Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:54 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I usually leave my car doors open, the stuff that is usually in there is less valuable than the cost and aggravation of repairing a window. If you are unlucky enough to have a thief target your car, chances are they are getting regardless of if you locked your door, that's just me.
Hmmmm... I don't know about that. Maybe if there is someone in particular who has it out for you or if someone knows of something specific inside your car that is worth stealing then you will be targeted. But I'm imagining that most car thiefs just target a specific parking lot or street and see what is easy pickings. Why bother with non-descript car A that is locked and has an alarm when non-descript car B has the windows wide open and the doors unlocked?

Now if you leave your fancy GPS in the mount, $20 in the cup holder and a purse on the back seat then sure you are no longer non-descript, now your a sure thing so why not break the window?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 11:57 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
All I'm saying is that I know there is nothing in my car worth stealing and I'd rather not have somebody break a window just to find that out. ...but usually, when thieves see a 94' Lexus they just stay away on their own.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:45 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,502 times
I leave my car doors open too. I have to get up at 4:30am to leave for work and fumbling in the dark with keys when all kinds of skunks and racoons are lurking is annoying. One time I left my car on the street overnight and someone, probably teens, got into my car and ramsacked it. I bet they felt stupid when they couldn't find anything to steal, and my car is so old and beat up nobody would want it, so they just left it with all my glove compartment stuff thrown around.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:27 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
All I'm saying is that I know there is nothing in my car worth stealing and I'd rather not have somebody break a window just to find that out. ...but usually, when thieves see a 94' Lexus they just stay away on their own.
Ha, good point. I don't keep anything worth stealing in my car either, unless they REALLY want the cassette adapter so I can play my iPod (man radio sucks...). But I will always lock it, no matter what and no matter where.

A friend of mine visited his parents in Old Tappan, a seemingly crime free up scale town, and had his locked Jeep Wrangler broken into in their driveway. Must have been looking for his GSP (he had it inside, but the holder leaves a mark on the windshield) or really wanted smell those empty White Castle bags. No problems parking it on his block in Harlem though! Just saying that it can and does happen anywhere.

And even if nothing of value is inside to get stolen, just the thought of someone, a stranger, thief, all around shiesty person being in my car, it feels violating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: