Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times

Advertisements

I want to share my reverence and emotions for the victims of 9/11, their loved ones, the fallen soldiers and their loved ones, our heroes the firemen and others who quickly put their life on the line to be of service. I get angry on 9/11 when I think about this could happend so easily and I have my doubts about the story and 10 years later I'm just as angry seeing what has happend to this country and the world in 10 years but I feel peace at the same time and I hope people study this day and events that happend afterward and remember that it could happend again but whatever happends I'll always love America and people not for their origin or political party but for them as human beings. And when disaster strikes in the future I will stand up and run my mouth and be all about action and hold my ground because that's my right and our will is good.

I was a freshman in highschool on 9/11, shortly after homeroom me and a few guys were roaming the halls and a teacher walked by us and said world war 3 has started. We didn't know what he was getting at but he seemed serious. Shortly after that in class the loud-speaker came on and our principle told us something about what happend, I don't remember if he told us exactly what happend. It wasn't until I got home from school at 4pm when I saw on the tv the reruns of the WTC falling. People were angry and ready for war. Now that has cooled down and I hope these things can be prevented in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 09:52 AM

153 posts, read 377,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post

I was a freshman in highschool on 9/11, shortly after homeroom me and a few guys were roaming the halls and a teacher walked by us and said world war 3 has started. We didn't know what he was getting at but he seemed serious. Shortly after that in class the loud-speaker came on and our principle told us something about what happend, I don't remember if he told us exactly what happend. It wasn't until I got home from school at 4pm when I saw on the tv the reruns of the WTC falling. People were angry and ready for war. Now that has cooled down and I hope these things can be prevented in the future.
I had just started 5th grade, they told everyone in the cafeteria at lunch what had happened...A few people had been called to the office before that to go home earlier, I didn't really know what was going on.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:56 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Over the years I had been on the roof and upper floors many times to work on various TV and NYPD antennas and would often climb the towers and at other times just hang out on the very edge of the roof and admire the spectacular view back down to Mother Earth. As fate would have it I switched jobs earlier that year and everyone else was out of town on another project that day. Another long time friend of mine worked at one of the TV stations on the 110th floor and quit weeks before. I was like "You quit a union job watching TV?" After 9/11 there was no need to discuss that anymore. Just fate.

One site I found this morning that brought back a lot of memories is this rotatable panorama of being up on the roof:
World Trade Center Twin Towers

This one is the adjacent corner:

Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 AM

And I tip my hat to all my other friends and human family who never came back that day. America salutes all.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:22 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Thanks for providing the link.
60+ years in NYC area and never made it to the WTC. I have some video I took from a Bi Plane as we passed below the top but I have no idea how to post it. Taken with a VHS camera about 20 years ago.

We lost two neighbors in the attack. It was a sad day.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post

One site I found this morning that brought back a lot of memories is this rotatable panorama of being up on the roof:

This one is the adjacent corner:
Wait...the top wasn't closed in, or they didn't have any sort of fence?

Old 09-11-2011, 12:03 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
I don't think anyone will ever forget where they were and what they were doing that awful day.

In awe I watched those towers being built and in horror I watched them come down.

That said the media needs to control themselves, I for one do not need to see a replay of the planes crashing into them nor of their collapse in print or video. The survivors of all the victims need to heal and move on with their lives....between the overplay of the media around the date of 9/11 each year, all the dam bickering of what should or should not go at the memorial I don't know how they can move ahead...they will never forget their loved ones and don't need graphic images all over the media this time of year..... you just start to move on & heal a bit and there it is again....just my two cents worth

I did not have my TV on today because even 10 years later I can not watch with out being reduced to crying..I can only imagine the survivors.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZM91 View Post
Wait...the top wasn't closed in, or they didn't have any sort of fence?
The top was how you see it in the panoramic displays. Rotate it by dragging your mouse sideways.
The next floor down was enclosed, there was a walkway for tourists along the roof of the South tower. North tower had the bigger higher power TV mast limiting how much time you could spend up there. Engineers could walk around the roof fairly much unrestricted once you got past all the hurdles.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
The top was how you see it in the panoramic displays. Rotate it by dragging your mouse sideways.
The next floor down was enclosed, there was a walkway for tourists along the roof of the South tower. North tower had the bigger higher power TV mast limiting how much time you could spend up there. Engineers could walk around the roof fairly much unrestricted once you got past all the hurdles.
Oh ok, I missed the higher fence on the floor below.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i remember i was starting my senior year in college. i was in a court building in washington dc dealing with my underage drinking charge. they evacuated the building and i saw some stuff on the tv there. it was pretty chaotic in the streets. we heard the sonic boom of jets and certain people started screaming and breaking down on the sidewalks. i didnt want to use the subway so i walked from the court building back to my dorm. i had to take a big detour because they closed off a large area around the white house.

it was a day i will never forget, with or without memorials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey