Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:56 PM

5 posts, read 17,088 times

Advertisements

Transportation between Manhattan and The Lenox is plentiful.

The 123 NJ bus (Palisades and 4th), the 125 NJ bus (Kennedy and 5th) and the private vans (Kennedy and 5th) all go to the Port Authority at 42nd and 8th. The 123 bus also leaves from The Lenox at 7:20 A.M. Mon-Fri. Then it goes on to Palisade Avenue for the regular route. This is great when the weather is terrible.

If you are in the city after the above van and bus routes end, you can catch a van on 42th between 8th and 9th until 3 A.M. These vans are heading for Bergenline in the oppposite direction of The Lenox. However, you can get off at the taxi stand shortly after the bus comes through the tunnel. The taxi to The Lenox is about $5.00.

Then there is the PATH. In case of an emergency at the Lincoln Tunnel, the PATH to Hoboken or Journal Square will allow you to take local buses to The Lenox area. And if you work in the WTC Area, a bus to Journal Square will put you 2 PATH stops from WTC PATH Station.

If all else fails, you can take the 99S from Port Authority to the Palisades and 1st Avenue. You can amble through the park to The Lenox. Not my first choice but it will get you home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 PM

5 posts, read 17,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
I went to look at these condos today and the apt's are very nice, the building still needs work and there are still low-income tenants living there so this project is about 1 year from completetion. I did like the apt but the area is a lil sketchy to me. I am 24 yrs old and i am lookin to move out and buy something in a decent area. any recommendations? i have a good amount of money saved, my budget would be 250k max for a 1 bedroom.

I would like close to NYC, thoughts on Journal square area? any help is appreciated as i am very new to this. Harrison ave? i saw some condos listed there.
Don't know which tenants you saw at The Lenox, but it was never a low income building. It has always been a community of working people. There are wroking class people of all kinds here: shop owners, teachers, factory workers, airport personnel, actors, doctors, lawyers, and even a Broadway producer in the building. Radio's Wendy Williams lived here at one point but moved away due to a stalker. One owner years ago was a bit lax with screening of new comers but for the most part we have fared well here at The Lenox.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:53 AM

12 posts, read 49,276 times
Kissie, are you a new owner or have been renting in the building for a while? Thanks for the positive post, it seems you've done your homework in researching the building's history, well done!!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:04 PM

11 posts, read 39,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcnyc View Post
DessertRat, the reason there's no solid tax info is because the building hasn't been officially assessed yet. So all the numbers you see in the sales office are estimates. So the figures are give or take. So assuming you purchase a unit and after the assessment your taxes are $400 a month, then with the abatement you would pay $75 the first year...then $150 the second year, then $225 the third year, etc, etc...up until you hit the official $400 on the 5th year. Then the abatement is over and you just go by whatever the assessment is. Hope this makes some sense....or if im wrong someone please correct me but this is how I understand it.
I was told by one of the sales people that the assessment was already done and the next assessment would occur approximately 15 years in the future. I was not interested in purchasing so never went as far as having them put any tax numbers on paper.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,151 times
Coming from Wall Street where buy low and sell high is the name of the game, The Lenox is exactly what I was looking for. You CAN'T beat FULL NYC views(16th floor) at $385sqft.........these prices dont exist in hoboken(only 4 blocks away), jc, wny, nb and forget about bergen county. I give the building 4-6 years and then ill be laughing all the way to the bank.

On another note, some of these post make me laugh and the ones that make me laugh are these deadbeats who have nothing but negativity to say about the building or the town. I wonder if its because they have no money or maybe they just have busted up credit and cant get a mortgage..........maybe its that they cant understand simple mathematics. Dessertrat.....it seems that you and math did not get along together and I think you meant desertrat not dessert rat, its seems that spelling was not the best of youre subjects as well.

If you want me to explain tax abatement or simple mathematics................please feel free to contact me.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:23 PM

11 posts, read 39,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLSTREETBULL View Post
Coming from Wall Street where buy low and sell high is the name of the game, The Lenox is exactly what I was looking for. You CAN'T beat FULL NYC views(16th floor) at $385sqft.........these prices dont exist in hoboken(only 4 blocks away), jc, wny, nb and forget about bergen county. I give the building 4-6 years and then ill be laughing all the way to the bank.

On another note, some of these post make me laugh and the ones that make me laugh are these deadbeats who have nothing but negativity to say about the building or the town. I wonder if its because they have no money or maybe they just have busted up credit and cant get a mortgage..........maybe its that they cant understand simple mathematics. Dessertrat.....it seems that you and math did not get along together and I think you meant desertrat not dessert rat, its seems that spelling was not the best of youre subjects as well.

If you want me to explain tax abatement or simple mathematics................please feel free to contact me.
Another shill.

Possibly another post by a saleperson at the Lenox.

If everyone reads the entire thread you'll see the posts categorized as "negative" are objective opinions.

While every so often you'll notice a post like the above that contains personal attacks... followed by lines that can be pulled out from the Lenox literature like "FULL NYC VIEWS" etc. etc.

People would view these "negative" posts as a devil's advocate point of view.... except of course someone that has a vested interested in selling these condos.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:26 AM

Ok, let's keep things mature here, no need for name calling/mud slinging....the election is being held tonight in PA, not Union City....

So here's my first thoughts, being i've been living there for 2 weeks now and have been extra attentive to notice specific things:

1. I havent noticed a single roach/insect in any area of the building(yet). Now i know it's inevitable that one will pop up somewhere, no place is immune to them, you could walk into Warren Buffet's apartment and there will be roaches lurking if he hasnt taken out his trash in a week. So far, so good....

2. Building maintenance has been good and responsive so far. I put in 2 seperate service requests so far and they were both addressed by the time i got home from work. A+ on that.

3. The hallways on my floor are still unfinished, which a bit disappointing but i knew that this was a project that still needed to be completed, so hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

4. It's true about dog crap in the neighborhood....watch your step!!

5. Luckily, my apartment faces Manhattan. The first thing people have said when they've walked in is "wow, nice!"

6. I'm pleased with the concierge service, but i think there's room for improvement. I know i've only been living here 2 weeks so far, and again, so far so good. Obviously, this isn't 5th, Park or 3rd Avenue here. You get what you pay for and considering what i paid, i really have no room whatsoever to complain. So i won't!! I will be active when we establish a board though to hopefully tweak some things.

7. It can get a little noisy when you sit in complete silence with the noise from the school/playground....but once i got my cable hooked up and have the TV on and other distractions, it all blends in, you barely notice it. Just like living in any urban city/metropolitan area....if you live around people, you're obviously going to hear them...let's be realistic here.

I think that's it for now. I'll try to keep posting updates regarding the good/bad things i notice. Feel free to PM me if you have a question, ill try to answer it best i can

Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 PM

Ok, here's another update...

- Still no roaches or rodent sightings of any kind...whew!!

- Is there a reason the supermarkets and corner stores around here don't sell beer? Just thought that was a bit akward, luckily there is a liquor store across the street and another not too far on New York Ave (i think) that does

- In terms of quality of life/crime issues....i noticed an interesting aspect about the neighborhood. There's obviously some debate here regarding the urban feel to the neighborhood. I have compared it to living in one of the 5 boroughs of NYC, which is where i was raised. Perhaps im not looking closely enough, but i've noticed there is hardly any grafitti on any walls/storefronts/sides of apartment buildings. This isnt even common in Manhattan! I was coming home the other night (maybe 11pm or so), and i noticed the gates on the Fine Fare on the corner were totally grafitti free. Then i looked on my side of the street and the same for the wall housing the school's basketball courts. Same for most of the neighborhood. If this was Queens/Brooklyn/The Bronx, even Manhattan.....those walls would be bombed out from one night to the next. So i think this can be used as some sort of an indicator. Perhaps people are (naturally and unfortunately) stereotyping the appearance of certain people in the neighborhood? Maybe that dark skinned kid walking down the block wearing baggy jeans and an oversized hoody really doesnt have a Glock tucked into his jeans? Or...maybe i'm wrong and just havent lived here long enough yet? lol, We'll soon find out! But i'm pretty comfy walking down the block at 11pm/midnight....

- Maintenance is kinda slippin....still waiting on some repairs

Ok, my turn to ask a question: Can anyone tell me how the tax incentive works? My bank is collecting taxes for the unit but if the developer is supposed to be paying the first 2 yrs....then who do i go see to get that money back?

Feel free to PM me with a question/answer

Old 05-01-2008, 03:55 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcnyc View Post
Ok, here's another update...

- Still no roaches or rodent sightings of any kind...whew!!
Roaches will come out when it gets cold, same with the mice. Give it time. Glad its working out for you.. I sold my condo in JC in January and that was the happiest time of my life (besides marriage/kids).

Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the positive outlook todd72173!! I look forward to battling the roaches and mice!! Although i like think that my style of living shouldnt really appeal to them....

Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay in NJ. I read up on some of your previous posts and it seems you're a bit bitter that your 2 year investment in NJ didn't pay off as well as you would have liked, although you should have known that in this market you can't plant a seed and expect a full rose garden in just 2 years.

It seems you also don't take well to persons of other cultures/ethnicities. I'm a Latino and i grew up in Queens, the son of 2 immigrants. My parents spoke zero English when they came here. Why should you care that the McDonald's menu is in Spanish if its in English also? (for those of you scratching your head, todd was very upset in another post that the McDonalds menu was in Spanish...lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey