Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:10 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good post. Yes, I've been reading about food deserts lately. Where I am, I have about three supermarkets within a five-minute drive, plus farm stands about ten minutes away, plus a Trader Joe's two minutes away and a Whole Foods ten minutes away....everything is so close by.
ive been meaning to check out that trader joes. i believe they also opened up a qdoba across from it. maybe i can have some qdoba then check out trader joes to do some research.

shoprite is my #1 place but its great being here and having access to so many choices.

i see they are working on a closed restaurant thats on 35 a little past south of shoprite. im excited to see what they are making of it. i think that was the japanese place. maybe steak and ale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 11:42 AM

88,672 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ive been meaning to check out that trader joes. i believe they also opened up a qdoba across from it. maybe i can have some qdoba then check out trader joes to do some research.

shoprite is my #1 place but its great being here and having access to so many choices.

i see they are working on a closed restaurant thats on 35 a little past south of shoprite. im excited to see what they are making of it. i think that was the japanese place. maybe steak and ale.
Yes, there is a Qdoba there. I've never eaten in it, though. I'm not that big on Mexican, but a few weeks ago my daughter wanted Mexican for her birthday and we went to Senor Peppers in Red Bank. Little place, but the food was pretty good.

I thought of you this week. I've been on jury duty and so have to go to Freehold. Coming back on 537 Thursday there was some jerk in a jeep right on my tail, and I wasn't going slow at all, so I did the CaptainNJ break check thing. Hehehe. He backed off pretty quick.

My favorite snack is usually chips and salsa, and Trader Joe's carries different types of salsa, like pineapple and mango. Maybe I'll go get some from there later.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, there is a Qdoba there. I've never eaten in it, though. I'm not that big on Mexican, but a few weeks ago my daughter wanted Mexican for her birthday and we went to Senor Peppers in Red Bank. Little place, but the food was pretty good.

I thought of you this week. I've been on jury duty and so have to go to Freehold. Coming back on 537 Thursday there was some jerk in a jeep right on my tail, and I wasn't going slow at all, so I did the CaptainNJ break check thing. Hehehe. He backed off pretty quick.

My favorite snack is usually chips and salsa, and Trader Joe's carries different types of salsa, like pineapple and mango. Maybe I'll go get some from there later.
haha wasnt it the best feeling in the world? i dont have a lot of guilty pleasures these days, so thats one of the few i have and im not giving it up!

i love mexican food (along with pretty much every other type of food). qdoba is pretty good for its class. closest one until the shrewsbury one opened was in the short hills mall. i love different types of salsa, especially with fruit. i think fruit should be used much more in entrees. whats more naturally delicious than fruit? baja fresh usually has a handful of salsas including a fruit one. there used to be one on 35, now its a 5 guys, ive yet to visit a 5 guys.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:19 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,079,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
More on FOOD DESERTS:

Food Desert Locator

The pink highlighted blobs indicate areas that are food deserts.

A MILE away from a big grocery store? If that isn't more FUD not much is.

People eat out because it is easier, they don't think about the fact it can cost ten times(on average two or three) as much to eat out than cook at home.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:28 PM

88,672 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
haha wasnt it the best feeling in the world? i dont have a lot of guilty pleasures these days, so thats one of the few i have and im not giving it up!

i love mexican food (along with pretty much every other type of food). qdoba is pretty good for its class. closest one until the shrewsbury one opened was in the short hills mall. i love different types of salsa, especially with fruit. i think fruit should be used much more in entrees. whats more naturally delicious than fruit? baja fresh usually has a handful of salsas including a fruit one. there used to be one on 35, now its a 5 guys, ive yet to visit a 5 guys.
I never even heard of a 5 Guys until I was on City-Data one day and people were arguing over who had the best burger. A few people mentioned this place 5 guys and I wondered if it was some regional thing in another part of the country. THAT DAY I drove up 35 and passed a 5 guys, in or near Red Bank (maybe it's Shrewsbury there). I have never tried it, though.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:50 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,970,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
A MILE away from a big grocery store? If that isn't more FUD not much is.

People eat out because it is easier, they don't think about the fact it can cost ten times(on average two or three) as much to eat out than cook at home.
What's FUD?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:04 PM

296 posts, read 638,972 times
i THink it was red bank. like i said there was a movie theater, a funeral home, the chinese buffet and some other stores what seemed to be out in the middle of nowhere. course it was dark and i was unfamiliar with the area. but it was somewhere near there. some help right? they now have commercials with obese kids asking why they are fat, with "stop sugarcoating it georgia". where i live theres 8 grocery stores within a 25 mile radius...give or take mileage. seems it all comes down to laziness/easier to hop into car type thing. and the scary part is some people dont bother dressing decent. ive seen some girls with ripped shirts that dont cover their bellies wearing slippers at our local longhorn. pjs are common daytime clothes. i'm gonna cry...give me a minute.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:50 PM

248 posts, read 535,963 times
I think you have it all wrong. I grew up in NJ also lived in FL and PA. People in NJ love to go out to eat!

Old 09-10-2011, 02:47 PM

19,147 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashford View Post
seems it all comes down to laziness/easier to hop into car type thing. and the scary part is some people dont bother dressing decent. ive seen some girls with ripped shirts that dont cover their bellies wearing slippers at our local longhorn. pjs are common daytime clothes. i'm gonna cry...give me a minute.
That phenomenon is--sadly--very widespread nowadays!

If you want to see photos of some overweight, lazy folks from your neck of the woods--as well as from virtually every other state--just take a look at the photos on the People of Wal-Mart website. Some of the people pictured there almost defy description, due to the bizarre, inappropriate, and often too-small clothing that they are wearing in public.

Feast your eyes on:
Funny Pictures at WalMart Photos

Old 09-10-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I never even heard of a 5 Guys until I was on City-Data one day and people were arguing over who had the best burger. A few people mentioned this place 5 guys and I wondered if it was some regional thing in another part of the country. THAT DAY I drove up 35 and passed a 5 guys, in or near Red Bank (maybe it's Shrewsbury there). I have never tried it, though.
they started growing like weeds a little while back. i even saw one in aruba when i was there in january. im not a big hamburger fan and neither is my wife, so its never really an option for us. that one you drove by must be the one where baja fresh used to be. i like baja fresh plus they give great coupons. last time i was there i got 1 meal free plus 1 kids meal free. i was a very happy guy.

i just stopped by trader joes. it was interesting. looks a lot like the top tomato that was here in holmdel for a brief time before they closed. pretty busy which is annoying for me as i have some lady on my butt while we were looking at the frozen foods. we ended up getting some mochi and macaroons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey