Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:39 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,477,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone65 View Post
I actually could not wait to get out of TX. It is a barren wasteland, in more ways than one. It lacks character. Just one shopping mall after another frequented by over cooked, bleached blondes with boob jobs.
Umm and NJ is not? Only difference is that it may have more 'character'.It def does have more 'characterS' that's for certain

Old 09-01-2007, 10:55 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,369,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Aha! That would very well explain it. But what the poster is not taking into account is that her situation is very unique...or that there might be reasons other than salary that one from the northeast might just not want to live in TN:

* Maybe the person doesn't want to live in a "red" state.
* Maybe the person doesn't want to live in a redneck state.
* Perhaps the person never quite got the hang of country line dancing.
* Perhaps that's because he never wanted to.
* Maybe the person has children and wish to remain in a state that ranks Number Four nationally for education, v. one that ranks Number Thirty.
* It could be that he knows that after the first year, hearing the accent will make him wish to drive an ice pick into each ear to pierce the eardrum. (Although I'm sure southerners would say the very same about northeasterners.)

I'm being a smart*ss but really...Diane, if your intent, as you stated above, is to inform people/help them with relocation, it would behoove you to casually mention the fact that your $100K salary is in drastic contrast to the state average of $38K, for one. I won't go into the rest because now this IS going seriously off-topic and it's my fault. But I mean really. Okay, maybe TN is for some people. But to represent it as the magic state where employment is easy to obtain as pie and incomes can run $100K is just not realistic and goes directly against the stated intent of helping people. And bringing one's own relocated state into any and every thread, no matter the original topic, just smacks to me of someone who isn't so sure of her own decision.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming! A curse: No. Bad things happening and looking for a reason: very, very, very natural. There is also something to be said for having such a bad/homesick feeling against a place that you do draw in negative experiences, as some posters have said. I'll bet that's why I'm having more troubles in SoCal than I should. But I don't feel it's due to a curse.
NJ Average Salary and this is a Copy and Paste-New Jersey...................... 44,320
Now , just think of the buying power. In Murfreesboro, TN you can still buy a brand new house for under $200k, size about 2000sq feet.Taxes about $1200 a yr.

Just an example of a Job that doesn't pay that much, Customer Service, in Murfreesboro it pays about $14 an hour, which is the same you make in NJ, but think, In NJ with that Job you need a 1 Bedroom Apt, you must pay at least $900 if you don't want to be in the Getto. Its posible to rent a 1 bedroom in Murfreesboro by the University at $339 . a month.
You can buy houses for under $100,000 even in the state. Taxes are the lowest in the US, so money goes furthur.
As you know not everyone makes $100k or more. That usually requires a college degree and years of experience. Same is true in NJ. Yes,there are people that make more, but Nashville is not what you think. Williamson County which is in Nashville area (Brentwood, Franklin, Etc) is one of the richest counties in the US.Williamson County (http://donsmith.com/william.htm - broken link)
Williamson County now ranks in the top 15 wealthiest counties in the United States, according to a 2005 U.S. Census Bureau survey that measures economic data in the nation’s largest counties. -Copy and Paste

Red State- I am a Republican, and could you believe our Governor is democratic but he takes no salary , because he is so rich.
At least our state is not in Debt and run by corrup politicians.
Go to South Jersey and in some areas people sound like Hillbillys. You only need to go south of 195 for that.
Line dancing? You got to be kidding.
I guess you have not seen all the huge homes here. There are Homes in the Millions.
Pictures of Alan Jackson's House, Bus and Garage
Pretty, isn't it. Its in Franklin, TN which is about 15 min from me.
Don't you think the other Country stars have big Homes? Most live in either Brentwood, Franklin or Nashville.
The University had a Bomb scare this week and I'm thinking it was someone here. The threat was from 7 schools in the country. Princeton and Carnagie Melon were on the list. I mean no connection between a state school and Ivy league colleges, IMO, it sounds to random. I think someone from NJ could have pulled this because my daughters HS in NJ had 1 a week. Also , other schools in Freehold Regional District including Marlboro, Colts Neck, Howell, Freehold Township, Freehold Boro, Manalapan
It just never happens here. Sounds like a NJ prank.
To get back to the curse, NJ is one major curse. Driving is impossible and tailgating is a pastime of people in North Jersey. Also there are more toll booths per sq mile, none here!

Old 09-01-2007, 11:03 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
NJ Average Salary and this is a Copy and Paste-New Jersey...................... 44,320
Copied and pasted from what? Or should I say, from when? 1988?

New Jersey 56,772
Tennessee 38,550

Copy and paste. From 2004...four years ago...it surely has gone up from there so I'm left scratching my head here on your numbers.

By the way...that ranks NJ income at Number Two nationwide...and Tennessee at Number Forty.

Here is the link (http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/income04/statemhi.html - broken link)...from the National Census Bureau.

And...you mention a job that would pay $14/hour in both NJ and TN? Again, interesting...considering how much drastically lower median incomes are in TN than NJ. ETA: Oh! Here's your Mumsfreeboro job in NJ: associate customer service representative Salaries in Westwood, NJ 07675 - Free Salary Search (I'm no mathematical prodigy but I don't think that divvies up into $14/hour.) But you were right. It IS only $14/hour in TN: associate customer service representative Salaries in Tennessee - Free Salary Search

One last time, Diane. Who is it you're trying to convince? And...why? The motive is obviously not in educating people relocating from NJ to TN, since you are giving completely erroneous information from top to bottom, it seems. So what is the motive? Isn't this something you want to sit down and think about? Or is this the erroneous information you gave your children to convince them to move with you, and so you're hoping like heck it's right? (It isn't.) I just don't think giving out bad information is helping anybody...so I have to draw the conclusion that you're doing the "well, if other people start agree I'm right, then I must be right" thing. Sadly...there's just no way we can eventually believe you're right...because even the numbers don't bear out your assertions. I'm sorry. It's just not flying.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-02-2007 at 12:30 AM..

Old 09-01-2007, 11:08 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,192,726 times
Diane, I really think you still feel a strong attachment for NJ, otherwise you would not be continually posting here.

I may have only lived in Nevada for 8 years since leaving NY (not as long as you lived in NJ), but they were significant ones. However, my family left Nevada by choice and I rarely check out their forums, and have probably only submitted 2 or 3 posts. We left Nevada for a reason, and I don't feel the need to keep abreast on that state's posts. Now living in Florida, I rarely visit those forums either because I know my time here is not long, so why invest any time venting or complaining about my current situation? We make our own beds!

I do, however, regularly check out the NY forums because I, like you, will always be a NY'er. I am also a regular visitor to the NJ forums since we are contemplating moving there.

I'm sorry to say that your constant NJ bashing and TN glorifying gets a bit tiresome after a while. While you're probably a nice person, you've been coming off as a bitter hag. Let it be!

Cherie

Old 09-02-2007, 07:08 AM

168 posts, read 500,388 times
Default Tx

Originally Posted by tbone65
I actually could not wait to get out of TX. It is a barren wasteland, in more ways than one. It lacks character. Just one shopping mall after another frequented by over cooked, bleached blondes with boob jobs.
Umm and NJ is not? Only difference is that it may have more 'character'.It def does have more 'characterS' that's for certain

I could not disagree more. By reading some of your posts, I can understand your dislike of where you are today. But, lets not compare NJ to TX. They could not be more different, in almost every way.
Just so let people know, not everything about TX is bad. Housing is inexpensive. Tons of restaurants and shopping. Unfortunately, not much of anything else.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:50 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,369,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
Diane, I really think you still feel a strong attachment for NJ, otherwise you would not be continually posting here.

I may have only lived in Nevada for 8 years since leaving NY (not as long as you lived in NJ), but they were significant ones. However, my family left Nevada by choice and I rarely check out their forums, and have probably only submitted 2 or 3 posts. We left Nevada for a reason, and I don't feel the need to keep abreast on that state's posts. Now living in Florida, I rarely visit those forums either because I know my time here is not long, so why invest any time venting or complaining about my current situation? We make our own beds!

I do, however, regularly check out the NY forums because I, like you, will always be a NY'er. I am also a regular visitor to the NJ forums since we are contemplating moving there.

I'm sorry to say that your constant NJ bashing and TN glorifying gets a bit tiresome after a while. While you're probably a nice person, you've been coming off as a bitter hag. Let it be!

Cherie
Cherie, NJ almost killed us. I need to vent. I can't get over how Horible the last 3 years were there and I still have my son living there. He needs help paying the outlandish Auto Insurance which I pay, and I also pay a small portion of his rent. Yes, he will be moving here but not until Sept. 09 when he gets married. That is why he did not follow us now.
I also have to go to his wedding there.
The town where we lived, Manalapan, and also the town next to use with simular housing, demographics, pricing, Marlboro allowed the builder to put underground oil storage tanks for heating. I heard from the Company that did my Remediation-http://www.lewcorp.com/about.htm that North Jersey is full of them also. It took time, my life passed, to get the permits from town, and clean it up. During this time I lost 3 close family members.Luckly, the Insurance paid a big part, but I had to replace the deck and Landscaping. My son did a Student internship at Disney and I came home to a huge water tank on my front lawn, a ports potty, that was there all winter. When it was cleaned up we looked for ways to leave NJ, until my husband was able to get the transfer. We could not stay in that house,even after it was all ok, and we did not trust buying anything but new construction in the state and we were iffy on that. Why? Because half the builders there build shotty constuction today. My insurance company told me that they had some cases where the sellers switched to gas from oil and left the leaky tank in the ground. The insurance company was not responsible because they insured a gas heat house and not an oil one.Their sellers ran off to India so they were stuck with a house that had over $200,000 worth of remediation to do.
Don't move there, move to LI if you have to, Taxes in NJ are getting higher than LI. Also, there are water problems in NJ, that caused my husband to have skin problems there that finally were ok here.
Btw, A friend of mine moved from NJ to Vegas and she's glad she left NJ.
I once in a while visit the LI boards where I lived most of my life, but never post anything unfavorable.
Diane
Diane

Old 09-02-2007, 08:16 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,505 times
You have got to be joking. You are actually telling people to move to Long Island now?

Long Island is worse off than NJ in many categories.
Another thing-Dems in the south are very different than Dems in other parts of the U.S.-this has always been true. Republicans are to the right when compared to almost anywhere else. If you are a conservative Republican-the northeast is probably the worst place to live. Even worse then living on the west coast. This may be part of the reason TN is getting such a favorable review.

(if anyone is reading this from out of the NY area)- If you are moving to NYC area and want to live in NY state- the best areas are north of the city.
Most def not Long Island!!!!!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:29 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,192,726 times
Quote:
The town where we lived, Manalapan, and also the town next to use with simular housing, demographics, pricing, Marlboro allowed the builder to put underground oil storage tanks for heating. I heard from the Company that did my Remediation-http://www.lewcorp.com/about.htm that North Jersey is full of them also. It took time, my life passed, to get the permits from town, and clean it up. During this time I lost 3 close family members.

We could not stay in that house,even after it was all ok, and we did not trust buying anything but new construction in the state and we were iffy on that. Why? Because half the builders there build shotty constuction today.

Btw, A friend of mine moved from NJ to Vegas and she's glad she left NJ.

Diane,

1. I'm sorry you lost 3 family members, but exactly how did NJ contribute to their deaths?

2. There is a general lack of quality in a lot of new home construction throughout the country...this is not isolated to NJ.

3. Your friend is glad she left NJ, but you didn't state how she really feels about Vegas. Also, is she raising young children? Everybody's wants and needs are different.

I'm not trying to get into a p***ing match with you, but please stop beating a dead horse.

Cherie

Old 09-02-2007, 08:33 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,908,834 times
Default LOL-Agree

Old 09-02-2007, 09:36 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,477,696 times
Quote:
Cherie, NJ almost killed us. I need to vent.
I hear ya,I had a couple nervous breakdowns from living there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey