Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:03 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by restore View Post
Has anyone tried parking in the large parking lot for BJ's/ShopRite on a regular basis?

It's about a 15 minute walk from the Grove St. PATH Station.
So you want to park in the shoprite lot illegally because you don't want to pay for parking. sure go ahead, and BTW what is your plate #.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 11:48 AM

14 posts, read 82,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
So you want to park in the shoprite lot illegally because you don't want to pay for parking. sure go ahead, and BTW what is your plate #.
Exactly. My plate number is ABCDEF, make sure to run it with the NJ database though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You can drive to the Tonnelle Ave Park and Ride and use the LRT to go to Marin Boulevard or Jersey Avenue which are near grove street in Historic Downtown.
Appears to be the best option. Literally a 15 minute drive from my house, and then a 20 minute ride on the Light Rail to Harborside.

Will be trying this out tomorrow! THANKS!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:03 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Exactly. My plate number is ABCDEF, make sure to run it with the NJ database though.

Appears to be the best option. Literally a 15 minute drive from my house, and then a 20 minute ride on the Light Rail to Harborside.

Will be trying this out tomorrow! THANKS!
Another option is on-street parking. Non-residents can apply for a parking permit that allows them to park on streets for $300/year (must show proof of JC employment). Your permit will apply to a specific zone. The JC Parking Authority website has information and the application form: The Jersey City Parking Authority

You can look up the address of your workplace to find the corresponding zone, or use this map, posted on the NewYorksSixth blog (I'm surprised the JCPA doesn't have a map of zones on its website): New Yorks Sixth PhotoBlog: Jersey City Parking Zone Map

The big drawback about on-street parking is that you still must abide by parking rules (feed meters if you park at them, move for street cleaning when indicated on signs, etc.), and it's subject to availability. I'll send you a PM regarding a possibility for off-street parking.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 AM

16 posts, read 71,908 times
Bay is correct. The towing company watches people to see if the person that parks starts walking anywhere else but into Shoprite/BJs. Once you are out of sight they tow your car. Technically they are not supposed to do that. Shoprite/BJ's is supposed to call the towing company and have cars towed. But these towing companies see big bucks and people pay. These corrupt practices had been on the news a few months back.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:32 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
The towing company that skulks around that lot is notorious for their predatory towing practices.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:16 PM

14 posts, read 82,171 times
Thanks for the responses.

I ended up driving to the Tonnelle Ave station today. Took me 20 minutes in traffic. Then another 20 minutes on the Light Rail to my destination.

Very easy trip and cost-efficient. I found my commuting solution .

Old 11-02-2011, 05:31 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
The towing company that skulks around that lot is notorious for their predatory towing practices.
Indeed. Fox 5 did a story featuring predatory towing at Metro Plaza last year.
Interesting piece: Towing Companies Target Drivers (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_jersey/towing-companies-target-drivers-new-jersey-20101216 - broken link)

Old 11-02-2011, 10:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

I ended up driving to the Tonnelle Ave station today. Took me 20 minutes in traffic. Then another 20 minutes on the Light Rail to my destination.

Very easy trip and cost-efficient. I found my commuting solution .
Just so you know, there are monthly passes available to cut down on the cost. Instead of paying $2.10 per trip for the light rail, you can buy a monthly pass for $64, and I think parking is $30 or $40 per month.

If there's bad weather, instead of walking from Marin Blvd, you can take the #43, #80, #81, #82, or #82 bus from the Exchange Place station to Grove Street. Just flash your light rail pass and you're good to go.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:23 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
amazing that people would park on private property that's for shoppers and justify it as not being "nickel and dimed" by NJ. i wonder who the companies they work for nickel and dime.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:26 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Indeed. Fox 5 did a story featuring predatory towing at Metro Plaza last year.
Interesting piece: Towing Companies Target Drivers (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_jersey/towing-companies-target-drivers-new-jersey-20101216 - broken link)
if i read correctly, all the victims of "predatory" towing left the parking lot to do something at neighboring businesses, which is specifically what you can get towed for. i shopped in that plaza for 6 years on a regular basis and never once got towed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey