Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:28 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Focused- View Post
I have no idea what a "taylor ham" or a pork roll is, so we're good there. lol

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the 'you can't pump your own gas' thing. So weird to me, but eh. Have to get used to it.

LOL, I live in Illinois. Taxes? Corrupt politicians? Every Governor we (aka Chicago) elect goes to prison.

I'm good with the no cutting in line thing. I just need to learn the Jersey stare now...

This is true! We in NJ were SO excited when your Blago was in the papers, because for once, it wasn't OUR governor!

Anyway, you might want to get yourself one of these T-shirts:

http://www.zazzle.com/new_jersey_whe...76370626515707

Welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,705 times
Quote:
I have no idea what a "taylor ham" or a pork roll is, so we're good there. lol...
No, you need to know these things, as these topics are still debated:

What is pork roll? Jersey Pork Roll

FWIW, in my High School cafteria it WAS called a pork roll (Woodbridge Twp.)

Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 AM

456 posts, read 833,418 times
Also get ready for corrupt politicians, especially in local politicians in North Jersey, anybody remember the Hoboken incident with the Mayor and Rabbis getting arrested?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:05 PM

118 posts, read 316,508 times
Get ready to struggle to find parking and when you finally get a spot you have to feed a meter. Keep change in your car. Get an EZ Pass as you will hit tolls almost any place you go.

Talk to locals because they always know the best places to eat and there are plenty of great independent eateries in NJ.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Whatever the speed limit is, feel free to drive five miles (or stretch to seven) an hour over it. Of course, that's on the surface roads. Don't be surprised when people are really speeding on the highways!

At a traffic circle, whoever gets to a certain point first has the right of way (LOL).
Circles are generally large, with four or five different roads converging.

In a roundabout, those already in the roundabout have the right of way.
Roundabouts are generally very small; either left or right turn; they take the place of a traffic light.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:36 PM

110 posts, read 204,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
What the hell is the "Jersey stare"?

Also, FYI many, many parts of NJ are rural. What part of NJ are you moving to? Unless it's the urban northeastern part of New Jersey EXTREMELY close to the city (NYC), NJ is really not terribly different from suburban and rural Illinois.
Passaic County. Yeah, I've noticed the North/South Jersey divide on this forum. It reminds me a lot of Illinois. North seems to look down on South and vice versa. I'm not saying everybody holds the same opinion. It's simply something that caught my eye. Different way of life, and what have you.

@Maast - 3 of our last 5 Governors were/are in prison. Apparently, I have a thing for corruption, as I'm moving from Illinois to Jersey.
@maryanne10 - Well, if the shoe fits... But no, I don't even think my roommate has much of accent, so it shouldn't be that bad. I have heard "Joisey" jokes repeatedly from friends and co-workers. Tsk tsk.
@va_bank - Noted. Most importantly of all, though, please tell me you call soda 'soda.' I refuse to EVER call it pop, lol.

Also, thank you all for the well wishes! I can't wait to get there and take everything in.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Soda is soda.

And a bag is a bag, not a sack like they say in Wisconsin.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:46 PM

110 posts, read 204,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Soda is soda.

And a bag is a bag, not a sack like they say in Wisconsin.
Do you mean like a grocery bag you'd find at the store?

Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,319 times
Brush up on all things Springsteen and BonJovi, too. Asbury Park still has a very good music scene. Get familiar with all members of the NJ Hall of Fame. Don't forget that there are lots of great places for music and sports here.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Do you mean like a grocery bag you'd find at the store?
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey