Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:19 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times

Advertisements

Thanks! I have a feeling I'm going to start a blog about the house once its in my name... I have some interesting ideas using stuff I can get from work to play around with; I think the general idea is...

If a home were built in that style, with furniture and decor in a style appropriate for the house, but done today - what modern amenities would they have?

Right now, I'm thinking about distributed video to all rooms, a background music system, rs232 controllable lighting system with wireless control capabilities (rf perhaps?), and any elements of being "green" I can add in - but keeping the style. I was thinking about trying to find some furniture from the late 1700's through mid-1800's in need of some attention, refinishing, new upholstery, etc, etc. I've got way too many projects in mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 12:00 PM

Quick update...

Got my approval today! Now I just need to get the title info set, and I can set my closing date, make arrangements with my homeowner's insurance, etc.

In addition, we went back to the seller for a credit on the roof, and got the full asked-for price! The way things are being set up (as I understand it, I need to talk with my lawyer again to make sure I have this right) is that the seller will issue a cash credit at close. So, out of the money being put up for the house, my closing costs will be paid, along with the adjustments for all, paid taxes, etc. The remainder is being applied as cash downpayment on the home, I only have to maintain 3% of the total price as downpayment from my pocket, and the remainder will end up coming back to me. Seems overly complicated, but works for me!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:42 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Amazing when people say that you can't find anything decent for $175,000 in NJ. I guess we have it good here in NE PA. You can own very nice houses that don't need any work, in nice stable neighborhoods with a good sized yard for much less than $175,000.

I don't know how anyone affords living in Jersey without making a six figure salary at the very least.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:04 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Amazing when people say that you can't find anything decent for $175,000 in NJ. I guess we have it good here in NE PA. You can own very nice houses that don't need any work, in nice stable neighborhoods with a good sized yard for much less than $175,000.

I don't know how anyone affords living in Jersey without making a six figure salary at the very least.

Sure you can all depends on what you want for $175. Ours in Burlington County is close to $225; there's a 3 bedroom 1 bath up the street from me that was supposed to go for sheriffs sale last week for under $150

Old 09-26-2007, 06:35 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
A family of 4 needs just about that to live comfortably, take a yearly vacation, and not get into debt. Sad really. I don't know what average people do who can't get a hefty down payment from their parents. CuCullin was lucky and has a lot of work to do, but it'll be worth it.
And yes, please start a blog and post some pics. I'm sure a lot of people here will be interested.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Quick update...

Got my approval today! Now I just need to get the title info set, and I can set my closing date, make arrangements with my homeowner's insurance, etc.

In addition, we went back to the seller for a credit on the roof, and got the full asked-for price! The way things are being set up (as I understand it, I need to talk with my lawyer again to make sure I have this right) is that the seller will issue a cash credit at close. So, out of the money being put up for the house, my closing costs will be paid, along with the adjustments for all, paid taxes, etc. The remainder is being applied as cash downpayment on the home, I only have to maintain 3% of the total price as downpayment from my pocket, and the remainder will end up coming back to me. Seems overly complicated, but works for me!
great! glad to hear things are going smoothly so far!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:52 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Quick update...

Congrats! It's such a load off when you finally get that approval letter in your hand eh? Keep us updated - I would love to see pics as you go.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Congrats! It's such a load off when you finally get that approval letter in your hand eh? Keep us updated - I would love to see pics as you go.
Its definitely a big relief... now its more the little things; the title, having the seller get the CO (seller's responsibility in the contract), then I can set my closing date and get my homeowner's insurance

Old 09-27-2007, 05:39 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Here is some totally unsolicited advice....If you can, pay for everything directly as you go, as in not at closing. You will save money paying the appraiser, Title Company, survey company etc directly rather than through your lawyer. We just bought another house a couple of weeks ago and the title bill was $250 less than (lawyer paperwork fee) that it would have been if we paid at closing. We paid the appraiser $450 but the cost was $600 on the closing statement (they forgot to take it off). I called around many many survey places to find the least expensive one and saved $100 or so that way. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Here is some totally unsolicited advice....If you can, pay for everything directly as you go, as in not at closing. You will save money paying the appraiser, Title Company, survey company etc directly rather than through your lawyer. We just bought another house a couple of weeks ago and the title bill was $250 less than (lawyer paperwork fee) that it would have been if we paid at closing. We paid the appraiser $450 but the cost was $600 on the closing statement (they forgot to take it off). I called around many many survey places to find the least expensive one and saved $100 or so that way. Good luck!
Definitely good to know for the future...

I certainly lucked out on this one though The lawyer is a friend of the family, so I'm paying the cost of the title work, and I managed to get myself a no fee mortgage (no appraisal fees, no loan origination fees, no app fees, not even PMI ).

However, I'm hoping to (along with my brother, who already has his condo) pick up a 2-family as an investment property - I will definitely keep that in mind for then, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey