Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:10 PM

402 posts, read 752,323 times

Advertisements

I would love for all this to happen, but we live in NJ. This aint going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 08:41 AM

271 posts, read 417,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey08057 View Post
I would love for all this to happen, but we live in NJ. This aint going to happen.
to annex all you need is a petition of 10 percent of effected towns population to have it placed on ballots ...

Old 04-13-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
There are several examples around the country of cities and counties merging but keeping separate names. For example, Jacksonville, FL - Duval County.

Another interesting approach is to merge the city government and the county government, but allow municipalities to stay independent within that county. This is the case in Marion County, IN (Indianapolis). So for example, the people of Weehawken would get most of their services from Jersey City (Hudson County) and be allowed to vote in JC elections, but it would technically still be a separate municipality that provides some of its own services (perhaps police or public works). This might be a more politically palatable consolidation than full blown mergers. The best part is, the population of the municipalities that remain separate would still be counted as part of JC's total population, since Hudson County as a whole would by default be Jersey City. I think it's a good compromise all around.

check this link: Unigov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this is progress

Old 01-26-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Newark population: 280,000
Irvington: 61,000
East Orange: 64,000
Orange: 30,000
West Orange: 45,000
South Orange: 16,000
Maplewood (not an Orange, but wouldn't really make sense not to include it): 24,000

Tell me who is going to be running things once such a merger is done? Put all the other municipalities together and they're still not as populous as Newark, so the answer is Newark politicians are still running things. Put all the poor ones together and they're WAY more populous than the other three, so you get the western suburbs sucked dry to support the rest. And when the money runs out, you have the City of Newark, maybe with a "showcase" downtown, surrounded by an even larger decaying area like much of Newark, E.O and Irvington today.
add in bloomfield bellvelle Harrison Kearny Montclair Nutley and the fact the lower income blacks have low voter turnout and youll have more corporations looking to move downtown, lower taxes for wealthy neighborhoods , more parks and services for inner city residents and hopefully better transit...

make it a boro of a larger passic , Hudson , lower Bergen annex and we become one of the biggest cities in the country at 3 million with one of "whats considered to be the best " school systems, lower taxes and housing stock at all price ranges from fairmount to fairlawn

Old 01-26-2014, 01:21 PM

882 posts, read 1,671,190 times
I don't see Jersey City and Newark merging...they're not particularly close together or cohesive geographically, and historically oriented in different directions. However, I would love to see Jersey City annex the Gold Coast and Newark annex the Oranges, Maplewood, Irvington, Bloomfield, Kearny, Harrison, Montclair, and the other towns in that area. You'd have two cities of over a half million at least, with numerous affluent areas and lower income areas. More public transit is needed. At least an enlarged Jersey City would have the HBLR, but Newark still has only the one subway line and whatever NJ Transit heavy rail trains that pass through the region. A light rail web linking the various neighborhoods of Greater Newark would help build a much better city.

I was reading an article a few days ago about the possible relocation of a baseball team to Portland, which has an urban population of about 500,000, while St. Louis has a population in the 300's. If either of our major cities incorporated more widely, they'd easily rank in the top 30. When it comes to cities in NJ, thinking small and readily accepting being in New York's shadow has left us with second tier cities.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:54 PM

402 posts, read 752,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
I don't see Jersey City and Newark merging...they're not particularly close together or cohesive geographically, and historically oriented in different directions. However, I would love to see Jersey City annex the Gold Coast and Newark annex the Oranges, Maplewood, Irvington, Bloomfield, Kearny, Harrison, Montclair, and the other towns in that area. You'd have two cities of over a half million at least, with numerous affluent areas and lower income areas. More public transit is needed. At least an enlarged Jersey City would have the HBLR, but Newark still has only the one subway line and whatever NJ Transit heavy rail trains that pass through the region. A light rail web linking the various neighborhoods of Greater Newark would help build a much better city.

I was reading an article a few days ago about the possible relocation of a baseball team to Portland, which has an urban population of about 500,000, while St. Louis has a population in the 300's. If either of our major cities incorporated more widely, they'd easily rank in the top 30. When it comes to cities in NJ, thinking small and readily accepting being in New York's shadow has left us with second tier cities.
Exactly. I would like to see a two borough system of Hudson and Essex county. That would at least give jersey a city comparable to Philly.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:57 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Yeah, not going to happen. Newark's annexing days are over, much to the relief of those in the Oranges, Maplewood, Bloomfied, Kearny, Harrison, Montclair, and the other towns in that area (not sure about Irvington).

Old 01-27-2014, 08:48 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,664 times
There are other ways to go about this. Indianapolis and Louisville have consolidated city and county governments. However, both cities/counties still have existing municipalities within them that provide some municipal functions. So essentially the suburban areas get the benefit of being both in the big city while being in a smaller town. Something like this might work if eastern Essex County split and became "Newark County," with towns that want to maintaining some of their own services (trash, police, etc).

Newark had two major league teams (still two if you count Harrison right next door), two NFL teams close by, one of the busiest airports and one of the busiest seaports. The skyline is decent too. As a south jersey guy with no bias towards or against Newark, I find it incredible how poorly the city is marketed by the state of NJ. It should by all rights be the 5th city of the northeast, not Baltimore.

Last edited by soug; 01-27-2014 at 08:56 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 11:58 PM

225 posts, read 352,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
There are other ways to go about this. Indianapolis and Louisville have consolidated city and county governments. However, both cities/counties still have existing municipalities within them that provide some municipal functions. So essentially the suburban areas get the benefit of being both in the big city while being in a smaller town. Something like this might work if eastern Essex County split and became "Newark County," with towns that want to maintaining some of their own services (trash, police, etc).

Newark had two major league teams (still two if you count Harrison right next door), two NFL teams close by, one of the busiest airports and one of the busiest seaports. The skyline is decent too. As a south jersey guy with no bias towards or against Newark, I find it incredible how poorly the city is marketed by the state of NJ. It should by all rights be the 5th city of the northeast, not Baltimore.
Well to be fair, Newark, even at its height, was never as large as Baltimore. That being said you are right, Newark has many underlying assets that have been underutilized for decades. As I have said before though, slowly but surely, more people are starting to recognize these assets and take advantage of them, which is why there is a growing sense that Newark is on the rebound.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:06 PM

622 posts, read 949,679 times
I would like to see New York City annexing Hudson, Bergen, Passaic, Essex and Union counties as boroughs. Plus maybe Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester and Fairfield could join NYC too. It would be better for 1 government around NYC rather than have about 300 governments govern over the NYC metro area. The expanded NYC would have multiple skylines, lots of beaches in the southeast, mountains in the northwest and the big city life in the middle and the suburban life around Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey