Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:07 AM

105 posts, read 203,416 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 looking for a job. Where are some places to check out where I could meet people (girls) my age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 07:19 AM

205 posts, read 692,850 times
I'm not in your age range, but Jersey City and Hoboken seem to be the predominant stomping grounds of NJ young professionals.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:47 AM

576 posts, read 1,596,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilycharm View Post
I'm not in your age range, but Jersey City and Hoboken seem to be the predominant stomping grounds of NJ young professionals.
No, just Hoboken. JC and Hoboken need to stop being lumped together. Just because they are close does not make them similar. DOWNTOWN JC the only part of JC that maybe you could consider similar is mostly older transplants.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:06 AM

205 posts, read 692,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
No, just Hoboken. JC and Hoboken need to stop being lumped together. Just because they are close does not make them similar. DOWNTOWN JC the only part of JC that maybe you could consider similar is mostly older transplants.
You seem like you know more about the area than I do. I just know several young singles and couples that live in JC, but maybe they all live in the area that you are referring to. My knowledge of JC and Hoboken is only from other people, not from personal experience.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 AM

576 posts, read 1,596,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilycharm View Post
You seem like you know more about the area than I do. I just know several young singles and couples that live in JC, but maybe they all live in the area that you are referring to. My knowledge of JC and Hoboken is only from other people, not from personal experience.
I didn't mean to jump down your throat. I just can't stand when Jersey City gets grouped with Hoboken. Two totally different places.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,561 times
Hoboken is good place. Some parts of downtown JC but for most part, JC isn't where you are going to meet girls of your age easily. Aside from that, if you are near enough, why not venture out into NYC. Tough to be NYC dating scene.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:10 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,978,324 times
4X4 - just glanced at some prior posts and not sure what's important to you: place to meet girls? garage to work on cars? place with a yard? something on/near a lake?

Folks here have lots of great info, but you may need to clarify a bit more.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,748 times
Hoboken ideally, or better yet NYC. You'll also find people (although less concentrated) in JC, near Rutgers, and on the Boulevard East along the coast. Furthermore, there are many scattered among the suburbs within commuting distance, but, those communities are less geographical in nature and more social networks of people who grew up in suburban Jersey and came back to live/work after college that you realistically won't be able to find/break into.

I would not suggest coming here to look for a job. It's not the worst economy in the nation, but, it is certainly not healthy either. If you have no roots, no jobs, and no connections, you would be better off in DC, Boston, Texas, or the Midwest purely from a job-hunting perspective.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:47 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,006 times
I lived in downtown Jersey City for many years. It's nothing like Hoboken. There is no "scene" in JC, rather just a few randomly dispersed bars/restaurants. You're much more likely to meet people in Hoboken. JC is an older crowd (late 20's/early 30's on up) than Hoboken.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:49 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post

I would not suggest coming here to look for a job. It's not the worst economy in the nation, but, it is certainly not healthy either. If you have no roots, no jobs, and no connections, you would be better off in DC, Boston, Texas, or the Midwest purely from a job-hunting perspective.
I would not recommend Boston. There are so many colleges/universities in that area that it is very competitive trying to find a job there. I know people who have tried with little success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey