Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 10:27 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times

Advertisements

https://patch.com/new-jersey/middlet...campaign=alert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 01:00 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
For the life of me, I just do not understand the obsession with High School Rankings. So many people post here wanting their kid to go the absolute best high school and my parents wanted the same for me too.

I do understand not wanting your kid going to a high school where the dropout rate is 50% and gangs and drugs are a constant danger, but the difference between the rest of them are pretty nominal IMHO on how 'successful' and even more important, how happy you turn out as an adult.

I went to a pretty highly ranked high school and I've met people from Union, Hillside, Weequahic, Rahway, Piscataway, Roxbury high school, etc and they all turned out fine. A lot em are more 'successful' than me at least in terms of salary.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:20 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,870,328 times
Yeah, in NJ where they swap places over five years it's silly to move to the town with "the best" only to see it drop twenty places by the time your kid is of age...

Old 08-06-2018, 05:31 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,064,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
For the life of me, I just do not understand the obsession with High School Rankings.

Ditto.

For some, it's a FOMO thing -- those people also endlessly chase the best Consumer Report's ratings, the best Zagat ratings, etc.

For others, it's like having the right car in your driveway, carrying the right purse, smoking the right cigar...

Old 08-06-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Ditto.

For some, it's a FOMO thing -- those people also endlessly chase the best Consumer Report's ratings, the best Zagat ratings, etc.

For others, it's like having the right car in your driveway, carrying the right purse, smoking the right cigar...
As a mom who moved her poor son twice so we would be in a school district with good schools (not NJ), I have to disagree. Sometimes it really is about making sure your child gets the best education so they graduate with the skills they need to be able to make choices. It's all about choices.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:33 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
As a mom who moved her poor son twice so we would be in a school district with good schools (not NJ), I have to disagree. Sometimes it really is about making sure your child gets the best education so they graduate with the skills they need to be able to make choices. It's all about choices.
Going to a good school is often good enough. It doesn't have to be the best. My son started school in a terrible district (not NJ), so my husband and I fixed that.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:16 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,056,920 times
Quote:
^ It is about healthy choices and a district that supports the values you want for your kids. It is not about what is parked in your driveway or your dining choices, it's about exposing your kids to the most options you can afford for them.

These rankings are important to the parents, kids don't care, so its on the parents to make sure the kids don't flounder in AP classes or fall victim to the bad influences that are in all schools.
Parents get all twisted about these rankings without thinking about their responsibility in raising their kids.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
^ It is about healthy choices and a district that supports the values you want for your kids. It is not about what is parked in your driveway or your dining choices, it's about exposing your kids to the most options you can afford for them.

These rankings are important to the parents, kids don't care, so its on the parents to make sure the kids don't flounder in AP classes or fall victim to the bad influences that are in all schools.
Parents get all twisted about these rankings without thinking about their responsibility in raising their kids.
Why are you arguing when I basically agree with you.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:29 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,056,920 times
Quote:
Why are you arguing when I basically agree with you.
Not arguing at all, totally agree with you

Old 08-06-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Not arguing at all, totally agree with you
Cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey