Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:23 AM

9 posts, read 32,792 times

Advertisements

I just saw a house with a furnace in the attic for the whole house. This house was very small and then it was totally rebuilt and made bigger keeping the existing foundation. Would it make sense to have the furnace in the attic for a house like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 11:32 AM

453 posts, read 1,741,781 times
A "furnace" usually means a hot air system. Our shore bungalow has that. We had to replace an old hot water baseboard unit in a downstairs closet and decided to put a hot air unit in the attic with a new central air conditioning coil.

I think if we lived there year round, I would have kept (replaced) the baseboard boiler, but this allows us to easily winterize the house without draining the heating system, and allows for quick re-start in the spring.

If you're talking a boiler in the attic, I wouldn't be keen on that at all.

Rhys

Old 08-23-2011, 11:33 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Are we talking about a 1-story house or a 2-story? Is there a basement that the furnace could have been located in instead?

Putting the furnace in an unconditioned attic isn't the ideal scenario (especially if it's a central AC unit as well), but it's not all that unusual either.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 AM

This is a 2 story large house. There is a basement. I was looking for it in the basement and then was told it is in the attic. There were 2 separate zones. There were 2 separate units in the attic.

Do you think the builder took a shortcut by putting the furnace in the attic.

Last edited by homebuyer12; 08-23-2011 at 12:29 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 12:29 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,753,371 times
My house is on a slab (no basement) and to make more living space on the first floor, they put the HVAC system in the attic. Horrible placement if you ask me. I would have MUCH rather given up a couple closets and smaller 1/2 bath on the first floor for an "Equipment room" if I designed it.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
My house is on a slab (no basement) and to make more living space on the first floor, they put the HVAC system in the attic. Horrible placement if you ask me. I would have MUCH rather given up a couple closets and smaller 1/2 bath on the first floor for an "Equipment room" if I designed it.
Why do you say it is horrible? I thought it only needed to be serviced twice year (once in winter and once in spring)

Old 08-23-2011, 12:50 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuyer12 View Post

Do you think the builder took a shortcut by putting the furnace in the attic.
Actually, I think they took the harder route. Why run ductwork all the way from the attic down to the first floor when you could have run it in the basement far easier? The only thing they may have saved on what the gas line, but they had to create chases down through the second floor, so they spent any savings on those.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Actually, I think they took the harder route. Why run ductwork all the way from the attic down to the first floor when you could have run it in the basement far easier? The only thing they may have saved on what the gas line, but they had to create chases down through the second floor, so they spent any savings on those.
thank you for the reply. With the furnace in the attic for the first floor, will it still be able to heat the first floor properly or do you think it would it be more likely the first floor will be cold.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:35 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,753,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuyer12 View Post
Why do you say it is horrible? I thought it only needed to be serviced twice year (once in winter and once in spring)
AFAIK all newer HVAC systems only have to be "serviced" twice a year (Aside from filter changes)

The reason I think its dumb is the attic is not insulated and considered a cold/hot zone. So it has to work that much harder to overcome the cold/heat to keep the house at a constant temp.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
AFAIK all newer HVAC systems only have to be "serviced" twice a year (Aside from filter changes)

The reason I think its dumb is the attic is not insulated and considered a cold/hot zone. So it has to work that much harder to overcome the cold/heat to keep the house at a constant temp.
is your first floor harder to heat? is it colder. do you need to run the temperature higher to heat the 1st floor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey