Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times

Advertisements

For years, I have driven past a large, abandoned home on the southern end of Jersey Avenue, very close to the intersection with Orchard Street. This house appears to be of '60s or perhaps '70s vintage, and was probably fairly expensive to build because of its stone construction, even if its design seems to be tacky and tasteless at this point.

Anyway--Does anyone know the story behind this house?
It would appear that someone must be paying property taxes on this house, since it has been standing, vacant, for...a very long time. I'm sure that nobody would want to build another home there at this point because Jersey Ave is solely commercial, but clearly the land does have some value, and it appears to sit on a fairly big piece of property.

Does anyone know who built it and lived in it?
How long has it been vacant?
Why has it not been demolished?
There must be a story here, I suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 09:08 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,532 times
You talking about this building right

jersey ave and orchid st new brunswick nj - Google Maps

Always looked commercial to me

Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Yeah, there is a history to the place. I just can't remember it at the moment. I'll check with a friend of mine and post back when I get more info.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:21 AM

98 posts, read 268,953 times
I know it used to be animal shelter back in the early-to late 80's. Been abandoned for at least 20 years.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Yeah I wish they would do something with that building. I think I do remember it being an animal shelter but I was very little when it closed.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
You talking about this building right

jersey ave and orchid st new brunswick nj - Google Maps

Always looked commercial to me
Yes, that is the one. As to whether it was originally commercial--I don't know.
To me, it looks more like the wretched excess of someone who had a lot of money, little taste, and not enough sense to avoid building a home in a commercial area. But, then again, it might have been medical offices or something of that nature originally. The place sort of fascinates me, simply because it has sat vacant for so long. Clearly, someone is paying the property tax. But--why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
Yeah, there is a history to the place. I just can't remember it at the moment. I'll check with a friend of mine and post back when I get more info.
Thanks! That would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler77 View Post
I know it used to be animal shelter back in the early-to late 80's. Been abandoned for at least 20 years.
Interesting!
However, I am pretty confident that it didn't start out as an animal shelter. That building was not cheap to erect, so its use as an animal shelter must have come later, after its original purpose--whatever that might have been.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:59 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
I drive by that building everyday (on the way to Jersey Ave station) and often wonder what it is/was. Good question!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:29 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
I drive by that building everyday (on the way to Jersey Ave station) and often wonder what it is/was. Good question!
same, I always figured it was an abandoned dentist/doctors office.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:54 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
If you have the address you can look it up.

NJ Assessment Records Search

Old 10-03-2011, 05:01 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Thanks for your patience.

My friend finally had a chance to get back to me.

Apparently the place was built by a real eccentric type of person. My friend does not know the name, but the guy apparently loved having a big lawn in front of his place and liked his peace and quiet. Weird with today's roads right in front, but back in the 1950's when the place was built (c. 1950's), Route 1 was "only" what we see as the Northbound side and Jersey Avenue actually came out onto Route 1 by the old Coca-Cola Bottling Plant which is on the Southbound side just below what's left of the mall where the old PathMark used to be.

In the basement there is apparently a full three lane bowling alley and what today could be called a media room with a projection system just like you would find in the old movie houses.

I had not heard of it being used an animal shelter, though I do know the North Brunswick Animal Shelter was somewhere around that part of North Brunswick. IIRC, it may have been over where the current Verizon store is located, but I cannot say that with certainty.

Anyway, the property is unique. When I have time, I'm going to touch base with the tax assessor's office in North Brunswick just to see what other information may be available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey