Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 03:31 PM

223 posts, read 795,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikanakala View Post
Geez, are you even listening at all, or did you just come here to argue some random point? The choice is made, there is no more deciding. Please post somewhere else where people want to hear all the gloom and doom, and be miserable about their future. I'd like to stick to things that will cheer me up about moving my family and my life to a completely unfamiliar part of the country. I don't need to hear your negative viewpoint anymore, and I'm done arguing about this.

you will feel right at home in New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 10:49 PM

223 posts, read 795,977 times
you pro-jersey folks in this thread who insist on lowering my reputation score because i respectfully disagreed with you, note that i did the same to yours.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:03 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLane View Post
you pro-jersey folks in this thread who insist on lowering my reputation score because i respectfully disagreed with you, note that i did the same to yours.

(removed in order not to get OT; mod contacted; Jimmy, please DM me with any further personal issues.)

Last edited by JerZ; 09-17-2007 at 12:12 AM..

Old 09-17-2007, 12:12 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,739 times
That entire issue is just a complete waste of time and way off topic. Points have nothing to do with the topic.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys! We're leaving tomorrow for a little over a week "up north" to hopefully find a house to rent somewhere in Bergen County. We're also bringing a dog, so that's made our rental search a little more difficult. I'm excited because I hear that fall is beginning in New Jersey! We never get fall down here, the trees are green all year (I'm in south Texas!) so I really can't wait. I've actually been trying to push our move up a week or two so we can enjoy the month of October up there, which some posters have gotten me really excited about! Of course, I'm driving my husband and me both crazy in the process. Yes, I'm worried a little about the homesickness since we have absolutely no friends or family up there, but hopefully we'll meet people quickly. And I think we'll definitely be investing in a GPS system because I'll go crazy if I'm stuck in the house and I don't have the greatest sense of direction. I hear the roads are a lot different from what we're used to! Is that true or just another southern myth about the north? I've heard a lot of them lately...every time I tell someone we're moving to New Jersey!
Okay, this is going to sound extremely silly, but...Google a webcam if you want to see how far "into fall" the area is. I look at one from Assumption Academy in Emerson once in a while just to watch the seasons change. There are like a gajillion of them out there.

YES, it is true, what they say about confusing streets. I hate to say it, but it's true. So that GPS could come in handy for you guys, at least at first. The thing about roads in certain parts of NJ is that they don't necessarily follow a direct north-south or east-west grid. They meander and sometimes they change names as they veer in a slightly different direction. You won't get lost, though. There will always be a gas station or whatever along the way to ask people. But I wanted to chime in that yep, that part is true.

You'll find your "main arteries" and will always be able to find your way back from them. Obvious ones in your area would be Rte. 17 and Rte. 4, the Garden State Parkway, and main roads like Grand Ave. and Kinderkamack. You'll do fine once you get used to the area and once you generally know what direction you need to be in to get back--one way or another you'll hit one of those main drags and then you're home free.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:15 PM

90 posts, read 362,116 times
We're here in New Jersey right now, and I'm falling in love! It is beautiful and the weather is AMAZING. And the pizzerias.... We went to look at rent houses today and found a couple that we could live in but are holding out for one that just feels right. We're in love with Ridgewood but there's not much in the way of rent houses in our price range there. We'd love any recommendations on good places to eat in this area while we're visiting!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:38 AM

I had to hunt this thread out because I was just thinking of you today and wondering how it went!!! Are you guys home yet? What did your husband and son think of the area?

Did you find some nice places to eat? I'm sorry I never saw that last post.

I'm right behind ya, chickie. Three more weeks until my NJ visit.

Did you drive by Hubby's work?

Anyway...just checking in!

Old 09-21-2007, 06:32 AM

90 posts, read 362,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I had to hunt this thread out because I was just thinking of you today and wondering how it went!!! Are you guys home yet? What did your husband and son think of the area?

Did you find some nice places to eat? I'm sorry I never saw that last post.

I'm right behind ya, chickie. Three more weeks until my NJ visit.

Did you drive by Hubby's work?

Anyway...just checking in!
We're still here, going home this weekend to wrap everything up, but we are signing rent papers today, yay! We found an incredible house with lots of character and a fun yard that will be ours for at least a year. We love the area! It is so beautiful--the rolling hills, the trees, the weather this week was perfect! We tried a few places to eat, a couple were really good...Legal Seafood and Blue Moon Cafe, and the little pizzeria we ate at in Ridgewood was better than any pizza we get back home! Yes, we drove by his work, we mapped out the drive from the house and back, and it takes about 45 minute less than his current commute, so he was thrilled! Also went to DiPieros Farm with all of the pumpkins and hay bales! I'm really in love with this area, thanks for checking in!

Old 09-21-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
We're still here, going home this weekend to wrap everything up, but we are signing rent papers today, yay! We found an incredible house with lots of character and a fun yard that will be ours for at least a year. We love the area! It is so beautiful--the rolling hills, the trees, the weather this week was perfect! We tried a few places to eat, a couple were really good...Legal Seafood and Blue Moon Cafe, and the little pizzeria we ate at in Ridgewood was better than any pizza we get back home! Yes, we drove by his work, we mapped out the drive from the house and back, and it takes about 45 minute less than his current commute, so he was thrilled! Also went to DiPieros Farm with all of the pumpkins and hay bales! I'm really in love with this area, thanks for checking in!
Oh, I forgot about Legal Seafood!!! And Blue Moon Cafe is the shizzle, isn't it?

I am so happy for you guys, that you found a place and are all set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey