Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:30 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
BTW, if you live in the Jersey Suburbs along the turnpike or Parkway corridor and you're not 5 minutes from a Supermarket and basic shopping needs, you're doing something very wrong.
Yes that pretty much defeats the purpose of being "conveniently" located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 04:13 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
If you are going to get technical yes I agree. North and South Brunswick are roughly equivalent. Same area. Plainsboro I would say is like a higher-end version of both.
I have to be honest - North Brunswick to me is a little "rougher" and not as affluent as South Brunswick. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still a nice town, but not as nice as South Brunswick.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:58 PM

12 posts, read 22,323 times
Thanks guys =) I've looked into some apartment complexes in Plainsboro, they seem nice. However they told me I need to make at least 4 times the rent in order to be approved, which isn't possible considering when my Fiance and I first move there, it'll just be him working as I have to go through all my application processes in order to be allowed to work. So, it seems apartment complexes may be out. We may look into decent apartments that are privately owned (main floor of a house, small buildings, etc) as they don't seem to want to run credit checks or need you to make 4 times the amount of rent. My Fiance has very little credit as he is ony 22 and has no credit cards (our personal choice) and my credit means no good in the states as I have only built my credit in Canada.

So that's kind of a bummer. I really liked a lot of the apartment complexes and buildings in Plainsboro.

Do you guys have any input on Rutherford? They seem to have a good amount of well priced apartments (personally owned more than complexes) and have heard good things.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:36 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Rutherford is a good place to live. Seems to be a very popular town for young married couples

Old 09-02-2011, 06:21 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,527 times
I'd say stick with the more populated areas of Bergen county or New Brunswick

Consider:
Egdewater, cliffside park, fairview, englewood, englewood cliffs, Hackensack, Teaneck, Rutherford, Ridgefield, ridgefield park

maybe rahway

I've lived in northern bergen county my wholle life so I'm as scared as anybody else in terms of crime, but I may be moving to Hackensack soon and I find it sufficient - that is I may be moving soon, and I've decided on Hackensack because of the mix of both affordability and relative safety

also consider that you can trade safety for size at any one price by being in one area vs. another. Also consider thatthe more you wait, the more stuff you haven't seen before becomes available. New Jersey's an old place, so there's lots of different stuff here and there. I've seen some crazy places being a realtor for a few years

there are some co-ops in fort lee and rutherford where you can really get bang for your buck but the downside is the board has to approve you and I think can kick you out after your lease if they don't like you

Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,527 times
that is, those co-ops do have some apts for rent

Old 09-03-2011, 09:01 PM

12 posts, read 22,323 times
Any input on Clifton? A friend recommended it to me. He said it was a bit more urban-ish and there's a lot of stuff around.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:00 AM

27 posts, read 59,863 times
Rutherford has a nice downtown.
I've had friends who lived in Weehawken and Union City and they liked it. They are urban and usually less expensive than Hoboken or Jersey City.
You mentioned you had family near Freehold...you could try Asbury Park(east of main st.)which has a really cool downtown. If you wanted to try something down the shore you may be able to get a winter rental inexpensively and see if you like the area.

On a side note....I understand not wanting credit cards, but they are a necessary evil. I would get at least one each, use it once a month and pay it off at the end of the month. Building a credit history is very important.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 969 times
"secaucus = i'm not sure what it costs to live here but would never consider it unless you like living underwater i would avoid this place at any cost because most of it is in a flood zone."
Cerveza,
How ironic that your message is dated 4 days after Hurricaine Irene flooded the entire east coast. Where do you get your information that most of Secaucus is in a flood zone? I've lived here my entire life and never had a drop of water enter my house from a storm. Same goes for all my neighbors and my family located across town. There definitely are areas that get water in a hurricaine, as there are in most towns in the country, but if you don't know what you are talking about, please don't offer an opinion.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:54 PM

112 posts, read 328,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieCl View Post
"secaucus = i'm not sure what it costs to live here but would never consider it unless you like living underwater i would avoid this place at any cost because most of it is in a flood zone."
Cerveza,
How ironic that your message is dated 4 days after Hurricaine Irene flooded the entire east coast. Where do you get your information that most of Secaucus is in a flood zone? I've lived here my entire life and never had a drop of water enter my house from a storm. Same goes for all my neighbors and my family located across town. There definitely are areas that get water in a hurricaine, as there are in most towns in the country, but if you don't know what you are talking about, please don't offer an opinion.
you're kidding right?

you do realize that people in secaucus had to be rescued via BOAT due to the flooding right?

Hudson Reporter - Some Secaucus residents rescued by boat as Hackensack River overflows

while i'm not sure if it's technically considered a flood zone per se.......

As long as i can remember, every time there was a big thunderstorm, houses in secaucus would be flooded and you'd hear about it on the news.

I dont know if it has to do with the fact that secaucus is only 10ft above sea level, or the fact that it's surrounded by a river and the meadowlands, or if it has something wrong with drainage systems, all i know is that I've always heard of flooding in secaucus, anybody in hudson county can tell you that.

if you still dont believe me then read do a search for the word secaucus on this detailed report which shows several instances of flooding all over the town

http://www.njmeadowlands.gov/eg/floo...ent%20Plan.pdf

page 176 is a real eye-opener

Last edited by cerveza; 09-08-2011 at 12:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey