Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 AM

293 posts, read 720,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
Not everyone is a troll if they disagree. It sounds very uneducated to say that. This poster has a point.

I agree a hundred percent with your statement that not everyone is a troll if they disagree. However, I do disagree in that it may sound undeducated to say that. The fact that our political correctnes has become too radicalized, it disaproves things that are obvious. Sometimes truth hurts or it is just flatout ugly. But you can't block the sunlight with your thumb. Not you personally, but figuratively speaking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 AM

293 posts, read 720,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'm sorry, but our poverty is often trivial compared to third world country poverty. not that people in the u.s. in poverty don't have it hard...but the areas the OP is talking about...the people live in an actual structure, built into the ground. that's already light years ahead of virtually all third world country poverty.

It is actually not so trivial! I have seen things that are so culturally inherent from these countries. We even have a terminology for that "Mentality of poverty or Marginal mindset" There are places in Paterson or Perth Amboy where people have absolutely nothing. Most of these people are illegal aliens (Hispanics) and Afro-Caribbeans. There is a section called Bergenline which is by the Husdon river....same thing. But then again, we can agree to disagree.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:07 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,876 times
I HAVE been in third world countries and can tell you that parts of NJ is far worse.
Let me reiterate, PARTS cause some parts of NJ is beautiful.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:10 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
and i'm not just talking about some of the bad neighborhoods in newark, irvington, elizabeth, camden, trenton etc.

over the summertime, my mom and me were driving to some place outside of wayne or paterson for something. we were driving past the same area in paterson over this bridge on the passaic river, i think, right by those two high rises. (you may have seen on the news of that area because it's currently flooded over) we drove up the hill to the supposed suburbian area and i thought i was in jamaica all over again. the houses, the yards, the roads seemed run down and this isn't a poor neighborhood either. i was kind of creeped out for a second. it looked no different than the countryside of jamaica. in fact, the houses on the hill in that suburb looked like cheap slum housing compared to the houses on the countryside in jamaica.
is Jamaica considered a third world county?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:12 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
I HAVE been in third world countries and can tell you that parts of NJ is far worse.
Let me reiterate, PARTS cause some parts of NJ is beautiful.
the worst parts of NJ are worse than the worst parts of the 3rd world countries you've been to?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:41 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
In Third World countries, the disparity in living conditions between rich and poor tends to be even greater than in developed countries. Thus, you can see fabulous mansions, even in Third World countries, and there is also a semblance of a Middle-Class population in those countries, with an adequate standard of living. However, the fact remains that the vast majority of people in Third World countries subsist on an incredibly small amount of money annually, and these folks live in conditions that most of us would consider to be barbaric.

With the exception of the small number of very wealthy people and middle-class folks, a very large proportion of people in Third World countries live in dirt-floor huts made from materials that are not durable, have no running water, no sewage system, no electricity (or, at least no consistent electrical supply), and may even have goats, chickens, pigs, etc living in their dirt-floor huts with the family.

If anyone tells us that parts of NJ are worse than what can be seen in a Third World country, we need to know which parts of NJ feature homes that have dirt floors, no running water, no sewage system, no electricity, and typically have barnyard animals living in those homes. And, no, I am not including areas that had problems with water, sewage, or utilities following our recent storms. I am talking about homes in NJ that do not have these conveniences and have never had them.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:14 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In Third World countries, the disparity in living conditions between rich and poor tends to be even greater than in developed countries. Thus, you can see fabulous mansions, even in Third World countries, and there is also a semblance of a Middle-Class population in those countries, with an adequate standard of living. However, the fact remains that the vast majority of people in Third World countries subsist on an incredibly small amount of money annually, and these folks live in conditions that most of us would consider to be barbaric.

With the exception of the small number of very wealthy people and middle-class folks, a very large proportion of people in Third World countries live in dirt-floor huts made from materials that are not durable, have no running water, no sewage system, no electricity (or, at least no consistent electrical supply), and may even have goats, chickens, pigs, etc living in their dirt-floor huts with the family.

If anyone tells us that parts of NJ are worse than what can be seen in a Third World country, we need to know which parts of NJ feature homes that have dirt floors, no running water, no sewage system, no electricity, and typically have barnyard animals living in those homes. And, no, I am not including areas that had problems with water, sewage, or utilities following our recent storms. I am talking about homes in NJ that do not have these conveniences and have never had them.
You mean like the Tent City in Lakewood.

Welcome to Americas new expanded class of poor.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...h-151-percent/

Old 09-13-2011, 01:13 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
It is actually not so trivial! I have seen things that are so culturally inherent from these countries. We even have a terminology for that "Mentality of poverty or Marginal mindset" There are places in Paterson or Perth Amboy where people have absolutely nothing. Most of these people are illegal aliens (Hispanics) and Afro-Caribbeans. There is a section called Bergenline which is by the Husdon river....same thing. But then again, we can agree to disagree.
well, if we're referring to homeless, then i agree. but the area OP talks about, it's decrepid homes that are not well maintained, but they are still better than living in haiti under some branches and that being considered a dwelling....

Old 09-13-2011, 01:15 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
i agree. by no means is this saying that they got it good, as some people try to claim that our poor have great lives for poor people...but, it's not comparable to third world situations

Old 09-13-2011, 04:02 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
After some of the places I've seen in South Asia, I think there are very few places in this country that even qualify for the term "slum."

On the other hand, I've been to places in the countries of South Asia that make the nicest parts of America look pretty beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey