck to name a few might mean you would be traveling by bus. It boils down to budget and how long of a commute your willing to take. You will find that most of the school systems are pretty good and there is plenty of things for kids to do if you have them. Once again good luck.
Manalapan is in the middle of a reaccessment so taxes may not be what's posted. Check to see if this is current if yoy consider there. The people from Brooklyn were always there, but the Staten Islanders are another breed entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey