Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 9,817 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
I've just moved to Garfield with my girlfriend.

I would like to know.. what we can do in Garfield??
I'm speaking about evenings but also weekends....
We spent some time in the parks, we played bowling at Parkway Lanes, we visited New York, we've been at the Great Falls in Paterson....

For this weekend, we would like to spend a day on a beach, or swimming in some lake near here.
But I don't know where!

Can you help us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,817 times
Anyone from Garfield?

Old 06-11-2011, 06:08 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
Not too far from Garfield is Montclair and Rutherford. Both towns have nice center of towns and some cool night life spots. On the other side of Garfield are the malls, the new Bergen Towne Center in Paramus is pretty nice if you want to do some retail shopping. There is a Whole Foods there too...

Old 06-11-2011, 06:10 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertasso View Post
Anyone from Garfield?

If you want to go to the beach, drive to Point Pleasant. Closest beach and plenty to do to spend a day. Nobody I know in the area goes to a lake unless they are taking out a boat.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:20 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
I can't believe I have lived in Bergen County all my life and not sure where Garfield is ... Sorry ...

Summer: the beach is a great idea, and not so far !! An hour without traffic ... You should buy those magazines, "New Jersey Monthly," "(201) Bergen," and "Edible Jersey". All 3 give you the latest updates on events, festivals, things going on in the county & the state. Keeping you busy all summer long !!

Next weekend is Baymen's Seafood & Music Festival in Tuckerton Seaport, Tuckerton, NJ (June 18th)

15th Annual Garden State Craft Brewers Festival in Battleship, NJ (June 18th).

Old 06-11-2011, 06:24 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I can't believe I have lived in Bergen County all my life and not sure where Garfield is ... Sorry ....
You know where Elmwood Park is?

Old 06-11-2011, 07:21 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I can't believe I have lived in Bergen County all my life and not sure where Garfield is ... Sorry ...

Elmwood Park, Clifton, Lodi area.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:58 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Darlington County Park in Mahwah has a golf course and swimming lake with a beach, docks, area for picnics, diving boards and a food stand. Can get crowded on the weekends but pretty much empty during the week.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:31 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
If you want to go to the beach, drive to Point Pleasant. Closest beach and plenty to do to spend a day. Nobody I know in the area goes to a lake unless they are taking out a boat.
LOL, it's not the closest beach, but it's probably the closest one with all the bells and whistles (boardwalk with games, etc.) that a lot of people want.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:36 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I was actually wondering about the lake thing recently. When we were kids, and even when I was in my 20's, we always swam in lakes. There were a few up Route 23, like Suntan Lake, that were open to anyone, and Shepherd Lake in Ringwood, which I don't think is open anymore. We even went swimming in Maple Lake in Wyckoff, which we used to call Maple Mudhole. You'd encounter the occasional snake or snapping turtle in the water, though.

There is the old reservoir at the top of the mountain trail in Ramapo Reservation in Mahwah. I don't think you are SUPPOSED to swim there, but people do. The water is so cold it feels as if it will stop your heart.

I now live in Monmouth, and recently I wondered if there were any lakes left in central Jersey that were open to swimming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey