Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:20 AM

32 posts, read 113,594 times

Advertisements

I live in Middletown and commute to Piscataway everyday. I have flexible hours so leave at 9:30 Am morning and take parkway ( no traffic at all) and then 287 ( no traffic). At evening i leave at 6 PM. still little traffic on 287 to parkway exit. Try to avoid traffic on parkway and 287 on rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 10:35 AM

222 posts, read 1,026,152 times
Agree with previous posters on parkway, to 287, to turnpike exit 9. You could skip 287 by just going parkway to turnpike also, this puts you at exit 11. Its further as the crow flies but sometimes faster during rush hour.

Also, depending on where exactly the job is (close to ryders lane or close to route 1), you could sneak thru route 18 and the back of douglass college campus to get to and from the turnpike.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:29 AM

23 posts, read 96,236 times
Thanks again to everyone

Can someone tell me what are the hours that make up rush hour in this part of the state??? If he does the Parkway to 287 to the Turnpike (Middletown to NB) what times should be avoided???

My husband will be working at the Bristol-Myers Squibb facility adjacent to Cook and Douglass campuses. If anyone has any experience with driving into this section of NB I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks, lookingforahouse! You have given me a glimmer of hope!

Old 08-17-2007, 06:54 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kercar View Post
Thanks for all the helpful answers! For anyone who's familiar with this commute, what would be the best times for him to leave to beat the rush??? Some of the other towns we are looking at are Marlboro, Manalapan/Englishtown, and Hazlet. Are any of these better choices for commuting into NB??? Thanks in advance
You should Leave early in the Morning like my husband did from Manalapan. He left at 5:30 am got to work in 55 min.
Now home was another story, took 2 hours or more leaving @5pm.
He commuted by bus.
When buying in Manalapan/ Englishtown, make sure the taxes are the new ones with the Reaccessment. Its occuring this year. Some I know are getting $3000 or more increases.
I happen to know after I left last July, 3 more neighbors sold this year, At Lower prices.

Diane

Old 08-17-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
You should Leave early in the Morning like my husband did from Manalapan. He left at 5:30 am got to work in 55 min.
Now home was another story, took 2 hours or more leaving @5pm.
He commuted by bus.
When buying in Manalapan/ Englishtown, make sure the taxes are the new ones with the Reaccessment. Its occuring this year. Some I know are getting $3000 or more increases.
I happen to know after I left last July, 3 more neighbors sold this year, At Lower prices.

Diane
Diane,

Thanks for the heads up about the taxes! Where was your husband commuting to from Manalapan that took 55 minutes??? Thanks

Old 08-18-2007, 07:56 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kercar View Post
We're looking in the 500-550K price range so we might be cutting it a little close for Marlboro. Middletown is my top choice so far. We looked at some beautiful neighborhoods. I'm just not sure about the commute to NB. Hubby's looking for something under 50 minutes.

Thanks again for all the advice
You can get houses that are less than that in Marlboro. New ones may be $600,000 are more but there are plenty of developments within that range. When I bought in Manalapan, Marboro was neck in neck with price but the one I bought had more property, 1 1.4 acres.
they are both next to each other, so same comute. I lived there 13 years so know what I'm talking about.

http://www.weichert.com/search/reale...4&minba=2&pg=5

Link to Houses under $600,000, Quite a few listings. Prices there have been going down but the realtor won't tell you that. I happen to have friends in that business, so know.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:37 AM

What is considered 'rush hour' in this area??? GSP, TurnPike, 287 (Middletown to NB)??? Thanks

Old 08-20-2007, 06:47 AM

687 posts, read 3,252,140 times
Basically from 6:30-8:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey